collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 68
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Where are the Temples to Sekhmet?  (Read 18714 times)

Where are the Temples to Sekhmet?
« on: August 25, 2010, 04:56:42 pm »
Where are the temples to Sekhmet? I know that she was the wife to Ptah but where is her temples? Where they destroyed by evil Christians or are they connected to her husband's temple? Let me know, please, as I'm having a hard time find any photo's of Sekhmet's temple.
I follow the rhythm of Egypt.

Offline Devo

• Remetj
Re: Where are the Temples to Sekhmet?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 05:02:07 pm »
Quote from: 3467
Where are the temples to Sekhmet? I know that she was the wife to Ptah but where is her temples? Where they destroyed by evil Christians or are they connected to her husband's temple? Let me know, please, as I'm having a hard time find any photo's of Sekhmet's temple.

While I don't have an answer for you question, I would caution you against calling Christians "evil" while on these boards. It's frowned upon to bash any religions on here.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 05:10:56 pm »
There is no temple still in existence that is dedicated to Sekhmet.  Just as it is not just as simple a proposition to assume that "evil Christians" did a wholesale destruction of them. Unfortunately, this is a prime example of a little bit of knowledge being worded in a specific way or manipulated, mostly by those within neo paganism who want to assert the idea of "the evils of patriarchal religions".  Let's just simply state that the history is almost always far more complex than that and the discussion could go on for many weeks if we allowed it to. :)

There is a shrine to Sekhmet inside Karnak or Ipet-sut as it was called in antiquity proper. Karnak itself is one of the largest temple complexes on the in existence and it is predominately Amun's Temple. This complex was added to almost continually throughout the history of pharaonic Egypt. Also associated to this particular temple grouping, are the Mut Precincts. Mut was the Wife of Amun and and Mut has a very close tie and synchretization with Sekhmet. All those uber huge black basalt statues you see in museums around the world mainly come from that Temple complex in Luxor / Thebes. The synchretized "Sekhmet-Mut" really is the idea of Sekhmet as Great Lady or as Queen as She is often seen wearing the Double Crown.

There is a Wikipedia article here with pictures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precinct_of_Mut

There are other links on the web that tie into that area.I am thinking egyptologist, Nigel Strudwick and his wife have worked extensively there and I do believe at one time they had several pictures on the web, but I am unable to find the link I once had.

I hope that helps.

Senebty!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 06:55:34 am »
Sorry about calling Christians that. Thanks for answering my question.

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 04:21:46 am »
There is so much missunderstanding about religion in general. I think we need to look deep into all aspects and history of Egypt.
You don't know what you can do until you try.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 08:47:07 am »
Oh I agree but I do love this religion a lot. Had a dream about Sekhmet and she wanted me to follow her path, which I will do gladly. Also I wish that people would just get along.

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 01:02:50 pm »
I totally agree, religion should'nt stop people getting along in any way, and used as an excuse not too. We are all from the same human family, after all. I love Kemet too, and the more I learn about it, I know i've made the right choice. :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:03:36 pm by Linda »

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 01:15:07 pm »
Wow, I'm noticing alot of people quick to judge and label lately. Whether it be "evil Xtians" or "evil neo-pagans". (Both seem to be getting bashed)

It seems that anything not KO is open to ready scorn these days on the HON forums.

I'm sad.  :  <
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline ubenetsenu

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 02:03:56 pm »
Quote from: Ta_Imu_Aset
Wow, I'm noticing alot of people quick to judge and label lately. Whether it be "evil Xtians" or "evil neo-pagans". (Both seem to be getting bashed)

It seems that anything not KO is open to ready scorn these days on the HON forums.

that is sad. it's hard sometimes to walk the line between "that's not my path" and "that isn't historically attested" - i have no problem with people practicing egypt-flavored wicca, for instance, but people telling me that Bast was traditionally worshipped in covens by having orgies and smoking large quantities of marijuana will get my hackles up.  

as far as religions go, i try to live by aunt eller's line in oklahoma!: "i don't say i'm better than anybody else, but i'll be danged if i ain't just as good!" ;)  i don't tell other people how to practice their religions, and i expect them to return the favor.
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset
𓁴𓁳
tarot and heka by request

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 02:46:01 pm »
Em-Hotep,

Very well spoken Ubenetsenu; I sometimes have to remind myself that while beliefs and ideals may very, we are all still the same people, and that our differences in religion should be no excuse to separate us or make us despise one another.  

