collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Let's talk about Khnum!  (Read 7172 times)

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
Let's talk about Khnum!
« on: September 07, 2010, 07:30:41 pm »
Em hotep, everyone!

I have decided that I would try learning about Names that I am unfamiliar with yet am curious about and figured I'd start here!

I was wondering what you could tell me about Khnum. I know that He is a creator god via the pottery wheel and is shown with outstretched horns. I understand that He is supposed to be ram-horned but I see the horns more as bull-horns... is that all right?

As far as offerings go, I saw   this link. It was incredibly helpful, but I was wondering what anyone else might have to add as far as offerings go. Also, does He prefer any certain colors, textures, or scents?

I am also very curious about everyone's person UPGs on Khnum. I do understand that a lot of people get Khnum as a Ra sync, but I am wondering overall about Khnum on His own.

I really appreciate any information that you guys could give me. Thank you!!

Senebty and much love,
Satsenu
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Satsenu »
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Munefmontu

• Shemsu
Re: Let's talk about Khnum!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 09:18:56 pm »
Hotep Satsenu,

I <3 Khnum! I need a bumper sticker that says that :)

He is more than just creation and fertility. He is the guardian/father/source of the Nile. He is closely associated with water and the innundation.

Khnums horns are horizontal and supposed to be from a specific ram (which is the first domesticated in Egypt) I can see where one would interpret bull and I can't see anything wrong with that. Aside from the traditional horns, I associated deer horns with Him...not really sure why...they just seem right. Bull horns are out for me...but that may be because Dad claims them and curvy down horns are all Amun-Ra (though sometimes I think antelope or springbok)

I added my two cents to that thread on offerings to Him... so I'll skip answering that here. I will add that as far as textures... grass, dirt, bark, water, stones, rocks.. he seems to have a preference for natural things. Scents... cedar, cypress, pine.

As far as UPG goes... I don't get Him as a Ra sync. I "get" Him as a primal force, very old, and raw but entirely controlled, calm, peaceful, deep, curious,... I wish I was better at describing what I mean...

The best way to get to know Him is just to talk to Him. Maybe do something creative and offer the act to Him.

I hope that helps...
Sat Montu
Meryt Amun-Ra her Sekhmet her Khnum

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:17:00 am »
Thank you for your input, Munefmontu!

((It seems to me that I am becoming interested in more Names than I have space for to put on my shrines :eek:. Someday I shall have a whole room for the gods! I know that it isn't necessary to have a place for Everyone, but I loves the shinies. Hehe))
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:41:18 am »
I just had a thought.... Khnum is always said to be 'ram-headed', but no one ever specifies if He is a sheep ram or a goat ram... Curious. :smile: The horns sort of remind me of a Boer goat, but I could be dead wrong!
Satsenu, Daughter of Two

Offline Munefmontu

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:19:58 pm »
Specifically Khnums animal theophany is said to be that of an extinct breed known as Ovis longipes palaeo aegypticus. Ovis is the genus for sheep...so I suppose that makes His ram a sheep ram. Though in all honesty, He doesn't seem to mind either one. Myself being a capricorn I have sort of an affinity for the goat. I have goats in my shrine for Him.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:20:18 pm by Munefmontu »
Sat Montu

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:52:57 pm »
Thank you for that info too!
Satsenu, Daughter of Two

Offline Nityinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 02:34:11 am »
Hotep, Satsenu!

YaY Khnum!  =D  I have a great statue of Him in my shrine.  so far, its one of the only 2 I've seen of Him with the 'proper' horns.

Here it is, though its a side shot.

So far, He hasn't been too picky about offerings- the only thing He really insists on is cool water.  Oh, and He likes yellow and orange, but not like a bright orange.  More of a clay orange.

As for interactions, He likes to sit with me when I'm being creative, especially when I'm using my hands.  He's very calm force- but He is a force.  He's primal, but more like a 'huge calm lake that's been here since the dawn of time' than anything else, if that makes sense.

Hope this helps!
Nityinepu AKA Niti Yinepu's
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet, meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Bast-Mut, her Khnum
Sau Apprentice-in-waiting

Offline Djehutyendy

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 09:11:10 am »
I really love Khnum! I don't have a ton of experience with Him, but He has definitely been a part of my spiritual life. The only stuff I have to share about Him is all UPG. I see Khnum as very strong and tough, but at the same time gentle. Like a very large goat that is soft and sweet but has the ability to destroy with His powerful horns. I also see Him as very old and wise. I don't get Khnum as a Ra sync, either.

In my experience, He loves offerings of building and creating things. Clay is an obvious choice here, but any creativity is good for Him! Khnum loves art, architecture, etc.

Colors that I associate with Khnum are dark colors, like black brown, steel gray, etc. I don't really have anything to say about textures. As for scents, I think He likes the richer and smokier scents.

Senebty
Endy
Daughter of Djehuty | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb
Please feel free to reach out to me if you ever need anything or just want to talk! (Email: djehutyendy@gmail.com ; Discord: Djehutyendy#5816)

Offline Meruti

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 06:28:57 pm »
I think Khnum is a pretty cool guy. Eh makes pottery and doesn't afraid of anything!

Seriously, though ... I really, really love Khnum. He is my third Beloved; I was divined as His a couple of years ago after I had a couple of very striking dreams about Him.

I have always found Khnum to be fatherly and protective. He is gently funny and deeply, unfathomably calm. Unshakable is the correct term, I think. His presence feels like an embrace. He's about as talkative as Aset, which is saying a lot, but whereas She is very cool and direct in Her manner, He is warm and rambly. I almost never picture Him with the ram's head; He always appears to me as a tall man with very dark skin and hands and arms streaked with clay.

I've found that Khnum enjoys simple offerings like cool water, fresh bread, and raw leafy greens like spinach and lettuce. Stones, soil, sand, and wet clay all go over well. He likes aquatic flowers and ornamental grasses too, things like water lilies and cattails. I second what Munef said about Him liking scents such as cedar and cypress, and what Endy said about Him enjoying the act of creating art as an offering.

In short, Khnum is about the kindest god you could ever hope to meet. He will love you. I think he loves everyone. :]
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

Offline Munefmontu

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 11:53:23 pm »
Quote from: Nityinepu
He's very calm force- but He is a force.  He's primal, but more like a 'huge calm lake that's been here since the dawn of time' than anything else, if that makes sense.

Much more eloquently put...and exactly what I meant :)
Sat Montu

Offline Baket

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 01:20:43 pm »
Wow, this is really interesting. As I was reading, I started to think that perhaps when I get my little pond fixed up/cleaned up I would like to dedicate it to Him ... but with all the frogs, I think it's already been taken over by Heqat! lol
Devotee of the Divine Felines and my darling Loki
http://www.zazzle.com/cattywompus

Offline Munefmontu

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 04:28:53 pm »
I'm sure they can share Baket :)
Sat Montu

Offline Baket

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 04:36:51 pm »
Hee hee yes, that's what I get for shooting off the post so quickly, I should have added that it wont hurt to share, and perhaps add Nefertem and Hapy as well. :)
Devotee of the Divine Felines and my darling Loki
http://www.zazzle.com/cattywompus

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 06:05:19 pm »
Oh wow! Thank you so much for all the information so far!
Satsenu, Daughter of Two

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 09:02:20 am »
Just bumping this up to see what others have to say. ^_^
Satsenu, Daughter of Two

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3312
  • stats Total Posts: 299385
  • stats Total Topics: 20544
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955