collapse collapse

* Donation Status

37%   Current donation status as of January 22, 2021 = $932 of $2,500 (37%)   Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Set  (Read 12911 times)

Set
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:15:43 pm »
I feel a growing fascination for Set and feel like it's no coincidence that he's approached me at this time in my life.  I feel like I'm on the verge of some sort of transformation and he is here to help me with it.  

My problem is Aset. Given her history with her older brother, how will she feel if I develop a relationship with Set?  Is she going to be angry with me?  I'm afraid she'll turn her back on me and I don't want that!  
Deep into the darkness, peering
     long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal
     ever dared to dream before.

- Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven"

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
Re: Set
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:22:11 pm »
She won't. :)

Though I can't promise that, I do not and would not believe She would do such a thing.  I had (and will have again, once I am finished unpacking) a shrine to Aset, and would turn to Her at times for advice and to talk.  Although I did have to keep Her separate from my main shrine with Father, the Two had no issues with sharing me.

In fact, on more than one occassion, she pleasantly and lovingly reminded me that I am my Father's daughter.  It was almost with pride. She and He may have Their differences, but neither of Them take that out on us.

So I say go for it :) develop that relationship. You never know where it may lead.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 08:49:27 pm »
I will agree with Taqai here, though I must admit I have virtually zero contact with goddesses. My lineup is all boys, and they tend to dominate my attention.

As for your feeling that you are on the verge of a transformation, that can definitely be Set's domain.

Bear the following in mind as you proceed on your journey of Becoming, though (and please do not take this as a threat or a negative statement -- just truth):

Transformations are rarely pleasant. As a child of our resident Chaos Lord, I often characterize those abrupt, jarring changes in our lives as a bitter medicine that expels the poison of our current situation. We need it, but that doesn't mean we like it.

Thus, if you encounter difficulties that ultimately heal, be strong and bear through them. Father seems to deplore whining and self pity, but he will bolster the strong who muster up the will to keep moving.

As I said, please don't take my comments as a pronouncement of doom. They just feel as though they could bear saying, and they are extended with all possible friendship.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 09:39:52 pm »
I am a son of Set and a beloved of Aset... I haven't had any problems and, I mean, they were both integral to making me "me" so yeah :P  My only problem is trying to form a deeper relationship with Aset, Who I'd been intensely intimidated by prior to RPD.

I would say, just pay attention to both.  They may ask to be talked to in entirely separate contexts, but it should be okay.
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 10:17:33 pm »
Quote from: Setkheni_itw
I am a son of Set and a beloved of Aset... I haven't had any problems and, I mean, they were both integral to making me "me" so yeah :P  My only problem is trying to form a deeper relationship with Aset, Who I'd been intensely intimidated by prior to RPD.

I would say, just pay attention to both.  They may ask to be talked to in entirely separate contexts, but it should be okay.

This is a lot of comfort to me, thanks so much.  Right now, they both have separate shrines, although I think their locations need to switch.  It seems like Set should be moved to the bigger, primary altar, especially since it seems like I'll be spending more time with him than Aset for now.  This was a big help to me.  Thank you.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 10:29:30 pm »
Quote from: Khesretitui
I will agree with Taqai here, though I must admit I have virtually zero contact with goddesses. My lineup is all boys, and they tend to dominate my attention.

As for your feeling that you are on the verge of a transformation, that can definitely be Set's domain.

Bear the following in mind as you proceed on your journey of Becoming, though (and please do not take this as a threat or a negative statement -- just truth):

Transformations are rarely pleasant. As a child of our resident Chaos Lord, I often characterize those abrupt, jarring changes in our lives as a bitter medicine that expels the poison of our current situation. We need it, but that doesn't mean we like it.

Thus, if you encounter difficulties that ultimately heal, be strong and bear through them. Father seems to deplore whining and self pity, but he will bolster the strong who muster up the will to keep moving.

As I said, please don't take my comments as a pronouncement of doom. They just feel as though they could bear saying, and they are extended with all possible friendship.

I actually found this rather beautiful and please don't think me stupid, but I want to print it out and keep it with me as I develop things with Set.  Your words are comforting to me and made me remember the strength I know I possess. I don't like change, however, and have grown complacent in many areas of my life. I need a shake-up and it seems Set is happy to deliver that. I know he'll be making the journey with me, which makes me less afraid.  I think this did bear saying, as it was a message I definitely needed to hear.  Thanks.

