Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 58
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Yinepu/Wepwawet(?) Statue  (Read 8774 times)

Re: Yinepu/Wepwawet(?) Statue
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 08:14:14 am »
Yeah, knowing "general functions" of each can help to sort out the depictions. Although it's often quite hard to box the gods...

For instance, Wepwawet was carried on the standard preceeding an army, going before to open the way to victory, thus any kind of warrior depictions (as is the case with this awesomeness shown here) (to me) scream Wepwawet, whereas the funerary depictions say Yinepu more....I see Wpwt as more gray or brown, Yinepu as black. Yinepu is the "Master Embalmer" and I just don't see Wepwawet in the same function.

Wepwawet predates Yinepu as far as I can tell, but later on They tended to get mushed together, though personally I see Them as quite different, in personality, function and form. Personally I see Yinepu as more of a psychopomp and Wepwawet ad more of an "Opener".
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 08:27:21 am »
Funerary depictions are really tricky because as I said - on a lot of funerary stelae, the jackals in the lunettes are actually Wepwawet. He also shows up on sarcophagi.

As for age of jackals, I think they are about as old as each other, certainly reaching into the realms of predynastic. I'm not sure one is definitely older than the other?

With the whole psychopomp thing, at first there apparently wasn't much call for it, but Wepwawet was the original one when it did start to become clear that going to the afterlife involved a dangerous journey. It grew out of his functions of opening the way for the king in life, he started to do it in death too. (So yes, a general Opener!) It really wasn't until Osiris took over Anubis's Khentyamentiu mantle that Anubis then joined Wepwawet in being a psychopomp. Before that he had certainly always been the master embalmer as well as being the foremost of the westerners. He does tend to be more restricted to being a psychopomp and master of the gateway between this life and the afterlife, whereas Wepwawet can open all sorts of ways. That is my understanding of it anyways.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Nefersedt »
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 08:38:05 am »
Hmm, I'm not 100% sure where I read it, but I thought I read something about Wepwawet predating Yinepu. I'll have to go look for it and try to refind it. I would think in general that jackals would be associated with the West, because that's where they buried everyone, and I'm sure the jackals were a'roamin....

And I have come to the same conclusion as you that Yinepu is more of the psychopomp/gate guy and Wpwt more a general Opener...
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 09:01:08 am »
Well, it depends on how you want to view it I suppose. The standing 'Wepwawet' jackal and the recumbent 'Anubis' jackal are both protodynastic symbols. And the earliest appearances of the jackal-on-a-standard might actually represent nomes instead of deities, which is something to bear in mind. (And they might very well represent Asyut and Cynopolis at that!)

By Dynasty I, you certainly do get the jackals being depicted as deities and the reading of 'Wepwawet' is firm by the second dynasty, whereas 'Inpw' isn't firm until a few dynasties later. But they're both present as entities regardless. It is possible that before the firm reading of 'Inpw' scholars are considering the recumbant jackal to be Khentyamentiu, but he is surely the ur-form of Anubis. (Also, the imiut symbol is around from the first dynasty too.)

If there is an age gap, I think it is likely pretty negligible, especially as it is so very very long ago! :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Nefersedt »
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3007
  • stats Total Posts: 288214
  • stats Total Topics: 19543
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217