Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 56
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Hymn Songs to Ra  (Read 3334 times)

Offline M'aqanitui

• Shemsu
Hymn Songs to Ra
« on: June 29, 2015, 12:09:36 pm »
I wasn't sure which category this belonged in, but I hope this one is close enough.

I find one of the best ways for me to express my emotions is through song, especially since I've done a lot of singing since I was very young. However, I can't find any hymns (and I mean song hymns, not poems) about Ra through which I can express my devotion to Him.
Does anyone know any good Kemetic hymns about Ra? Thanks in advance!
Sat Ra her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Bast her Djehuty

Never stop smiling, and you will always stay firmly on your feet. :)

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
Re: Hymn Songs to Ra
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 03:18:21 am »
em hotep,

Wow, I'd love to be able to sing properly! (My singing is ...enthusiastic. that's about the nicest thing one can say about it...)  Singing is a great way to express your emotions and for praying, and music was a very important part of ancient Egyptian religious practice.

If you have any ancient "poems" about Ra - well, just assume that they were sung, too! I don't quite see where you'd be able to make a difference between an poem and a song if you only have the hieroglyphic text as a source.

what about this one:

"Homage to thee, O thou glorious Being, thou who art dowered [with all sovereignty]. O Tem-Heru-Khuti (Tem-Harmakhis), when thou risest in the horizon of heaven a cry of joy goeth forth to thee from all people. O thou beautiful Being, thou dost renew thyself in thy season in the form of the Disk, within thy mother Hathor. Therefore in every place every heart swelleth with joy at thy rising for ever. The regions of the South and the North come to thee with homage, and send forth acclamations at thy rising on the horizon of heaven, and thou illuminest the Two Lands with rays of turquoise-[coloured] light. O Ra, who art Heru-Khuti, the divine man-child, the heir of eternity, self-begotten and self-born, king of the earth, prince of the Tuat (the Other World), governor of Aukert, thou didst come from the Water-god, thou didst spring from the Sky-god Nu, who doth cherish thee and order thy members. O thou god of life, thou lord of love, all men live when thou shinest; thou art crowned king of the gods. The goddess Nut embraceth thee, and the goddess Mut enfoldeth thee at all seasons. Those who are in thy following sing unto thee with joy, and they bow down their foreheads to the earth when they meet thee, the lord of heaven, the lord of the earth, the King of Truth, the lord of eternity, the prince of everlastingness, thou sovereign of all the gods, thou god of life, thou creator of eternity, thou maker of heaven wherin thou art firmly stablished.

The Company of the Gods rejoice at thy rising, the earth is glad when it beholdeth thy rays; the people who have been long dead come forth with cries of joy to behold thy beauties every day. Thou goest forth each day over heaven and earth, and thou art made strong each day be thy mother Nut. Thou passest over the heights of heaven, thy heart swelleth with joy; and the Lake of Testes (the Great Oasis) is content thereat. The Serpent-fiend hath fallen, his arms are hewn off, the Knife hath severed his joints. Ra liveth by Maat (Law), the beautiful! The Sektet Boat advanceth and cometh into port. The South and the North, and the West and East, turn to praise thee. O thou First, Great God (PAUTA), who didst come into being of thine own accord, Isis and Nephthys salute thee, they sing unto thee songs of joy at thy rising in the boat, they stretch out their hands unto thee. The Souls of the East follow thee, and the Souls of the West praise thee. Thou art the Ruler of all the gods. Thou in thy shrine hast joy, for the Serpent-fiend Nak hath been judged by the fire, and thy heart shall rejoice for ever. Thy mother Nut is esteemed by thy father Nu."

source: http://legacy.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/ra-ani.asp

I'm not sure about some of the renderings used... with "Nu" they mean "Nun" I believe. But the style and motives in this hymn are pretty typical. I'd suggest that you just pick out those parts and phrases that you like best and fashion your own personal hymn. I'll see if I can dig up some more examples...

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 05:43:42 am »
Ok, this one is not Ancient, but it can be sung to the melody of "Morning has Broken" and follows the motives of the anicent texts:

Turn to the East, child
Watch the horizon
Red light shines forth, the
Fiend has been slain
This is Zep Tepi
Sing Jubilation
As Ra is reborn
Another day

Praise sing the wild birds
All creatures rejoice
Raising their hands, thus
Pray the baboons
Join in their singing
Ra's adoration
Ma'at has triumphed
Khepri returns

See, there is Matet
Ra's golden day-barque
In all his glory
Our King appears
His bright rays nourish
All that is living
They make the hearts wide,
Vanquish all fears

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

Offline Sema'a

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
Hymn Songs to Ra
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 07:07:40 am »
There is a Kemetic Orthodox hymn to Ra that is really beautiful. It was used in our short-lived podcast, but I'm not sure if it is available anywhere publicly right now. If it is I hope someone can come by and share a link for you! :)

Edit: and I know it's not Kemetic, but I find most solar deities enjoy hearing Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles. ^_^
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:09:12 am by Sobeqsenu »
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 07:47:33 am »
"O thou beautiful Being, thou dost renew thyself in thy season in the form of the Disk, within thy mother Hathor." (Nakht's Hymn to Ra)

:D  8)  Dua Hethert!

Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline M'aqanitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:59:30 am »
Thank you for all your help so far :D I deeply appreciate every scrap of information you can offer.
Please let me know if you find out anything else. :)
Sat Ra her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Bast her Djehuty

Never stop smiling, and you will always stay firmly on your feet. :)

Offline Wasiaset

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 01:10:55 pm »
Before I joined the House of Netjer, I heard a song in the pagan community called Come Forth. I sometimes use it in the morning and it is by Christopher Hatton (I think).

I come forth by day
into the (dawning/beauty/glory) of the morning
I come forth by day
into the world
which You have made new
Oh Ra

Sat Aset-Serqet
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Sokar-Wesir
Fedw Diviner

-Valar Dohaeris

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats