collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: What is Kemetic Orthodox View of Wicca?  (Read 24615 times)

Offline Linda

• Remetj
Re: What is Kemetic Orthodox View of Wicca?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 06:10:32 pm »
I am also a Hedgewitch, and have been since I was younger. I have Celtic/Druid roots through my grandparents. I also work with it alongside Kemetic deities, and have been guided by Aset, and even encouraged by her. It was Aset that led me to Kemet, and I have had no problem following both paths. My path is important to me, as are the deities, and I have the utmost respect for them. It shouldn't matter what other people think.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 06:14:26 pm by Linda »
You don't know what you can do until you try.

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 06:30:56 pm »
It is for each of us to discover on a personal level, as far as I'm concerned. As for myself I practice Witchcraft and Heathenism along with Kemetic Orthodoxy, though I put my Mothers first in all things. It works ok for me.

I have heard from other people whose experience causes them to feel that Kemetic Names and Norse deities don't "get along" well. And if that is an individual's experience then they should go with what feels right. But each of us has a different relationship with the Names of Kemet... and with other deities/traditions.

As for Wicca, there are a lot of illusions out there. It helps if we don't lump everyone in one basket. Wicca means different things to different people. Even Wiccans can't agree on what it means - according to some traditions, I would be a first degree, whereas there are others that would say I was not properly initiated. It's almost like the different sects of Christianity. There are also different Kemetic churches out there, some of whom do things differently from the House of Netjer. But I think the important thing is that we all have respect for other traditions, and behave in a manner that will be likewise worthy of respect. :)

Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 03:50:04 am »
Well said! :)
You don't know what you can do until you try.

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 07:49:59 am »
Wonderful post Aashem!
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 10:02:20 am »
Em hotep!

Before I came to the House, I was with a very disciplined branch of Wicca and it served me quite well in Ritual disciplines that I might not have gotten anywhere else.  I still do spellwork, and I credit my Wiccan training under that Order with having the necessary discline and focus to do it with proficiency.   I would be an absolute fool to say that it had no value or to turn my nose up at others who have had or still have a similar approach to their own spiritual lives.

I am not Wiccan now. I used it as the vehicle to help me to get here. I knew that going in to Wicca - I wanted the real deal of Ancient Kemet's religion - Wicca, alas, isn't really that closely related. It has Kemetic adaptations and those are all fine and good but there are definite differences. The differences, however, should not be detriments.

As to the "official stance" of Kemetic Orthodoxy, I guess I have to ask, why does it matter?  I am not sure that there is or should even be some sort of implied conformity where you get guilted into some kind of obedience.  That's for other Faiths. Not this one.  When you come to the House of Netjer, you are not handing over your head, you do not have a list of thou shalt nots etc.  What you have is a unique and personal rsponsibility along with the personal relationship that you have with your Gods. How you choose to uphold that nad unfold that is completely individual.  I think there is far too much energy expended upon the alleged "bragging rights" of which Tradition or Religion is more correct, more spiritual, more mystical, more fun, more whatever. It does not and should not matter to anyone other than the person whose personal practice it is.

The challenge I found in my transition from Wicca to Kemetic Orthooxy is sorting out what parts were true, which parts were urban legend (eg. 9 million witches in the so-called "burning times") and what things are universally true of any and every spiritual practice.  

In this day and age, is no excuse for not being aware of what you believe and why. Real history shall always and all all times trump revisionist histories, no matter how appealing the lie happens to be and nothing replaces hands on, personal experience of the individual.  We have minds and I am absolutely certain that our Gods would want us to use them.

Senebty!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:11:47 am by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 11:38:35 pm »
Thank you for both the question and the many answers that have followed.  I am probably as new as they come to Kemetic Orthodoxy.  This has been very enlightening and comforting to know that it is a "common view" that one's past should not be ignored or devalued for one's present and/or future paths.
Daughter of Ptah and Bast
Beloved of Nebthet-Nit-Seshat and Heru-wer

Offline Phoenix_Falls

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 01:35:14 pm »
Quote from: WindWeaver
Thank you for both the question and the many answers that have followed.  I am probably as new as they come to Kemetic Orthodoxy.  This has been very enlightening and comforting to know that it is a "common view" that one's past should not be ignored or devalued for one's present and/or future paths.

My nana always had the best saying:

"Look at your hand. Your palm is Creator and your fingers are all the paths to Creator. They all look separate, but they all stem from and go to the same place. Your pinky is no less or greater than the finger next to it."

I've always like that about the House; everyone has more or less common beliefs, but everyone is free to agree to disagree and encouraged to do so. It makes it easy for me to be a Kemetic Revivalist with Recon-sauce, a side of Blackfoot, Hindu garnishes, and a glass of Unitarian Universalist without saying that and everyone going:  

O_o; <(say whaaat? You can't do that!)
[color:red]"Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapooi" [/color]
My tumblr
[color:blue]Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert[/color]
Facebook

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 07:16:21 pm »
Quote from: Phoenix_Falls

This made me laugh!
Daughter of Ptah and Bast
Beloved of Nebthet-Nit-Seshat and Heru-wer

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 10:26:32 pm »

My nana always had the best saying:

"Look at your hand. Your palm is Creator and your fingers are all the paths to Creator. They all look separate, but they all stem from and go to the same place. Your pinky is no less or greater than the finger next to it."

I've always like that about the House; everyone has more or less common beliefs, but everyone is free to agree to disagree and encouraged to do so. It makes it easy for me to be a Kemetic Revivalist with Recon-sauce, a side of Blackfoot, Hindu garnishes, and a glass of Unitarian Universalist without saying that and everyone going:  

Hotep!

That is indead an awesome saying!  ^_^

Regarding the faith/culture mix....can we at least do the confused pirate squint (prior to the say whaaat.....?) ?  Gotta love the confused pirate squint even if we don't have problems with the faith/culture mix....  ^_^

Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Priest of Nebt-het and Serqet
Beloved of Ptah and Tasenetnofret
revdwinterfeldt@kemet.org

Offline Phoenix_Falls

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 09:58:23 am »
Quote from: Imyutimuti

Hotep!

That is indead an awesome saying!  ^_^

Regarding the faith/culture mix....can we at least do the confused pirate squint (prior to the say whaaat.....?) ?  Gotta love the confused pirate squint even if we don't have problems with the faith/culture mix....  ^_^

Senebty,
Imti

Haha, I've gotten the confused pirate squint before, but usually by the time another person and I are trading spiritual ideas, they tend to get it once I explain it. Makes sense to me! I think the Blackfoot/UU mix I've explained in the 'Explain Your Path to Netjer' thread, but the Hindu deities have a really sly way of just sneakin' up on a girl. Especially Hanuman-ji, Sri Ganesha and Durga-Maa. I've gotten the impression that Ganesh and Djehuti are totally buddies too =D

Sometimes, though, I'll just tell people I'm a Monist and leave it at that. Providing they know what the snap that is, it's a lot easier to explain and then when I *do* go into what I specifically believe, it lines up nicely with the idea of Spiritual Monism.
[color:red]"Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapooi" [/color]
My tumblr
[color:blue]Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert[/color]
Facebook

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 01:25:36 pm »
I've gotten the impression that Ganesh and Djehuti are totally buddies too =D

You know... I can definitely see that.  XD
Senebty,

Qaitsenu

I will be remembered by those whose lives I've most affected, and least realized it.

W'abet Djehuty her Bast | Herisesheta Bast
Sau Apprentice | Fedw Diviner | The Original Kitbis

http://deskofthescribe.blogspot.com

Offline Sobekemiti

• Shemsu
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 12:35:57 am »
I've gotten the impression that Ganesh and Djehuti are totally buddies too =D

This has been my experience with Them both too. Djehuty introduced me to Ganesha. I got the sense They quite like hanging out together. I even stumbled across a drawing someone had done online of Djehuty and Ganesha together, so clearly it's not just us. :P
Sobekemiti ('Sobek is my Daddy') | Genderfluid (they/them) | Sau Apprentice
mes-en-Sobek Shedety
meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Aset, Djehuty, her Wepwawet
Per Sebek (new url) | Emiti's carrd

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2010, 02:34:00 am »
What an interesting thread! Like many, I've explored Wicca, but it never quite worked for me, not sure why. (My husband is still convinced I'm a WITCH, but that's to do with his sisters , not me:).
Phoenix Falls - As a Grandma myself, I wish I was half as wise as your Nana sounds!
Taiawepwaret - On "Book Wiccans", I totally agree - my teenaged daughter is doing that bit at the moment. It's a start, but I have a feeling it won't get her very far. MY opinion - she might find happiness there, but I know I wasted an awful lot of time doing that sort of research when I was her age...

And, NO,Yinepu would not do THAT!! (Well, he doesn't seem as inclined to as some other Jackally things I've come across, anyway :) ).
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 03:34:37 pm »
Wicca was a vehicle that got me here. I practice Kemetic first, and foremost, but I also practice Hinduism and Pow-Wow. Pow-Wow, not confusing anyone for the Native Americans, is what the Penn Dutch call themselves that practices a combination of Christianity and Witchcraft. I'm part Penn Dutch so I'm very connected to them. However I love my Egyptian Gods and I also love Kali but Sekhmet and Heru come first even if I've not been given my parent divination.
I follow the rhythm of Egypt.

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 09:50:52 pm »
Heh...careful now! You don't want to be cofusing some us poor  NDNs (Native Americans) here who LOVE a good Powwow and can't wait for the season to begin again! ;))

Senebty!
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955