Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Question on disconnect of culture and immediate geographic area.  (Read 17210 times)

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Question on disconnect of culture and immediate geographic area.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 08:38:38 am »
Hotep!

And I have never felt any draw to the gods of Rome (I am Italian by birth). I even did try a few years back.

But there it is :) And i Have been to Italy several times in several areas as well too. Didn't help me there.

Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 09:12:28 am »
Quote from: GabrielWithoutWings

I honestly think I'm one of those people who just aren't wired to believe in gods.

That's possible. Or you just haven't found a way of connecting that works for you yet.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Naisenu

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 10:23:42 am »
Quote from: Sedjemes
The name of that book is _Early Hydraulic Civilization in Egypt_ by Karl W. Butzer.

I found an online PDF copy of that book if anyone wants to read it.

Offline Sehedjef

• Rev. Sehedjef - Ordained Clergy - Semer-Wati
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 10:30:11 am »
Quote from: GabrielWithoutWings

There are often times that I'm reminded just how spiritually defunct I am.  Here is one example.

I never have spiritual moments concerning geography.  A river is just... a river.  A forest is a large grouping of trees.

I honestly think I'm one of those people who just aren't wired to believe in gods.

Hotep!
I must admit I don't often have spirital moments when looking at rivers or forests...not that I have rivers or forests to look at since I'm in the middle of a city.  ^_^  Usually I'll get a flash of one of the Names when seeing a nice sunruse or something but it tends to be very brief and a rare treat when it happens.  I think it's easy to get caught up in the hectic pace of our lives and either take nature's wonders and beuaty for granted or be oblivious to it all too often.  Also in the US we aren't encouraged to display outward signs of faith in society, which doesn't help.

Senebty,
Imti
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Imyutimuti »
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Sa Nebthet her Serqet
Mery Ptah her Tasenetnofret

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 10:51:17 am »
Geography can be very important, especially in belief systems where the land and the plants and animals on it are believed to have life, spirits.

I think to truly understand the Netjeru fully, we can take them away from Egypt but we can't take them *out* of Egypt. Who is Wesir without the black Nile silt and the green shoots of crops in it. Who is Set without the sand beyond it. Who is Hapi without the Nile. (Edit: You can see these deities in other things, Hapi in any river, Set in a tornado, but without their Kemetic forms, they seem... hollowed out, to me.)

The Gods can go anywhere, be anywhere, but that land is them and they are that land, so while we are not required to want to live there (I'd rather shoot myself in the head, not joking) it does help if we can somehow understand or (even better) connect with how Kemet worked.

I feel the same way about Scotland and modern druids, especially American based ones. I tend to feel if they are connecting to the spirit of any land at all (many won't be, they'll just connect with the belief system of that modern religion) then it's Ireland, or the Southern regions like England and Wales. Visiting anywhere, including Egypt, is always the best way, because it's only then that you can sink your hand in past the ground and know whether you've missed the mark.

Plus it can just be really profound anyway. To see where the Gods were 'born'.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:52:41 am by Taiawepwawet »
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, Hethert-Amenti, her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice • Self-care Hethert-Amenti Advocate
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓏣𓋌𓇼

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 12:13:06 pm »
Em hotep, Gabriel, et al...

I first met Bast on a moonlit night and Shu in a raging wind-storm, both in North Central Pennsylvania (USA). I first met Sobek and Sekhmet at night in a dream.  We were in a place below the earth, somewhere in the in-between of the Duat and this plane.  So no, I don't feel that geography limits my relationship to my Gods.

I wrote a big long explanation below, but when I finished, I realized that it really boils down to "Gods go where Their people go."  Since the Kemetic Gods have people all around the world, They are present all around the world. (My opinion)

You can read the big long windy thing below if you feel like torturing yourselves :D

Blessings,
Tahai

I, also, am one of the people without much real interest in Egypt, Ancient or modern.  I used to think this meant I wasn't really Kemetic, but then my Gods put things into perspective.  They made an analogy between Their blossoming relationship with me, and starting any new relationship.  When we first meet someone, we make our judgments and opinions on who that person is in the here and now, not based on who they used to be long before we knew them.  It is not required that we know every bit of their back-story before we create a bond with them.  Learning about a person's past, the things that make them who they are now, comes with time, exposure and trust.  Relationships with the Gods, as They explained it to me, work the same way.  They are not immutable.

My Gods used to be Gods of the geographic area now known as Egypt, because that is where Their people lived.  That is Who They were.  Now, in this time, my Gods rule and guide the modern Kemetic People, and we are scattered all around the world, thus, my Gods have expanded Their range (if it was ever limited to begin with).
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 01:03:42 pm »
Quote from: Naisenu
The name of that book is _Early Hydraulic Civilization in Egypt_ by Karl W. Butzer.

I found an online PDF copy of that book if anyone wants to read it.

Thank you, Nai
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 04:40:28 pm »
I'm really envious of people like all of you.  I keep reading that you 'felt Set' during an event or you can somehow know that Nebt-het likes cheetos and pepsi.  You can 'feel' Aset when it rains.  You get intuitions and semi-peak experiences.  You get UPG and inspiration because you somehow can 'feel' these beings.

I can't feel anything spiritual like that.

As far as me needing to find what works for me because I'm wired weird, that road will come to an end very soon.  I've researched just about every belief system out there that remotely interests me and end up with the same conclusion.

I'm wired with all-brain and no heart, so to speak.

