collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 43
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: on making my first offering (at the risk of sounding stupid)  (Read 29388 times)

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
Re: on making my first offering (at the risk of sounding stupid)
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 06:28:34 am »
Quote from: Denderah
While I understand that it's the intent behind the offering, is there something specific I should be offering to Set?  Since I haven't a clue what I'm doing yet, I worry about offending him.  My research is very conflicting.  Some say he'll only take rum, others insist only wine or beer.  I'm confused.

I've not found Him to be picky. I suggest going with your gut, now that you've done some homework, and offer what you think would be appropriate.

Like Khesret, I've found He likes His offerings consumed, so if you offer food/drink, make it something you, too, would enjoy.  He also likes to enjoy the  offerings with you, He does not like it when I leave something out for Him. So I suggest offering (if you can) and sitting down whim Him to share in it. He and I have great conversations when I do this. So, when you offer, sit and visit! :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Taqaisenu »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 09:29:40 am »
What about Sobek and Hathor? What offerings do you give them? I'm thinking about starting a shrine dedicated to Sobek and Hathor (they won't be Egyptian because my mother got really ticked off that I spent so much of her money on her card for my Egypt things even though she didn't tell me that I couldn't) and I'm going to have it in the hall.
I follow the rhythm of Egypt.

Offline Sobekemiti

• Shemsu
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 09:47:45 am »
I cant help with Hethert, but I do know Sobek. He likes alcoholic spirits (doesn't seem keen on beer; apparently it's not strong enough?), anything green and/or shiny, jewellery, trinkets, chicken, and possibly red meat (I haven't tried it, but He might appreciate it). I also write Him prayers and hymns and things, which He seems to like as well. But go with your instincts.

If you're looking for representations of Sobek and Hethert that aren't particularly Egyptian-looking, try a small toy figure of a crocodile, and maybe a cow for Hethert? It could be innocuous enough to not look much like a shrine. Maybe add a small green crystal for Sobek? Start with little things, things that are meaningful to you, and aren't that obvious to anyone observing them. I hope that's helpful. :)
Sobekemiti ('Sobek is my Daddy') | Genderfluid (they/them) | Sau Apprentice
mes-en-Sobek Shedety
meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Aset, Djehuty, her Wepwawet
Per Sebek (new url) | Emiti's carrd

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 09:55:23 am »
Thanks, which I could help my hypocrite mother and her desire a few months ago to spend over $200.00 on Acai berry pills. Now I blew my top over that (found them on Penn Herb company here in the states for under $10.00 a piece). Heck she should be happy that I didn't want the super expensive Egyptian statues and thought about her feelings. Of course she forgot all about the Acai Berry pills when she was yelling at me.

Offline The Tai'awepwawet System

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 10:13:40 am »
Quote from: Setkheni_itw
lettuce (especially good leaf lettuce or garden lettuce that has milky sap

Knowing the reasoning behind that, I'm going to grimace at the thought of reverting *that* offering XDDDDD
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
Meset Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhety, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, her Sekhmet-Hethert
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴
Our Blog + Links to Carrd and Incense Spreadsheet

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 05:51:52 pm »
Something that I've found as an odd offering and I also think maybe a sense of piety is change, money. Not dollar bills but maybe a couple of  coins that you have in your pocket and using that to continue to give other offerings. Trust me those little pennies grow.

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 08:35:56 pm »
Quote from: 3467
What about Sobek and Hathor? What offerings do you give them?

For Hethert, the simplest thing you can do is offer Her fresh, fragrant, beautiful flowers. Undyed. It's not overtly kemetic, and it brightens up any room or hallway. :)  You can offer Her pretty much anything that makes YOU happy and joyful. Singing and dancing, joyful sound anmd movement, also go a long way. Offer to Her the baking of cupcakes, then give them all away. Spreading joy and happiness in Her Name, one cupcake at a time. :)

She is less about the 'stuff' than She is about the effort and the intent.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 10:27:42 pm »
Hethert (Hathor) I tend to call upon more than I always think I do... I get a sort of sweet, feminine vibe from Her (not a weak one, certainly) and my first instincts are always to offer flowers, cosmetics, candy, instruments, and jewelry.  Also beer, but I think I pretty much offer that to everyone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Setkheni_itw »
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 10:32:08 pm »
Quote from: Taqaisenu
While I understand that it's the intent behind the offering, is there something specific I should be offering to Set?  Since I haven't a clue what I'm doing yet, I worry about offending him.  My research is very conflicting.  Some say he'll only take rum, others insist only wine or beer.  I'm confused.

