collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 41
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Setting up a temple  (Read 8274 times)

Setting up a temple
« on: September 05, 2010, 09:32:02 am »
I'm curious, does anyone know anything about the method by which the ancient priesthood set up temples? I.E. the purifications, the blessings, the spells- etc.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Tanebet

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Sebau (Education Director), Semer-Wati
  • Administrator
Re: Setting up a temple
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 09:43:59 am »
Em Hotep *henu*,

there was actually a "book of the temple" which describes in detail how the ideal temple should be built and operated.
As far as I know they are still reconstructing the texts and so far the complete version hasn't been published yet. It is certainly a book I want to read.
You find a bit about the book here: http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/press/news/532e.html

Senebty
Tanebet
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:00:34 am »
Sweet thanks. Wonder when it will be published....and if it will be published in English....

: o
Timu

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 02:24:25 pm »
Em-Hotep,

I am not an expert in this by any means (and I too can't wait for this book), though I do know a few things about temple rites. I know that priest would sweep out the temple as they entered it every morning, and then would sweep the ground behind themselves as they walked out of the inner shrine (naos) backwards as to not turn their backs to the housed Netjer. I am aware that they would burn incense inside the naos, different sense for different Netjer; though frankincense and myrrh were always safe bets.  Depending on whether or not it was an important holiday, the shem priest would wash the statue of the Netjer in natron-saluted water then with fragrant oils. Afterward, the statue would have been 'dressed' with colored ribs of fine fabric (back then it would have dyed cotton; or fine silk during the New Kingdom). After this, priest would involk the statue to 'wake-up' with wafting incense before the statue and preforming the Opening of the Mouth ceremony.  After all this, then the priest would present offerings to the Netjer upon a tone alter which stood before the Naos where the Netjer's statue stood. (All the while they would be chanting spells and hyms in praise of said Netjer.)

Hope this information helps... :)    
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 03:59:42 pm »
Very cool, thanks Imsety! It's funny how some things are done by instinct (I sweep my temple every day before commencing with my stuff, as well as the incense, the chanting etc etc). I have yet to make ANY attempts at opening Her statue though...not ready for that.

That is neat info, I'm also curious as to the dedication aspect as well. Like, the initial rites.
Timu

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 07:38:58 am »
Nobody, anybody...?
Timu

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:03:47 am »
I really don't know. It's my understanding that they cleared out the area for the temple. They'd use sand and water to purify and settle the foundation. Beyond that, I couldn't tell you. Potentially looking into a book that is about temples (Byron Schafer (I think that's the name) has one, I believe) would be a good idea. But I'm not sure if you're looking for that type of information, or things that were done after the structure was built (if it was ever finished- such as the temple of Amun).

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 10:59:18 am »
Hotep!

Building a temple and setting up a shrine might be too different things. If you are talking about a temple say the size of Philae or Karnak--that involves foundation, construction, etc. Wilkinson's _Complete Temples of Ancient Egypt_ describes in part how a site might have been selected, how the Foundation ceremony was conducted (the Narmer Palette for example was found in what was called a "foundation deposit".) Wilkinson cites texts from Medinet Habu as one reference. I don't know what those texts are or how detailed they might be, however. I don't know if there are any specific prayers of any kind ever found or published for any of the temples having specifically to do with the establishment of that temple.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 05:21:33 pm »
I was reading "Handbook to Life in AE" by Rosalie David today, and she sorta goes into the process of building a temple, or at least laying the foundations. However, she doesn't go into the actual spells or words used. Google Books has some of it on it's website:
http://books.google.com/books?id=RulD63Y3BlAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=handbook+to+life+in+ancient+egypt+rosalie+david&hl=en&ei=fBHjTMryLcPCnAf0maG_Dg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
Page 178 is the only page that's in the preview that is relevant, as the actual information starts on page 176. Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Qefathethert

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 03:41:28 pm »
If I'm about to derail the thread, tell me so, but I am wondering about the set-up of a proper KO shrine. I thought this thread would be about that, and if the reading material is relevant to that, cool.
I already have shrines set up all over the house (sometimes I think my bf is confused by my need to have FOUR about the house), but I would like outside ideas on how to contact Netjer in, well, "your" ways. Am I over-thinking the whole venture? After all, Hethert popped up to me in a Vodou ceremony.
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Bast-Mut her Set.
Devoted to Khonsu

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 03:49:07 pm »
Yeah, the heka-the actions of making an area a "temple". I'm not building anything....more....right now....

: o
Timu

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 03:58:52 pm »
lol right now XD

Yeah, no actual Heka. Her book states that we don't have any actual written records of what was said, though I wouldn't hold this book to be the gospel.

Perhaps you should email Reidy. He is apparently open to conversation, and might be able to direct you in the right direction.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Senneferet

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 04:07:11 pm »
What a coincidence! I was just reading something about Seshat that stated She was involved in the rituals when building temples. I was only browsing so I can't find the site where I read this.

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 04:09:58 pm »
Yes, David states that in her book as well- that Seshat was involved. "The ritual was to be performed by the king who was accompanied by Seshat. Seshat, the "Lady of Builders," was a very ancient goddess whose duty was to help the kind measure out the ground plan of the temple and reckon the measurement of the building"

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 04:16:53 pm »
Hotep

A Kemetic Orthodox shrine can be as simple, or not, as one's space, need for privacy and interest allows. A shelf or table, for example, would work, as would a cabinet.

A white cloth to cover, an image or statue (or ankh or obelisk for example) to serve for Netjer, a cup and/or bowl for libation and food and liquid offerings as desired, a tealight for candle, some incense (or fresh flowers or diffuser). And that's pretty much the basics for a shrine.

As for contacting Netjer--just talk :) Say hello, say thank you for blessings if that feels appropriate, ask to get to know a particular deity better, ask for help in something if that feels appropriate.

Hope this helps!
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955