Still, I won't forfeit without actually entering the race, so I'll sit by and await the beginner's class.

Thank you all for your responses.

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 04:50:26 pm »
Hotep Gabriel

I confess, it breaks my heart whenever I hear anyone feeling bereft or envious or bewildered or whatever, because they hear of experiences of others in "hearing" or "sensing" Netjer but they don't.

Now, I am the last person to suggest that anyone *needs* to be religious or be spiritual or have to believe in god no matter what. One can decide to talk to god and behave spiritually, e.g. make offerings, commemorate festival days, talk to god, talk to god--one can decide that one believes god exists and behave accordingly--that is all one's decision.

The rest of it, hearing, sensing, all that personal stuff--that may or may not come, and it may actually be happening in ways so personal and particular to any one person that one may not even be aware of it. God may be talking to you in ways that work best for you--the fact that it is not a sensation from the rain or wind may be irrelevant, because not pertinent to your particular spiritual *need*.

DOn't sweat it. Relax. *If* you have begun from a place of believing god exists and that god actually cares about you,and you are comfortable talking to and talking with god--you may find as time goes by, if you relax and just beahve accordingly, that your own brand of UPG will kick in (and may already have done so!
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 09:03:44 pm »
I second what Sedjemes says here, it's sage advice, and it does make me sad that you have not been able to find the experiences you've been seeking.

You kind of remind me of my boyfriend, who is so sealed off that even were he to have an experience, it would most likely make little to no impression. But then again, he's also atheist and doesn't believe in well, anything. He's just really not looking for any kind of spirituality. Oddly enough he speaks of feeling a "connectedness" to "something" when he is surfing. He denies, however, that this is remotely spiritual. I may think otherwise, but it doesn't really matter, as it's not MY experience.

I think (at least it has been in my experience) that coming from a place of "mind" (I came to neo-paganism and the HON, and quite honestly still am to a small degree-Agnostic) does present special challenges. The gods have taken upon Themselves to get past my stubborn barriers and make me a believer, but I had to let Them IN. I had to crack the door.

For me it has *only* been through a blending of science and magic, physics and spirituality, that I have been able to suspend the disbelief needed for faith.

So I do smell what you're stepping in here. The key for ME has been ALL about openess. Deciding to just take the plunge and really let myself be open to things that most people would consider crazy.

:  o
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Ta_Imu_Aset »
Timu

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 09:08:29 am »
I am one of the people in the house who spends a lot of time going "I didn't feel anything like that at all", and "Was probably just wind".

It's hard, being a mental person and a bit closed off. There's not much you can do except find a belief system you find works for you and then keep plugging at it.

Once you've done the class you will learn Senut, and I find Senut is a very good time for sitting and being open. I never hear anything, but it always helps me to feel like... it's a good thing. It's a good way to learn how to quiet down the niggling voices. The routine of preparing for and doing Senut leads you up to a prayer time in which eventually you will have learned to switch your brain off. It's good. It's a practice you can then take away from that ritual.
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, Hethert-Amenti, her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice • Self-care Hethert-Amenti Advocate
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓏣𓋌𓇼

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 10:12:09 am »
Hello, GabrielWithoutWings,

Maybe you're just trying too hard? I've had times when I have been looking for answers or signs or whatever, from a spiritual direction, but have been so caught up in the "I can't feel, hear... anything" mindset to actually notice the signs that were soo obvious, once I stopped stressing about the situation.

Maybe just chill out a bit, spiritually, (I've had "Stop bothering me!" messages before now plenty of times), and see what happens.

That probably didn't help, but best of luck  :).
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 10:18:14 am »
Yeah, probably about 80% of the time I totally need to just "get out of my own way" and stop overthinking things....
Timu

Offline Seshagemseger

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 01:06:55 pm »
The rest of it, hearing, sensing, all that personal stuff--that may or may not come, and it may actually be happening in ways so personal and particular to any one person that one may not even be aware of it.

This, a million times.

We have a lot of expectations about how we're supposed to hear, see, or feel the Divine, that we wind up hampering our recognition of the communication/communion we actually are getting.
Child of Seshat
Beloved of Hethert, Serqet, and Shu
seshat.org / Facebook / LiveJournal

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 04:14:30 pm »
Em Hotep:

When I studied Christianity I never "connected" to God the way the people around me seemed to do.  I never cried when certain songs were sung or when people related heart-breaking experiences.  It just didn't resonate with me.  With Asatru and a few others I got much the same thing.  Thing is, with the Netjer, I never sought Them out, They came to me.  Wepwawet thought it very funny to manifest physically and scare the crap outta me by walking on my back when I was asleep (thus making me wake up and nearly wet myself, because I thought a demon was on my back).  As I've stated in other posts, I feel no connection to Egypt at all, but the strongest connection to anything from Netjer.

So keep studying.  Something brought you here.  Look into the reasons you came here and just ask Netjer for an answer.  You might also ask for verification of certain answers with certain physical signs or words spoken (or typed) from others that only you would know.  Be specific.

Senebty,
"Do not be arrogant because of your knowledge, but confer with the ignorant man as with the learned. For knowledge has no limits, and none has yet achieved perfection in it." - The Maxims of Pthahotep

Son of Hethert-Mut/Heru-Wer Beloved of Yinepu, Set and Djehuty

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3131
  • stats Total Posts: 294097
  • stats Total Topics: 20038
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 113
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything