collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 23
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: What is Kemetic Orthodox View of Wicca?  (Read 24614 times)

What is Kemetic Orthodox View of Wicca?
« on: September 05, 2010, 09:57:51 pm »
I really hate posting a new question but there's so many pages of questions that I don't know if this has already been posted. What is the Kemetic Orthodox view of Wicca, aka witchcraft? Let me know, as I use to be a Wiccan but now serve the Gods.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:58:14 pm by 3467 »
I follow the rhythm of Egypt.

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: What is Kemetic Orthodox View of Wicca?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 10:18:38 pm »
Hotep

Kemetic Orthodoxy has no opinion about Wicca or any other spiritual or magical path people choose to take, be that an organized religion such as Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism, Asatru, Hellenism, etc.

What an individual chooses to follow, what resonates for that person's self, is between that person and his/her heart and mind.

We deal with Whom we serve and how we believe we should live based on our beliefs and our woship of our gods.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 12:31:41 am »
Hotep

I use to practice Wicca, as I've said in my question, and I'm always interested in what people think about Wicca. I personally don't care if they walk around in black robes and such but, like with the Satanist taking Set, I take personal offense with them using the Egyptian Gods.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:32:23 am by 3467 »

Offline HedebBast

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 12:53:04 am »
I agree with what you said about Satanists taking Set because, well, Satan isn't Set and visa-versa.
As for Wicca...well I just think it's great the Old Gods are getting worshipped and I don't think they mind too much about how :).  
Personally I love Wicca, and I was Wiccan for ages... but it didn't work for me in terms of feeling connected to my Gods as I do now.  It was a great jumping off point though, I just realize now it wasn't for me.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by HedebBast »
-HedebBast-
Sat Bast
Meryt Sekhmet-Mut
Thankful to Set and my Akhu
Facebook|Blog

Offline Sekhmetnenek

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 01:15:27 am »
I have to echo what Hedeb said actually. I practiced Wicca for an long time, and it was a great place to start. Wicca created for me the basis of how I see the world- some of which I still hold onto today. Wicca also gave me the first thrills of connecting with Gods- Catholicism certainly hadn't. But I, like many others, left because we got called away to other things.

I don't find it disrespectful that they "use" the Egyptian Gods. Most people want to paint Wiccans with a really negative brush, but the truth of the matter is there are Wiccans who really know their stuff and aren't all fluff and light.

Just my two cents- YMMV
Sekhmetnenek|Sekhmet Belongs to Me|
Sa Sekhmet-Hethert,
Mery Nebthet-Nit-Seshat

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 02:22:22 am »
For your answer you get a chocolate chip cyber cookie, Nenek. Wicca was a great point for me but as I grew I realized that it wasn't for me. I have some good and not good memories of Wicca. Now I'm happy with where I am and pleased to be able to serve Sekhmet and all the gods of Kemet.

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 08:40:54 am »
Quote from: Nenek

I don't find it disrespectful that they "use" the Egyptian Gods. Most people want to paint Wiccans with a really negative brush, but the truth of the matter is there are Wiccans who really know their stuff and aren't all fluff and light.

Just my two cents- YMMV

Hotep all!  *henu*

I don't think it's that people have a problem with Wicca/Wiccans in and of themselves, it's that Gods and rituals are taken out of context, with little to no research done about the purpose of the ritual or what said God/Goddess meant to the culture it is being taken from.  There's nothing quite like someone coming up to you and arguing about how Bast and Sekhmet are 2 sides of the same Goddess, that Sekhmet is a crone, or that Bast is the moon Goddess or orgies where you smoke pot. Said individuals tend to be adamant that they're right.  ^_^  

Also gotta love the ones that haven't done any research who want to argue about what God/Goddess "X" is REALLY like cause they've done a ritual to them and they KNOW and you're just got it all wrong!  ^_^

You are correct however that there are those that know their stuff, whether or not they pray to Egyptian Gods, and are accepted by the recon/indigenous religion groups out there.  They just don't get much attention (they also tend to frown on the fluff bunny element and are concerned about the lack of research/Llewellynization going on in the Wiccan faith).

Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Priest of Nebt-het and Serqet
Beloved of Ptah and Tasenetnofret
revdwinterfeldt@kemet.org

Offline The Tai'awepwawet System

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 09:11:35 am »
My only niggling beef with Wicca-like stuff (aside from the thing Imti mentioned, OH MAN THAT GETS TO ME SO BADLY) is when there are old-school Wiccans who believe in the God and Goddess literally getting it on. Not just figuratively representing the fertility of the land, but that the God really does get the Goddess with child.

And then they use Yinepu and Bast. NO. ARGH. MY BRAIN. MELTING. HALP.

If you're going to go all Great Rite on me at least use deities who HAVE sexuality D: Or better yet, who really do like to sleep together! I'll let you get away with Aset and Wesir! Just, oh man, poor Yinepu.

Ahem. Other than that, I don't have much of a problem with Wicca. I don't much like modern book-Wicca. I went through that phase like many pagan people have, and I don't have a huge amount of respect for it. Even people who go to covens to learn are often learning from book-Wiccans, or from someone who was taught by a book-Wiccan. It's not a way I think anyone should learn. I think people should learn from themselves, or from people. Books are for research, not copy pasta rituals.

Oddly, while I completely understand the experiences of most other religions, I can't grasp how neo-Wicca experiences the divine. But that's my limitation, not theirs.

I do have a lot of respect for BTW.  I think what they do is amazing, and them I *do* understand.
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
Meset Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhety, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, her Sekhmet-Hethert
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴
Our Blog + Links to Carrd and Incense Spreadsheet

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 10:12:43 am »
Quote from: Taiawepwawet
My only niggling beef with Wicca-like stuff (aside from the thing Imti mentioned, OH MAN THAT GETS TO ME SO BADLY) is when there are old-school Wiccans who believe in the God and Goddess literally getting it on. Not just figuratively representing the fertility of the land, but that the God really does get the Goddess with child.

And then they use Yinepu and Bast. NO. ARGH. MY BRAIN. MELTING. HALP.

Pffffwahahaha! *dies*

Um, yeah. No. (Divine child = kittypup?)

Anyway, moving right along...like many, I did the book-Wiccan thing for a while. I also took an online course in eclectic neo-Wicca--one of the better groups, actually, although the course still ran into some problems. The odd thing for me was how non-theistic some of the other people in my study circle were. For them, everything was all about archetypes. I first began interacting with Bast while I was doing the course, and they seemed to find my interest in traditional practices and personal devotion and my relating to Her as an actual entity very strange. But of course, this doesn't reflect the beliefs and practices of all Wiccanesque paths, and particularly not the BTW groups.

I think people should learn from themselves, or from people.

Or if one's lucky, from the Gods and spirits directly. ^_^

Senebty,

Shefyt

Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 10:18:17 am »
As a practicing Wiccan priestess, and Kemetic Orthodox Shemset, I think I have something to add to this conversation.

Firstly, as has been stated before, (and I will strongly second what Nenek has said here about Wicca opening you up to up close and personal diety experience, and with he and others that mention that it really depends on the person is question) Wicca is a different religion than KO, and it really matters not at all what one's opinion of the other is. At all.

As far as your statement below:

Quote from: 3467
I use to be a Wiccan but now serve the Gods.

Um, beg pardon, but...huh? Not sure what this is supposed to mean, but I will assume you mean here that you now serve the *Kemetic* gods. To which all I have to say is, well, me too. I am Wiccan, and I am Kemetic-and I serve my Mother, and my Beloveds- first. I have found absolutely no conflict between the two religions. Quite honestly, I find (and this is just MY personal experience) that Aset deeply approves of most of my Wiccan activities, and that the 2 compliment each other very nicely. There is much to learn about magic, and life and honor and yourself, within Wicca. That is of course, if what you are getting is actually Wicca. Anyone can read a couple books and declare themselves Wiccan (or anything else really). The reality of Wicca is something else entirely. Anyone can twist ANYTHING and call it what they want, that doesn't make it real. Aset simply requires me to always have my eyes open to what I'm doing, in everything-Wicca included. This means laziness is not an option, the so called fluffy-bunny, copy-cut-and-paste outlook is not an option, and intense personal relfection is always required. For instance, I need to look at my own motivations with this posting. Sure, I could get offended that you or others might be offended. But will I? I'll sure try not to, it's a waste of time, and I have to honestly ask myself if it matters to me even slightly what you're (or others) opinion of me is. Does it help me grow, what can this teach me? Life is a lesson, it's up to you how you learn.

And as far as you and others being offended with Wiccans "using" Kemetic gods for Wiccan rituals all I have to say is-well that's your problem. (No offense). Being offended by what other people do is a personal decision. No one requires you to be offended by someone elses personal decisions that don't actually effect you in any way. Furthermore, is it really any of your business what they do? (That is of course, besides the people waxing braggadocious about how X god said this to them, and Y god did this and NO it's the ONLY way they are, anything you say about them is WRONG- etc bla bla bla-these people are trying to make their business, everyone elses business anyways) I get what people are saying about idiots that don't do their homework, it's annoying as all get out. *I* am Wiccan and I shake my head at what people calling themselves Wiccan proclaim. Again, it's not the religion, it's the people within it, as with any religion. There are Xtian idiots, and Muslim idiots, and Hindu idiots and Wiccan idiots, and ATHEIST idiots- the religion isn't the reason they're an idiot, although alot of people have fun telling you that. Those same people probably have a deeply rooted superiority complex that needs fed, as well as the people making the original proclamations of religious idiocy. It bothers me too that people take ANY gods out of context, sans any kind of research on Them. I could just as easily be offended by a supposed Celtic recon effing something up, or a New Ager telling me that Aset is Isis, and thus the Mother of All: Goddess of Light and Lolipops. Again, is it worth it to ME to care about that? No not really. I can hold conversations with said person airing my own personal views on the subject and try to encourage people to always dig deeper, never stop chasing wisdom, but at the end of the day-everyone has their own path, their own lessons, their own experience, and I have mine. Some people always think they're experts on everything. To realize that people differ and it's not my job to police opinions, is important to who I am and what I'm doing. YMMV.

Tai'a....yeah....that's.....um....
:  o

"3467"-I have noticed on this thread, and quite a few others, a feeling of anger on your part towards other people of other paths different from yours. That's your perogative of course, but I could suggest that you deeply and prayerfully, inspect what your motivations are for trying to stir up anger, or get people to agree with you in being angry at these other paths. What puropse does it serve you? I think that sometimes anger is a tool that can be used and harnessed for betterment, it can be a catalsyt used to break free from apathy, however excessive anger can boil over and consume you in the end. Much like a sword it can cut you as easily as it can cut others.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 12:06:36 pm »
Sorry about the confusion there,Ta_Imu_Aset. I should of been more clearer (this is the last time I post a topic early in the morning). I meant that I use to be wiccan and now serve the Kemetic Gods. I hope that clears things up. I'm getting a kick out of what people are saying and I'm glad that no one is screaming or yelling at me. Personally my thoughts that here with all you groovy, and soon to get a ton of chocolate chip cyber cookies,people is that there are several fertility gods that are worshiped within the Kemetic faith.

I just never proscribed to the thought of a Lord and Lady having a union that produced a child that the Lady would later on have relations with after her other half died, who would produce the same child that she would have relations after the child that she had that turned to her other half died. I hope that I'm making some sense here and I mean no disrespect to wiccans, as Wicca was a great jump off point and led me to you groovy people (I just love calling you guys that).

Of course if I had never started practicing Wicca (if you call hardly doing any spells and such practicing) I feel that I would of never felt the call of Isis and later on came into the service of Sekhmet. Speaking of Sekhmet. I was on one of these groups, don't know which, and when I mentioned that I honor and worship Sekhmet I was told that Sekhmet was a crone (I'm sure that someone brought this up) and I really got mad at them.

Now I know that their all about honoring the Goddess in her three forms but please keep your hands off of Sekhmet. She's not a crone and Bastet isn't a moon goddess 9someone mentioned about that). Just something that I want to tell and you all get a ton of chocolate chip cyber cookies. Thanks.  

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 12:33:37 pm »
Ahhh 3467, I have SO much of a clearer picture on where you're going with this post. You have an issue with specific Wiccan tenets. My thoughts on that are that while Wicca presents certain myths or ideologies or ways of showing divinity, you are (or I have been) encouraged to come to my own conclusions on it. Basically to think for yourself. Within a certain framework on the surface, but the way you arrive at certain points is entirely up to you. If I don't believe in something, such as the situation you've mentioned here, then it's just not going to click, ever. I find the Lord and the Lady, the dying and resurrected god, the Lover/Son, EXTREMELY symbolic. I generally reference that scenario as a collection of forces: growth, dying (Death/decay etc.), regeneration , and rebirth. If you anthropomorphize it too much, it becomes icky. I don't really go there personally.

I myself have not needed to ditch the ship that brought me here, that they are compatible as I grok them, and further, Aset especially requires me to learn some of the lessons I currently am (and will probably continue to) within my Wiccan activities, church and coven. I really like my coven, it's very open and I couldn't be learning what I am now if I threw it over completely for the forums here, the occasional trip to Tawy, and ONLY Kemetic rituals-though I tend to skew Kemetic and hoodoo in personal practices/rits. The lessons I learn and the knowledge I have accessible to me here are equally valuable, and KO and Wicca both serve me well. At the time. Who knows that could change at any time.

I understand your anger at misrepresentation of a goddess you feel close to, totally. Just don't let it bother you too long, unless you think it will help you in some way. Like I said, being the opinion police is tiring, and distracting.

There are "fundies" in any religious group as far as I've seen. The best way to deal with it most of the time is letting them just make idiots out of themselves until they have done all the work of discrediting themselves, for you.

I just never proscribed to the thought of a Lord and Lady having a union that produced a child that the Lady would later on have relations with after her other half died, who would produce the same child that she would have relations after the child that she had that turned to her other half died. I hope that I'm making some sense here and I mean no disrespect to wiccans, as Wicca was a great jump off point and led me to you groovy people (I just love calling you guys that).

Of course if I had never started practicing Wicca (if you call hardly doing any spells and such practicing) I feel that I would of never felt the call of Isis and later on came into the service of Sekhmet. Speaking of Sekhmet. I was on one of these groups, don't know which, and when I mentioned that I honor and worship Sekhmet I was told that Sekhmet was a crone (I'm sure that someone brought this up) and I really got mad at them.

Now I know that their all about honoring the Goddess in her three forms but please keep your hands off of Sekhmet. She's not a crone and Bastet isn't a moon goddess 9someone mentioned about that). Just something that I want to tell and you all get a ton of chocolate chip cyber cookies. Thanks.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Ta_Imu_Aset »
Timu

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 12:58:59 pm »
Ta_Imu_Aset, I'm glad that I was able to finally show what I meant by this post(another by-produce of doing this post early in the morning...confusion). I do have problems with certain tenants and I'm not going to hide it from anyone. I'm going to follow your wise advice and just let them do what they want to. This is where I belong and I'm not leaving. Thank you for your words of wisdom.  

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 03:42:16 pm »
Ta_Imu_Aset, I'm glad that I was able to finally show what I meant by this post(another by-produce of doing this post early in the morning...confusion). I do have problems with certain tenants and I'm not going to hide it from anyone. I'm going to follow your wise advice and just let them do what they want to. This is where I belong and I'm not leaving. Thank you for your words of wisdom.  

That's cool, I have absolutely nothing wrong with differing opinions, on the contrary diversity is crucial to us humans-so no reason to hide anything. Problems usually only occur when someone demands someone else to agree utterly with their point of view, or make insulting remarks about someone elses.

: >

If someones views bothers you, all you CAN really do is offer a counterbalance to them.
Timu

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 03:50:59 pm »
as Wicca was a great jump off point and led me to you groovy people  

*highly appreciative of being referred to as groovy*. *big kitty smiles*

Senebty,

Qaitsenu

I will be remembered by those whose lives I've most affected, and least realized it.

W'abet Djehuty her Bast | Herisesheta Bast
Sau Apprentice | Fedw Diviner | The Original Kitbis

http://deskofthescribe.blogspot.com

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal