collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: on making my first offering (at the risk of sounding stupid)  (Read 29386 times)

Offline Tanebet

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Sebau (Education Director), Semer-Wati
  • Administrator
Re: on making my first offering (at the risk of sounding stupid)
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 09:51:10 am »
Em Hotep *henu*,

if you offer coins it would probably be a good idea to ask the deity in question if it is OK to retrieve the money and buy shrine itmes after some times. Some Gods might tell you that once you offered something it has to stay inside the shrine. Same goes e.g. for jewelery. I am allowed to borrow jewelery I once offered for special occasions but it always has to go back into the shrine after wearing it. And some jewelery I am not allowed to borrow at all.

Senebty
Tanebet
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2010, 10:01:29 am »
Oh I intend on doing that as well as offering things like rings and other things to Sekhmet and the other gods on my shrine. I think that it's important to ask them for permission. Right now I have no need for the money to use for anything so it will just keep growing and growing. At some point I'll ask Sekhmet if I can use the money for something special and see if she gives her okay.
I follow the rhythm of Egypt.

Offline The Tai'awepwawet System

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2010, 10:22:51 am »
Wep Ronpet morning offerings ftw. This year we said "Less dessert food please! It's BREAKFAST!" and ended up with more fruit juice and nutri-grain than any human could possibly consume.

I have some coins offered to Wepwawet, but I've never considered a kind of.... offered saving fund. Interesting. They probably would be okay with it because a) the money is staying with them in another form, and b) they have no use for a huge amount.
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
Meset Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhety, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, her Sekhmet-Hethert
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴
Our Blog + Links to Carrd and Incense Spreadsheet

Offline Enbibibast

• Shemsu
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 10:33:49 am »
I give Heru-Wer all the US quarters I can find with the falcon on the back. (I think the state is Idaho?) The first time I offered some, it went over really well and I've been doing it ever since.

I haven't discussed it with Him but I'm quite sure He would be fine with the re-investment into better shrine materials. :D
Enbibibast | Bibi
Daughter of Bast
Beloved of | Wepwawet-Yinepu | Djehuty | Sekhmet-Hethert | Heru-wer |
Tumblr

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 11:07:26 am »
Now if they just had a State coin that had a lion on it then that would be cool. I have another question and this one is about incense. After you do the Senut do you keep the incense burning? I know that you put the flame out of your candle but what about the incense.

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions.

Offline The Tai'awepwawet System

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 11:21:56 am »
Yeah it's Idaho. I got one from Hethert which bugs me because it's missing from my state collection. Argh! Also it has a picture of the state which I think looks like Aset's throne glyph :P

I put my incense out, but I know a lot let it burn out (and like Morning Star for that purpose, as it burns for a good length for Senut, or can be snapped to preference)
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
Meset Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhety, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, her Sekhmet-Hethert
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴
Our Blog + Links to Carrd and Incense Spreadsheet

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 11:37:54 am »
I'll keep a look out for Idaho quarters. I stamped my stick incense because the praybook didn't tell me that I was to let it burn completely. Thanks for telling me.

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 12:06:18 pm »
I typically let my incense burn out on its own. I keep it in a bowl of purified bamboo ash used in the Japanese incense ceremony, but you can also use sand or salt for the same effect. The result has been that my shrine cabinet now permanently smells like red sandalwood.

FWIW, I use Morning Star red sandalwood. It's inexpensive, but it's fairly pure by our standards, i.e. it doesn't contain elements like uric acid and cow dung often found in cheap incenses and incenses from India. Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa incense is one from India that is also pure in this way.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 01:02:06 pm »
I actually read in the prayerbook about some of the incense that comes outs that has this. My mother made a face when she heard about this. Where I live at we have a mall not too far away, and I mean walking distance away, and I asked the man about the incense that he sells. It's pure Japanese incense. Does Japanese incense have uric acid and cow dung?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 01:02:42 pm by 3467 »

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 01:24:29 pm »
Quote from: 3467
Does Japanese incense have uric acid and cow dung?

I don't think it would.  

As far as I know, Japanese incense is pure by our standards, while in India cows are sacred so they'd use the cow dung in incense.  
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut,  Bast-Mut, Shu, Tefnut

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 01:25:00 pm »
I get my incense from www.nipponkodo.com.  It has their Morning Star lines as well as many other things.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 01:30:20 pm »
while in India cows are sacred so they'd use the cow dung in incense.

Not all incenses from India, however, have cow dung.  If you know what to look for that isn't always the case. Most ayurvedic incenses do not have cow dung in them.

I use Nag Champa Satya Sai Baba and have had good luck. I also use Pondicherry, Blue Pearl, and Fred Soll's when I can find it, but it is frightfully expensivee.  Hoever, none of thise have dung.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 04:04:45 pm »
Using cow dung is totally gross and I mean it. Thanks for telling me as now I don't feel like I'll be burning anything impure. Right now I have enough incense, I'm using hand-dipped incense, but as soon as its gone I'll be going to the Oriental shop and buying the Japanese incense.

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2010, 08:16:04 pm »
Japanese incense is just ground herbs and tree bark, so no, it doesn't have uric acid or dung. Nippon Kodo and Shoyeido are two reputable companies who sell incense we could consider pure. Their products range from very affordable bulk incense to incense that's hundreds of dollars a package due to its quality and the rarity of its components.

http://www.shoyeido.com/

http://www.nipponkodostore.com/
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2010, 08:26:01 pm »
I'm going to bookmarks these sites so that I don't have to worry about not being able to find them. Thanks Khesretitui. I'll buy these and try them out well before I run out of incense.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal