collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Set  (Read 10779 times)

Re: Set
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 07:39:45 pm »
Quote from: Devo
Although it's already been stated, I'll just chime in to say that Aset and Setekh can go along fine. I've been working with both rather indepth for a while now, and they seem to be fine with me jumping back and forth btwn the two. While they may rib eachother (or myself) about things, in the end, I think it's all in good fun.

-Devo

I appreciate your imput here, Devo.  I think what I tend to do is read way too much into the myths surrounding Set.  Like maybe I'm taking things too literally.  
Deep into the darkness, peering
     long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal
     ever dared to dream before.

- Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven"

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 09:07:35 am »
I really think we do take the myths too seriously/literally. No one ever said that those stories were OMG teh realz! As in 100% true. I believe that there are nuggets of truth in them, but as a whole, there is some lee-way as to what really goes on/happened. Because of this, I try to keep an open mind.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 09:05:52 pm »
Quote from: Khesretitui
I'm not sure on the particulars, but I think uric acid is a cheap way to make smells more intense. I'm no chemist, though, so I don't know for certain. You would have to check the ingredients list on any candle to know, but my personal view is that unless I know for absolute certain, I assume it's a pee candle and buy unscented candles instead.

Khesretitui, I've another question for you.  Have you grown weary of them yet?  Also, I wasn't sure where to ask this and hope that it's okay for me to do it here.  I was reading some of the older posts on the offering thread and you were saying how Set likes sand.  I was wondering if it's okay to leave a bowl of it on the shrine.  I did ask him and received no answer.  I took that to mean he didn't care if I left it on the shrine, but it's also possible that he is annoyed by my lack of knowledge.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:06:31 pm by Denderah »

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 09:07:27 pm »
Weary of what? The candles or the gods?
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

I provide writing, editing, and tutoring services in exchange for donations to the House. PM me for details.

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 09:09:07 pm »
Quote from: Shefytbast
The annoying thing is that a lot of shampoos, bath washes, etc. include on their list of ingredients "fragrance." Well, yeah, but what's in your fragrance? Further clouding the issue, even if the ingredient list does include "urea," there's also synthetic urea, which technically isn't pee, but of course the labels don't specify which is being used. I try to find products that really do list *all* of their ingredients; failing that, I assume that "no animal products" means no urine.

(According to Wikipedia, urea is also used as a flavor-enhancing additive in cigarettes. :P )

Shefyt

I think your post will be what gets me to finally quit smoking.  Smoking pee?  Disgusting.

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 09:32:19 pm »
Quote from: Khesretitui
Weary of what? The candles or the gods?

My questions.  But I was just kidding.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:41:45 pm by Denderah »

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 09:01:55 am »
Denderah-

I've offered sand to Setekh with no major repercussions. I placed aquarium sand (it was clean, and bright white) in a pot that is shaped similar to an ib (heart). I felt it was a way of saying that it purified my heart (through him). He seems to like it- I place my incense in there, and when I get too much ash, I dump it, and place new sand in there. In all, I've found sand to be an okay thing to offer most all the gods- since sand in a purifying substance. YMMV.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 11:24:43 am »
My understanding is that reddish sand is a decent offering for him, as he is a desert god. Black earth, however, being Wesir's thing, would not be appropriate, AFAIK.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

I provide writing, editing, and tutoring services in exchange for donations to the House. PM me for details.

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 11:33:42 am »
I guess it really depends on your impressions and experiences with him. I find that red earth (in general- rocks, sand, dirt) goes over better, but that any sort of dry earth is good by him. For me, he can be helpful with grow- just as Asar (just in a different form) so black earth can have it's place with him. In the end, I think it's more our preconceptions than those of the gods.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 02:07:16 pm »
Quote from: Devo
Denderah-

I've offered sand to Setekh with no major repercussions. I placed aquarium sand (it was clean, and bright white) in a pot that is shaped similar to an ib (heart). I felt it was a way of saying that it purified my heart (through him). He seems to like it- I place my incense in there, and when I get too much ash, I dump it, and place new sand in there. In all, I've found sand to be an okay thing to offer most all the gods- since sand in a purifying substance. YMMV.

-Devo

oh this is interesting. I might have to give it a try. Do you ever burn resins (with or without charcoal) in the sand?
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 09:41:15 am »
I haven't burned resins in a long long time. I used to burn them on charcoal in a soapstone holder. However, due to the small confines of my room, the smell and smoke overpower, so I haven't done so in ages. I would be interesting to see at some point, though :)

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2919
  • stats Total Posts: 285128
  • stats Total Topics: 19313
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217