Register
collapse collapse

* Donation Status

37%   Current donation status as of January 22, 2021 = $932 of $2,500 (37%)   Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Yinepu/Wepwawet(?) Statue  (Read 10425 times)

Yinepu/Wepwawet(?) Statue
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:10:10 am »

I just *needed* to share this statue...that is full of ass-kickery.

http://www.cozmictoyz.com/arh-studios-anubis-the-egyptian-god-statue.html

I dunno I might be prejudiced here, but I get more "Wepwawet" than Yinepu with this one, even though it's black.

Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Yinepu/Wepwawet(?) Statue
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:14:10 am »
That has a lot more Wepwawet to it, although I usually get Dad more Controlled Warrior even when he's roaring/snarling. Also it's brown/black. Also saved, because it has digitrade legs complete-with-dew-claws, and even the right kilt that Dad has when I 'see' him. Awesome!

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:16:45 am »
I know, I think I might have to get that one...

:  o

I'm getting this "oh oh, yes yes!" rapid nodding thing right now...lol.
Timu

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:18:55 am »
I WISH it wasn't so expensive, I've spent so much recently (looking at you, Retreat!), omg I want it :(((( It *is* good isn't it, haha. Even though the face isn't him, I do think that if I asked him he'd probably go "So??? IT'S BADASS. IT'S TOTALLY ME."

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 09:30:47 am »
Yeah the face is a little off but I just keep getting "geeeeet iiiiit" in my head...lol.

Holy crap, I didn't look at the price until just now. Ouch.
Timu

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 09:31:07 am »
That is an awesome statue!  

And it looks brown to me and he's carrying a weapon.  This screams Wepwawet to me.  Yinepu isn't really a warrior.  

And the face reminds me of a snarling wolf, warding someone away from their pack.  Hehe.  Like, "Do you really want to mess with me?"  :-)  

TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut her Bast-Mut

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 10:05:15 am »
count me in as someone hearing WANT!
Of course that want should also come with the funds because i can't justify that cost right now. :/
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 10:08:00 am »
OMG DADDY! lol sorry.... 'blush'

That is a wicked awesome statue though! Thanks for sharing!
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 10:25:15 am »
Wow, their Medusa would make a good Renenutet too...without the red eyes of course, and maybe minus the frozen soldier dude. Haa...

:  o
Timu

Offline Bekamuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 10:39:23 am »
WAAAAAANT
That Wepwawet is gorgeous.
Want the Medusa as well, because Cihuacoatl popped in my mind lately.

Sigh, so expensive though.
- Bekamuti

Sa Nebt-het & Hethert
Mery Mut & Wepwawet.

Offline Rev. Raheri

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 11:23:40 am »
Sweet!
Son of Wesir-Sokar | Heri-sesheta
Awakening in Amenti | revmatt@kemet.org

"O my Mother Nut, stretch Yourself over me,
that I may be placed among the imperishable stars which are in You, and that I may never die."

Offline weshebutAmunRa

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 01:29:52 pm »
That is *so* awesome.
sa/t Amun-Ra
mery/t Mut, Yinepu, Khonsu, Serqet, and Bast

"Let me be your reason; let me be your spark. Let me be the torch that sets fire to your heart." Nachtmahr, "The Torch"

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 12:53:34 am »
How can you all tell the difference between Anpu and Wepwawet?  Anpu was the first Egyptian deity to make himself known to me (I considered him my Patron deity when I was Wiccan) and have spent a lot of time with him in ritual.  But, I can't tell these two apart.

Deep into the darkness, peering
     long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal
     ever dared to dream before.

- Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven"

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 04:25:54 am »
Quote from: Denderah
How can you all tell the difference between Anpu and Wepwawet?  Anpu was the first Egyptian deity to make himself known to me (I considered him my Patron deity when I was Wiccan) and have spent a lot of time with him in ritual.  But, I can't tell these two apart.

Do you mean visually-speaking? If you do mean visually, you often really can't and it is up to you to decide if any given statue strikes you more as Anubis or more as Wepwawet. :)

Generally speaking, Wepwawet is more often shown as a standing black jackal on a standard and Anubis as a lying down black jackal on a shrine. However, Wepwawet also frequently shows up as a lying down jackal, most often on funerary stelae but there are examples elsewhere too. You can only tell it is him because of what is written, but it does mean a recumbent jackal can be used for him, particularly in connection to his psychopompic aspect. (I associate him in the standing position more with 'this world' kind of stuff.) I've been told Anubis can also be shown as a standing jackal on a standard, but I have yet to see an example of this with my own eyes. :)

When it comes to the jackal-headed human form, there are examples where Wepwawet is shown with a white/grey head, but I get the impression he is just as often depicted with a black head too. He really is like a twin to Anubis, so once again it comes down to the inscription and who is being named. If the context is one of mummification and preparing the deceased (jackal-headed deity leaning over a body for example), it is always Anubis. Also, based on the frequency of appearance in ancient depictions, it seems there is a general trend of Wepwawet somehow 'prefering' to be shown in full standing jackal form, with Anubis 'prefering' jackal-headed human.

When it comes to modern statuary which won't have any inscription, or maybe just has jibberish, it really is up to you. I'd personally lean towards identifying an armed jackal deity as Wepwawet, such as in the case of the statue being talked about in this thread. :D Also I have found that some modern statues and reliefs are based on ancient examples and in those cases a bit of research can reveal who is being depicted.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Nefersedt »
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 08:54:11 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to answer me so thoroughly.  This was most helpful.  I'm learning so much from all of you - what a great experience.  I can't wait to take the beginner's course!  
Deep into the darkness, peering
     long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal
     ever dared to dream before.

- Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven"

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3335
  • stats Total Posts: 300145
  • stats Total Topics: 20632
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955