Like Niankhsekhmet had mentioned, the temple complex of Mut in Karnak can be associated with the great Sekhmet.  Also, as it was mentioned, there does not exist to date a single temple dedicated solely to the Great Lioness.  Though, she can be found in many other temples throughout Kemet.  Sekhmet was known as the mighty protector of Upper Kemet (the southern region).  She is the daughter of Ra and is often depicted in his temples; as well many of her statues display her adorning the solar disk.  Also, with Sekhmet being one of the mighty feline Netjer, she is often embraced as being an essence of Hathor, Mut, Bast and Bastet (just to name a few).  With this being said, it could be accepted that the temple of Dendura is also a sacred temple linked to Sekhmet.

Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 04:32:06 pm »
Ubenetseu, I laughed at what you said about what you feel about what people would say about how Bast was worshiped. Imsetra, I just thought that there was a temple to her because she was, in my opinion, a very important Goddess. However I'm getting that some temples were dedicated to different gods due to maybe being married to another god or being part of a triad. I love the story about how she was finally brought back home and I'm going to admit that it's fascinating. What I would like to know is that during their festivals did the Egyptians drink beer that was tainted red or was it something that the Gods were only able to do?

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 09:10:31 pm »
Quote from: Devo
Quote from: 3467

While I don't have an answer for you question, I would caution you against calling Christians "evil" while on these boards. It's frowned upon to bash any religions on here.

-Devo

Indeed, there are some Christians actually present on the forums. Evil or otherwise.

~Isha

(As far as I know, they did dye beer red to celebrate Sekhmet's pacification at times. Ochre, I think people keep saying?)
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, her Hethert-Amenti
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓁥𓇼

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 06:29:22 am »
Quote from: Ta_Imu_Aset

No religion is evil, and, this is just my opinion  :) , there are valuable lessons to be learned from all of them, and I don't like labels either. They are unfair.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:31:22 am by Linda »

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 09:13:26 am »
Just like with Islam, the same religious group that protect Egypt's treasures, the religion isn't evil just a small population of Muslims.

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 11:49:37 am »
It is very easy to label another sect as being evil when you have little or no understanding what it is. Interfaith dialogue is very important in this Temple and you cannot have that if there is no willingness to listen to one another.

I think we can all agree that when authority figures within a particular sect make wholesale pronouncements of disrespecting those who are different or will try to define to those of their followers who do seek understanding and iuterfaith dialogue.

Such a thing could be for any number of reasons; it my simply  be ignorance on the part of the person themselves, or fear of apostasy by members of their own faith to something else.  Of course, we don't have such things here. We were all led here and should be here for whatever reason, all of which are individual.  Within the Faith, prostelitisation is frowned upon if not forbidden,  and if someone does decide to leave, there is always the hope that that person is going to where their ka is most called.  Name calling and ostracizing someone for being other or thinking in other ways is not necessary.  

Also, for clarification, to declare what one is not in defence of erroneous and widespread notions by those who seek to define who we are should not be confused with bashing the other belief system.  Certainly we all have friends who are Christian and/or Pagan / Neo-Pagan.  One of very good friends is a widely published and well known author of many books on Witches, Witchcraft and Paganism. I have business associates some of whom are devout Christians, Hindus, Muslims and avowed Atheists. Nothing stands in the way of mutual respect and humour.

While many of us can get really very irritated when others outside of our own Faith attempt to tell us who we are and what we believe, confronting the inaccuracies should not ever be construed as "bashing".  Everyone has the right to self-define. According others the same priviledge is simple common courtesy.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled topic which has to deal with Sekhmet and Her temples. ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:34:23 pm by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2932
  • stats Total Posts: 285882
  • stats Total Topics: 19379
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217