Register
collapse collapse

* Donation Status

53%
Current donation status as of April 14, 2021 = $2,027.16 of $2,500
(81%)
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 29
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: New to Kemet: A Question about the Gods  (Read 3741 times)

New to Kemet: A Question about the Gods
« on: September 10, 2010, 02:34:47 am »
I apologize in advance if this has already come up (in which case I would be eternally grateful if someone would point me in the direction of an older thread!), but I am all at once eager and a little confused!

I know that there is someone (or several someones!) working in my life, but I'm not sure who. I'm not yet familiar with the symbols and such associated with the different gods/goddesses, so if they've tried to show themselves to me I would probably miss it at this point, which is frustrating. Or.. would I? If I was meant to notice a sign, would it be something that would stick out very obviously to me? Or would it be subtle and possibly overlooked?

What would be the best way to take an active approach, so that I could be the one to say "I'm ready, please show me"? Or is that not how it works?

Thank you in advance for any help. I very much appreciate it!

Re: New to Kemet: A Question about the Gods
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 03:05:16 am »
Any specific symbols?  Personally I'd think they would have to mean something specifically to you, but maybe you could use some outside-influenced inspiration.

Also, have you tried looking at the big picture first and letting the small parts fall into place?  If you feel tugged to Kemet, perhaps you could try relating to just Netjer in general first?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Setkheni_itw »
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 07:31:44 am »
Perhaps setting up a generic shrine (with perhaps just an ankh symbol or the like) and burning incense and making little offerings, asking Netjer for guidance etc, might be the way to go? Signaling the Netjer that you are open (and really keeping yourself open).

Senut (a Kemetic Orthodoxy ritual) is usually suggested as a way to open up to Netjer, which you can find in the Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook, or in the beginners class. You can find the Prayerbook here:

http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Egyptian-Prayerbook-Tamara-Siuda/dp/0578030713

Hope that helps! Good luck to you on your path Sairys!
:  )

Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 07:58:30 am »
Hotep

Asking is appropriate :) If you *think* a god is helping you or somehow present in your life in some way, ask. Consistent prayer and conversation to Netjer, to gods, along with making offerings, is certainly a polite way to signal that one gives serious attention to the gods.

Symbols can be tricky, as was already said--and there are also Akhu, that is, ancestors, who may be around us to help as well.

It may not necessarily just be a god or gods. I also suggest that sometimes a god or gods helps us but then moves on after a time.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 09:26:26 am »
I'm going to second (or third) the suggestion about making a generic altar to Netjer maybe with a white candle or white cloth, incense or essential oil and an ankh or Ma'at symbol just to let Netjer know that you are open to communication.  

You could also just pray to any of the gods an/or goddesses you feel a resonance with.  I'd suggest looking through a glossary of deities (like the one on http://www.kemet.org) or getting the ancient Egyptian Prayerbook (which not only has prayers for specific gods, but also introductory information on those gods) which can be purchased at http://www.egyptianprayers.com or on Amazon.  
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut,  Bast-Mut, Shu, Tefnut

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 09:34:11 am »

Welcome to the wonderful and exciting process of discovery! ^_^  I don't really have much to add to the very good suggestions already given, other than to agree that it's always appropriate to greet the Gods and to ask Who's at work in your life. Good luck (and don't stress)!

Shefyt

Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Menekh

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 09:47:15 am »
Em Hotep Sairys!

I concur with everyone else.  Getting to know Who is around you is like getting to know new people.  You might try just saying "hello" with a smile, maybe say thank you for what you have received, and then maybe a polite "I'm not sure who you are, but I'd like for us to get to know each other better".  Then just wait. As They get to know you better, They will know what signs, symbols, dreams, occurrences, etc. resonate with you and things will begin to happen. The process works in both directions :) .

What is most important at this point is maybe not Who is around you, but that you are beginning to notice that you have some wonderful SomeOnes around you.  That's all part of the process in learning this type of communication.

Congrats on having wonderful stuff happening!

Menekh
"One does not beg the sun for mercy."
- Frank Herbert

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 06:35:28 pm »
Quote from: Sedjemes
Hotep

Asking is appropriate :) If you *think* a god is helping you or somehow present in your life in some way, ask. Consistent prayer and conversation to Netjer, to gods, along with making offerings, is certainly a polite way to signal that one gives serious attention to the gods.

Symbols can be tricky, as was already said--and there are also Akhu, that is, ancestors, who may be around us to help as well.

It may not necessarily just be a god or gods. I also suggest that sometimes a god or gods helps us but then moves on after a time.  

As someone new to Kemeticism, this is something I need to work on, conversing with the Names more often, more consistently. Whether a prayer or random chatter, I do not try or remember to as often as I'd like. As a long time agnostic it's a habit I will take time to develop :)

I'm not very open to sensing energies, and I don't remember my dreams often (trying to work on this one) and I don't hear the Names the way some peopel do, but for all I know I'm not hearing or they're waiting on me to start talking back, rather than holding a one way conversation with me. Either way, remembering them, thinking of them, talking to them, even if it feels like talking to yourself, is a positive thing to do. I talk to myself enough already, might as well make it be a worthwhile conversation  :D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:36:17 pm by Osaii »

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3405
  • stats Total Posts: 301408
  • stats Total Topics: 20755
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 121
  • stats Most Online: 955