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 10:45:22 pm »
I don't think you're stupid at all. As for printing it out, go for it if you feel it'll help. :)
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 02:41:51 am »
Set has told me that I'm an Aset kid before.  

She won't leave or turn Her back on you for developing a relationship with Him.  

I don't think they're enemies.  I think they're both possessive of what's theirs be that space or people.    

:-)  

TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut her Bast-Mut

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 02:32:52 pm »
Since I've been reading what you guys have been posting I feel the need to have a Set shrine. I'm going through changes right now with my other grandmother dying and stuff like that. I don't believe that Aset and Set are enemies, their family and I'm sure that they love each other. Their war is over and they've moved on. What I would like to know is what candles to do burn for Set and what offerings do you give. I thought I saw about offerings somewhere but I can't remember.
I follow the rhythm of Egypt.

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 04:03:40 pm »
The offering thread was here: http://www.netjer.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=171168#Post171168

I usually burn plain white candles for him. Nothing with any cheap scents. Many of those cheap perfumes in the smelly candles contain our good friend uric acid, and I have been told to keep such "pee candles" out of his space before. ;)

Honestly, the plain novena candles that many stores sell are good inexpensive choices if you're on a budget. Stores in places with a substantial Catholic and/or Hispanic population tend to carry them.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 04:39:01 pm »
Khesretitui, why do they use uric acid in their candles and does it state this? I think its disgusting personally. Do soy candles have this?

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 06:09:35 pm »
I'm not sure on the particulars, but I think uric acid is a cheap way to make smells more intense. I'm no chemist, though, so I don't know for certain. You would have to check the ingredients list on any candle to know, but my personal view is that unless I know for absolute certain, I assume it's a pee candle and buy unscented candles instead.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 06:36:07 pm »
I'll start checking out the ingredients before buying.

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 07:45:47 pm »
The annoying thing is that a lot of shampoos, bath washes, etc. include on their list of ingredients "fragrance." Well, yeah, but what's in your fragrance? Further clouding the issue, even if the ingredient list does include "urea," there's also synthetic urea, which technically isn't pee, but of course the labels don't specify which is being used. I try to find products that really do list *all* of their ingredients; failing that, I assume that "no animal products" means no urine.

(According to Wikipedia, urea is also used as a flavor-enhancing additive in cigarettes. :P )

Shefyt

Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 09:26:01 am »
Although it's already been stated, I'll just chime in to say that Aset and Setekh can go along fine. I've been working with both rather indepth for a while now, and they seem to be fine with me jumping back and forth btwn the two. While they may rib eachother (or myself) about things, in the end, I think it's all in good fun.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

* Most Recent Topics

topic RPD Scheduled!
[[PUBLIC] FAQ: RPD (Rite of Parent Divination)]
Nesiwepwawet
Today at 10:28:28 am
topic Hi everyone!!!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Rev. Raheri
January 19, 2021, 02:23:16 pm
topic WANT TO SEE YOUR SHRINE PICTURES
[[PUBLIC] Kemetic Orthodox Q&A]
Nesertem
January 18, 2021, 12:28:17 am
topic What is your favorite story?
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
Asethepetwi
January 17, 2021, 11:39:43 pm
topic Is Horus Greco Roman?
Taji
January 17, 2021, 07:37:34 am
topic Status Report-Half Year-Special Fundraising Campaigns
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 17, 2021, 01:28:52 am
topic Current Fundraising/Donations status, January 16, 2021
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 16, 2021, 01:55:14 am
topic Affection for a deity that you do not know
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Sobekemiti
January 15, 2021, 06:28:59 am
topic Ra UPG
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Tahai
January 13, 2021, 09:07:31 pm
topic Em hotep!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
mercymagpie
January 13, 2021, 05:03:13 pm
topic The 42 Purifications
[[PUBLIC] Kemet Today - Rev. Tamara's Blog & Podcast]
Yinepuemsaes
January 13, 2021, 11:44:07 am
topic Em Hotep, everyone!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Nesertem
January 12, 2021, 07:22:57 pm
topic Upcoming virtual lectures in Egyptology!
Rev. Shezatwepwawet
January 09, 2021, 01:38:54 pm
topic Hello Everyone!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Senuwierneheh
January 07, 2021, 09:49:17 am

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3335
  • stats Total Posts: 300141
  • stats Total Topics: 20632
  • stats Total Categories: 8