Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 43
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Where are the Temples to Sekhmet?  (Read 19078 times)

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Where are the Temples to Sekhmet?
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 03:53:27 pm »
I understand about an actual temple space as referred to in Ritner, however, home shrines are not state shrines and so the treatment would be different.  There are other sources elsewhere that are fairly clear in their admonishing against introducing dirt into the temple space. Are sand and "dirt" considered the same?  To most of our minds it is and in Egypt it is pretty hard to escape that very fine patina that seems to get on and in absolutely everything!

No, no sand in my shrine space. Maybe in a cake pan if it is absolutely necessary, but certainly not on my unfinished hardwood floors. It's hard enough to keep them clean as it is! ;)

Senebty!
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 03:58:59 pm »
I understand that in normal setting, sand would make no sense. I was just meaning that it's the only sort of "floor covering" I had ever heard mentioned in relation to temple/altar/shrine space. As opposed to some sort of fabric covering. That's all :)

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Sekhmetbitu

• Shemsu
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 06:51:17 pm »
I have a carpet remnant with a wadjet eye on it, I set it on the floor in front of my shrine before I do senut, and roll it up when I am done. In my mind it serves the same function as sand, and is much cleaner (it also keeps a clean spot for me to kneel each time)
Sekhmetbitu "Sekhmet's (Good) Charachter"

[color:#CC0000]Sat Sekhmet[/color]
[color:#990099]Meryt Mut & Khenty-Amentiu[/color]

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 08:48:44 am »
I can totally get having a piece of fabric to kneel upon. My carpets (actually my parents carpets) are nasty IMO, and with it being tick season, and a dog that feels the need to lay in my room... I find it hard to kneel very long on the ground most days. A mat would do me well lol.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 09:19:59 am »
I think the rule of thumb is one of practicality.  I personally believe in the concept of prayer mats or rugs. I have one I have had for the last ten years for my shrine that was hand woven my my Seneca friend, Fred, who put alot of prayer and energy into making it, for example.  There is another that a friend sent us from the Middle East. A rug for just that purpose alone, similar to what other cultures use is far more practical than potentially tripping over a flat sheet or thin piece of fabric, which can cause you to fall and /or send incense or candles etc. flying. Something like that could potentially be absolutely disasterous.

We may be worshiping, but basic home safety should be of a primary concern. I can't help but think that it factors into Purity and Zep Tepi as well.
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 06:23:49 am »
Sekhmet, though logical, was not too well-liked by The Powers That Be. She was an ancient goddess. Her opposite (anti-particle) was Shesmu, who was more famous but too demonic to have a temple. But at least Shesmu had a cult following. Anyway, about that, read here:
http://www.djedefsauron.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=210:egyptology-a-world-politics-101&catid=47:my-blog-posts&Itemid=125
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:52:36 am by Schezmuhotep »

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 10:47:27 am »
Quote from: Schezmuhotep
Sekhmet, though logical, was not too well-liked by The Powers That Be. She was an ancient goddess. Her opposite (anti-particle) was Shesmu, who was more famous but too demonic to have a temple. But at least Shesmu had a cult following. Anyway, about that, read here:
http://www.djedefsauron.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=210:egyptology-a-world-politics-101&catid=47:my-blog-posts&Itemid=125

Very interesting. I don't see too many sources being cited on that site that you mention.

As someone who has dedicated her life to Sekhmet, I kind of doubt much of what you have said...especially the part about Sekhmet being too "demonic". If anything, She commanded all of the demons and while She could bring them, She also had the power to send them away.

NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 02:12:37 am »
As the original topic of this thread was Temples to Sekhmet, I'd like to mention that there is one here near Las Vegas. It's a rather neopagan type of place, but it is lovely out there. I went once just to see the inside of the temple and soak up the atmosphere.

http://www.sekhmettemple.com/
Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 07:01:14 am »
Ah, you're lucky you're so close!  That's actually the place that finding out about earlier this year started me down the winding road to finally find a word for Kemeticism, even though it has no affiliation.  

That's probably my most burning pilgrimage desire at this point; I'm sure as I get more involved in K.O. that will change to the base temple, but I have to get this place out of my system first.  The last time I visited the Southwest I was 14--my mother, grandmother, and I were on the only trip together with just us ladies that we'd ever take at a very transitional time in all our lives.  I was on my way to high school, my mother was newly divorced, and my grandmother newly retired, and the desert was just beautiful and went and lodged right there in my psyche.  It pretty much kept me going through high school reflecting on that trip.

Then back in February I found out about the place you linked to.  I'm beginning to embark on middle age, my mother's a widow now, and my grandmother passed away 5 years ago.  I have a bottle of perfume she gave me even farther before that that's long since gone bad and turned to alcohol, I don't want to throw it out.  I can think of nothing more fitting than to bring it to Sekhmet and myself to the desert again more than half my life later and honor those relationships.  And I have absolute faith in Sekhmet that properly Kemetic worship or not Her strength and heat is capable of accessing and cauterizing any honest soul presented to her.

Can't wait, ONE DAY.

Offline terrapin46

• Remetj
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2014, 07:18:54 am »
Quote from: Senushemi
As the original topic of this thread was Temples to Sekhmet, I'd like to mention that there is one here near Las Vegas. It's a rather neopagan type of place, but it is lovely out there. I went once just to see the inside of the temple and soak up the atmosphere.

http://www.sekhmettemple.com/

Hi guys, bumping this up to say that sadly just this past weekend, the Sekhmet statue that served as the focal point of the Temple of Goddess Spirituality Dedicated to Sekhmet was stolen after 21 years in the open-air temple.

While I know it isn't a Kemetic establishment, a lot of people have invested in the Temple's statue and the douchery of some people is appalling.  If you can, say a quick thing/send some heka for it's safe return.  I personally leave any additional wishes for effective justice up to Sekhmet, but that's up to the individual.

* Most Recent Topics

topic Hello
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Sehedjef
September 21, 2019, 05:56:30 pm
topic Reality Check?
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Tasedjebbast
September 20, 2019, 01:35:51 pm
topic Important Holidays
[[PUBLIC] Kemetic Orthodox Q&A]
Storm