collapse collapse

* Donation Status

37%   Current donation status as of January 22, 2021 = $932 of $2,500 (37%)   Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Finding a name in a different way  (Read 12540 times)

Finding a name in a different way
« on: September 13, 2010, 04:51:12 pm »
Hello,

I'm new to the forums, but have been interested in KO and other Egyptian-based paths for a while. I don't think KO is currently for me, but that doesn't stop me being interested :)

I've read the forums a bit, and just had a few questions, and wondered if anyone would be able to help. I hope I don't sound stupid, or get shot down.

Bast is my patron deity, and has been for a long time. I've been looking for a 'name' to represent my relationship with her, 'daughter of Bast', or something equally meaningful.
I'm aware that I could do the beginners course and be named, but I don't know if I'm ready for that/will ever be ready for that. I'm at a crossroads, almost.
I've noticed that a lot of you have very beautiful names, with beautiful meanings, and wondered, did you all get your names through HoN? Or did some of you come up with your names yourselves? If so, would anyone be able to point me in the direction of any good resources for names?
I've seen the name 'Tashenubaste' thrown around the internet, when I've done a search for 'daughter of Bast', but the sources are VERY questionable.

Also, I've read the FAQ at Kemet.org, concerning language and sayings like 'Em Hotep' and such, and have a basic understanding, but a lot of you use language and terms in your signatures, regarding your Shemsu names, and your parents/beloveds.
After you took your beginners courses, did things suddenly seem a little more clear to you, language-wise?

Any help is much appreciated, I'm still quite the noob, and just need a bit of guidance :)

Thanks in advance :)

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Finding a name in a different way
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 05:05:48 pm »
Daughter of Bast would probably just be "Satbast" (like most of us have in our signatures).

The names we use here mostly come from the Naming ceremony in KO. Some do use names given to them by Gods, or that they've come up with themselves.

The best resource really, is a learn it yourself book (or even better, a short course or two or a degree), a good dictionary (go-go Faulkner!).

Mostly just hanging around here and picking up the words used has given me agrasp of random language usage. It's been really amusing getting half way through this book I'm using, and having it finally say "btw, this is what heri-tep means!" And I'm all ".... duh." because it's a term we've used here (chief priest).

Any words we use here that you don't know, ask! :D

Edit: Btw, 'shn' and 'shnw' mean a lot of things in the dictionary I have, but daughter isn't one of them. I really don't know what the person you got that name from is basing it on. What do the sources say?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:08:43 pm by Taiawepwawet »

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:11:31 pm »
Finding a name is a challenge. I currently use two- one of which I "got" from a deity (and was translated with help from a friend of mine), and the other I pieced together using various dictionaries I could find on the internet. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if my pieced together name (Seshemherkekewet) is wrong. It just worked for the time.

Most of the names you see here comes from the naming ceremony here at KO. Even if you take the beginners course, you'd still have to undergo the RPD, and accept the results of the RPD, and become a shemsu before being named. So in that regard, it's far more than just taking the beginners class. Ironically, save for the basic Em Hotep, Senebty, etc, the beginners course covers pretty much nothing about language. So if you're hoping for something there, you'd be disappointed. As stated above, the best way to learn anything about the language is to get a book, and learn that way. even if it isn't the easiest way to learn.

Hope that helps.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:12:13 pm »
Hey, thanks for your reply :)

A quick search on Amazon has come up with Faulker's 'Concise Dictionary of Middle Egyptian', would that be a good place to start?

As for the Tashenubaste name, it's a name from a popular comic called 'Bast'. It did kind of make me go 'umm.. really?', but you never know I guess!

Thanks so much for your help.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 05:15:13 pm »
Devo, I definitely didn't want to apply for the beginner's course as just a 'thing to do'. I understand that it's much more than that, not to be taken lightly, and I don't think my path is going in that direction, at least not at the moment.

Thanks for your reply :)

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 05:37:09 pm »
I guess it depends. I sat around for a while before taking it, but in the end, it's not anything that I would say is OMG serious. The RPD and shemsu-hood is definitely serious, but hte beginners class is more of a "get to know KO" type thing. It goes over basics about the faith, and can answer questions about it. At least after you've taken it, you know more about the faith/organization, and can interact in more ways with the group. For me, the beginners class helped to settle some of my concerns because I got to get to know KO on a different level. And as I'm sure some others around here can attest- there was a point in time when I was very anti-KO. So it's worth keeping in mind all the same.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 05:47:42 pm »
I definitely will keep it in mind. I fully intend to stay here on the forums too :)

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 06:13:10 pm »
Welcome, Alphya!

I went by "EvolvingWolf" (I am wolf-souled) on here before I was named in the KO after I accepted my RPD results. My name is "Satsenu" which means "Daughter of Two", the two referring to Wepwawet and Bast.

Speaking of Bast, I too, was extremely connected to Her before coming to the House. I was dedicated to Her for about two years before the Lady guided me here. Bast and Yinepu (Anubis in Greek) are said to guide people to the House of Netjer (aka the KO), but they aren't necessarily the Names that show up in your RPD. I got very lucky with mine when I  found out She was one of TWO gods that I belong to!