I've not found Him to be picky. I suggest going with your gut, now that you've done some homework, and offer what you think would be appropriate.

Like Khesret, I've found He likes His offerings consumed, so if you offer food/drink, make it something you, too, would enjoy.  He also likes to enjoy the  offerings with you, He does not like it when I leave something out for Him. So I suggest offering (if you can) and sitting down whim Him to share in it. He and I have great conversations when I do this. So, when you offer, sit and visit! :)

In Tameran Wicca, this is always the way I made offerings.  I love to just sit with the Gods and talk.  For some reason, I didn't think this would be okay in K.O.  I guess I thought it was too casual. As you can see, I really need to take the beginner's course.  Thanks so much for your post.  
Deep into the darkness, peering
     long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal
     ever dared to dream before.

- Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven"

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 10:37:58 pm »
Can I ask one more question.  When you say Set wants the offering to be consumed with you, does this mean I would pour some beer (this is what I'll be using) into a separate chalice for him or would I drink from the same chalice offered to him?  

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2010, 10:51:44 pm »
This really clarified things for me.  Since I don't consume alcohol stronger than light beer, it's a relief to know that I won't have to use rum, which I've never tasted.  

Honestly, it never occurred to me to just ask Set what he wanted, which is a bit weird since I've done this several times with Anpu and even Sekhmet.  

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 10:56:32 pm »
Quote from: Setkheni_itw
I agree with Khesret... a lot of this is going to depend on what the particular worshiper can or will consume.

As far as drinks, although I like rum, I don't drink it often and therefore don't offer it often.  When I drink alcohol it's usually beer, which I do offer.  Most often I offer Coke Zero.  Why?  Because that's what I've been drinking.  I'd say that rum, whiskey, brandy, and beer are good choices.  I don't drink coffee anymore, but I used to offer that too.  Oh, and like seven or so years ago I used to offer Him Burger King a lot.  I'm not suggesting it, I'm just saying it worked.

I'd also say that red meat, lettuce (especially good leaf lettuce or garden lettuce that has milky sap), ethnic food, dark chocolate, and spicy/piquant foods are great.  Hot sauce, stuff like that.

Coke Zero, huh?  That's my favorite drink, next to hazelnut coffee.  I had no idea you could use every day food items like this in offerings.  Even in Tameran Wicca,I didn't realize this was accepted.  

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2010, 11:25:58 pm »
Can I ask one more question.  When you say Set wants the offering to be consumed with you, does this mean I would pour some beer (this is what I'll be using) into a separate chalice for him or would I drink from the same chalice offered to him?  

In my experience, this is just to consume what has been offered. He's already gotten what he wants from it the moment it's offered, and then it's been returned, so to speak, for the one making the offering to partake.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 12:37:38 am »
Coke Zero, huh?  That's my favorite drink, next to hazelnut coffee.  I had no idea you could use every day food items like this in offerings.  Even in Tameran Wicca,I didn't realize this was accepted.

When I offered soda the first time the first thing that popped into my head was "I like the bubbles, they burn."

Generally speaking, because in Kemetic Orthodoxy we are expected to use our offerings after offering them to Netjer, we offer stuff that we eat and drink.  And since in theory those of us specifically Kemetic Orthodox perform Senut every day, it wouldn't be very functional to buy a whole different set of food items just for Senut.

Reminds me of a picture I saw once, actually.  (Searches, finds) Ah, here we go.  This is a picture of a pile of offerings at a Wep Ronpet gathering.  There's Coke, doughnuts, I see some Pom Wonderful there, some Cheetohs, I swear there are mint Lifesavers somewhere in there...
http://gallery.kemet.org/album18/15_0158

Oh, here's another one revealing Chewy bars and more doughnuts.  Very nice.
http://gallery.kemet.org/album18/17_0160

I do buy and prepare special foods for feast days and when I'm in the mood to, but on a general basis... no.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Setkheni_itw »
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 02:04:47 am »
Love the photo. So what do you guys think about leaving money in a little container (for those that have some sense of will power) so that you can keep on buying the offering and incense. In our family we use to be unable to save anything up because we couldn't afford to do that. However since my brother has started working we have been able to because so much of my mother's money isn't focused on bills and food.

Yesterday I did my first Senut, messed up on a couple of points, and gave my offering of incense to Sekhmet. However I had read a couple of days ago that a woman, who use to be a Hellenist, gave coins to Sobek when she did her ritual along with whatever you give Sobek (I think she kept on giving him soda because she doesn't drink or something like that). Well at the end of the year she had well over three hundred dollars to spend on offerings, candles, and even something new for her shrine.

Pretty cool.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal