collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 51
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Where are the Temples to Sekhmet?  (Read 19077 times)

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Where are the Temples to Sekhmet?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 11:53:31 am »
Quote from: Taiawepwawet

(As far as I know, they did dye beer red to celebrate Sekhmet's pacification at times. Ochre, I think people keep saying?)

The stories vary. I have seen red ochre, I have also seen hematite because of the iron ore in it and the fact that when added to liquid, turns red...iron in the blood, etc.

I have also seen pomegranate described as having been added, as well.  I do know that Sekhmet rather likes that pomegranate liqueur that I offer to Her!
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 02:08:43 pm »
Oh sounds like something that I would want to buy, pomegranate liqueur. I know that Iron was really widespread in drinking vessel's as it wasn't known back then that Iron wasn't good for you in large qualities. They say that Nero might of gone insane due to drinking large qualities of wine that had iron in it or something like that. What I like about this religion is the fact that you can have a small shrine to Sekhmet and that there's even a temple to Sekhmet in Navada, I think, which is really cool and I would like to go and see it.

I printed a picture of Sekhmet and placed it on my door above the altar that I'm starting. I could only find orange candles, which I don't know if it's appropriate but Sekhmet hasn't given me the impression that she's against it. I've added a fountain to it and I have a lion that's coated in a substance that's suppose to make it look like it's gold but what's really cool is that there's a red ribbon tied around her neck and then I found a small lion that I put on-top of a oil burner that I'm not using anymore so that it doesn't fall off.

Tell me what you think of what I said.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:09:03 pm by 3467 »
I follow the rhythm of Egypt.

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 02:09:46 pm »
About the iron it might of also been in the wine too, don't know.

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 02:47:12 pm »
Perhaps you are thinking of lead poisoning as opposed to iron poisoning?
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 03:33:16 pm »
That's what I'm probably thinking about. Lead was very dangerous and that's why I think that it was added to wine. Though I'm not exactly sure if I'm right. I know that the Egyptians as well as other countries had no way of keeping the wine safe so they added things that I wouldn't drink. It's been a long time since I read or heard about it I'm thinking that's why I mixed them up. Oh and it was Caligula that drank a ton of wine, though I think Nero did the same thing. Of course everyone in the empire, including Egypt, suffered due to this.

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 06:43:32 pm »
In large quantities, iron can also kill you, and in a very, VERY unpleasant way. It is NOT a nice way to go.

However, we are talking massive overdose on iron pills type amounts. There'd have to be a lot of hematite in the beer for that kind of reaction I'd imagine.

I doubt it could make you go insane though. Not one of the listed symptoms, unless you count during massive organ failure.
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, her Hethert-Amenti
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice • Self-care Hethert-Amenti Advocate
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓁥𓇼

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 09:49:03 pm »
I saw it on that Behaving Badly program on the History Channel. That's how come I remember it.

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 08:23:17 am »
Egypt did not drink wine as much as elsewhere in the empire.

As for the lead poisoning, I think the lead came from the pipes the Romans used for water, but I found a website here at http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/wine/leadpoisoning.html that indicates that even more than the plumbing etc, foods had a substance in them that contributed even more to the trouble with lead.

How widespread this poisoning was, I think I might hesitate before saying it was throughout the entire empire. That empire spanned a great deal of Europe west and east, and the further away one got from the center, the different things were, including foods and beverages and building etc.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 10:39:22 am »
I'm glad that didn't happen in Egypt. I guess the Egyptians had a different way of making sure that the wine stayed fresh. Of course the wealthy drank a lot of wine while the common man drank a lot of beer. I think even the children drank beer but that might of been at a later time due to the water.

Offline Shefytbast

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 09:43:59 pm »

Leaving aside the poisoning discussion, I think your shrine sounds lovely. I haven't had much involvement with Sekhmet, but orange candles sound very appropriate for Her as a fiery, solar Goddess. (UPG: I know Bast likes them. ^_^ )

Shefyt

Shefytbast | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 02:48:25 am »
Thanks, I've just about got my shrine the way that I want. I'll be posting the shrine before I get my very special cloth and another one when I do. I also read that your suppose to cover the floor with white cloth, natural fiber product, which I've been looking for. I'm going to go to the fabric store if I come up empty handed. Thanks for all the help that you guys have given me even though I'm not a member.

Offline Baket

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 10:31:33 am »
I think natural linen or muslin would work?
Devotee of the Divine Felines and my darling Loki
http://www.zazzle.com/cattywompus

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 09:19:11 am »
I myself have never heard of covering the floor with white cloth. I've only heard of putting sand on the floor... I always assumed that the floor of temples was stone, and that the floor of houses varied house to house, along with what you could afford.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 09:46:56 am »
Where are you hearing to cover the floor with white cloth or sand? I am rather confused as to where that might have come from. In every text I have read it just has to be swept both literally and ritually.

My friend, I think you are reading a great many resources with divergent opinions on things and really causing a great deal more work and hassle for yourself than is necessary. ;)
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 10:01:23 am »
I've only read the sand thing for temple stuff. I saw a reference to it in Reidy's "Eternal Egypt" book, which he sources being to Rittner- in his Mech. of AE Magic book. I've also read it a few other places... but I really can't remember where it was I had read it outside of these two places. From what I understand, in temple practices, they'd place sand on the floor, along with sweeping it. Something to do with purifying the ground. I had also read (somewhere) that it was common to have sand out in front of sacred icons on holidays- to purify the ground before the deity. I have no idea how wide spread the practice was. Obviously, it's not a practice I use. I would hate to have to vacuum up sand everyday! XD

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

* Most Recent Topics

topic Hello
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Sehedjef
September 21, 2019, 05:56:30 pm
topic Reality Check?
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Tasedjebbast
September 20, 2019, 01:35:51 pm
topic Important Holidays