I hope others come by and help a bit more here than I am able. I'm always open for chats about Bast though! Feel free to PM me anytime. ^_^
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 06:16:22 pm »
I'm just echoing Devo here to say I was relatively anti-KO too, even after the Beginner's Class.  I mean, I didn't take it just to mock it or anything, but I didn't intend to become Shemsu.  It's just "This is what we believe, this is what you'll be getting into if you stick with us."
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 06:20:06 pm »
I feel the need to put in here that I remained a remetj (pre-RPD after the beginners class) for longer than some people do... although there are others that remain remetj for even longer! It all comes down to your relationship with the gods and HOW you agree with Them to pursue your relationship. It's a huge step to go through the RPD. I know a few people that took the beginners class not with the intent to join, but with the intent to learn about a loved one's religious beliefs or just out of mere curiosity! Hey, if all else fails, just take the course for another point of view on the world... it's free!
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Iaityinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 06:22:30 pm »
As Devo said, the beginner's class is an introduction to KO.  It is not a 'tie-you-into-this-religion' type class (although it is a prerequisite for the faith).  Many people just take the class to learn what their loved ones are getting into (parents/partners etc) and I am sure there are some people who do the class with the intention of Never joining the faith.  Just because you do the class, doesn't mean you intend on joining Kemetic Orthodoxy.  It just means you want to find out stuff about it.

As for names,
Here is a good online dictionary

and then there's This archive (although I don't guarentee any accuracy of the names, or originality..
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet Meryt Satet her Amun-Ra
Iait (with an i, not an L): Adoring

I offer affordable guidance readings, distant healing and developmental courses.  Please take a look - Readings by Caroline

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 06:48:59 pm »
Em hotep, Alphya!  :)

i've been on the boards here for over 2 years now and am still a Remetj.  like you, i had a very strong and close relationship with Bast before even investigating the House, and i still do...only now i've gotten to develop relationships with a few other Names, as well (most notably Sekhmet).  Bast may be known for bringing people to the House, but how far we take it from there is up to us, no question.  the thing i've always loved and appreciated about this community is that there is never any pressure to take anything to the next level, and i've never been made to feel any less welcome or any less a part of the community here for not having an RPD done (yet; i never say never!)  :)  i do recommend taking the Beginner's Class, although as others have pointed out, it doesn't cover much specifically about language, though there are many good language scholars here who can be very helpful if you have a question!  

i'm also familiar with the Bast comic you referred to- i'm quite fond of it, myself!  Bast has led me to a somewhat different translation of the name "Tashenubaste" than the one given there, however.  ;)

hope you enjoy the boards!
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 07:06:39 pm »
That's an excellent dictionary :) It will be confusing at first: it's ordered by egyptian -> english, and by egyptian alphabet. But it's excellent.

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 07:10:04 pm »
You've all been VERY helpful!
I'm always seeking to learn new things, new ideas, new perspectives, and ways to open up new paths. Thank you for the heads up on the beginners class, I think I'll definitely look into it more.

It's lovely to know that Bast has such a presence here! I've never really been able to find people devoted to her, especially in my area, so it's very reassuring that I've found a place to settle, ask questions, and feel warmed by other people's love for her.

This one of just two forums where I've not been made to feel like a complete noob, or have my thoughts shot down, so thank you again for making me feel welcome. :D

Offline Naisenu

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 12:09:39 am »
I use this dictionary online. (Up in the top right corner you can change the language to English, default is French.) http://www.projetrosette.info/page.php?Id=1

* Most Recent Topics

topic RPD Scheduled!
[[PUBLIC] FAQ: RPD (Rite of Parent Divination)]
Emsenet
Today at 04:50:32 pm
topic Hi everyone!!!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Rev. Raheri
January 19, 2021, 02:23:16 pm
topic WANT TO SEE YOUR SHRINE PICTURES
[[PUBLIC] Kemetic Orthodox Q&A]
Nesertem
January 18, 2021, 12:28:17 am
topic What is your favorite story?
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
Asethepetwi
January 17, 2021, 11:39:43 pm
topic Is Horus Greco Roman?
Taji
January 17, 2021, 07:37:34 am
topic Status Report-Half Year-Special Fundraising Campaigns
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 17, 2021, 01:28:52 am
topic Current Fundraising/Donations status, January 16, 2021
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 16, 2021, 01:55:14 am
topic Affection for a deity that you do not know
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Sobekemiti
January 15, 2021, 06:28:59 am
topic Ra UPG
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Tahai
January 13, 2021, 09:07:31 pm
topic Em hotep!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
mercymagpie
January 13, 2021, 05:03:13 pm
topic The 42 Purifications
[[PUBLIC] Kemet Today - Rev. Tamara's Blog & Podcast]
Yinepuemsaes
January 13, 2021, 11:44:07 am
topic Em Hotep, everyone!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Nesertem
January 12, 2021, 07:22:57 pm
topic Upcoming virtual lectures in Egyptology!
Rev. Shezatwepwawet
January 09, 2021, 01:38:54 pm
topic Hello Everyone!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Senuwierneheh
January 07, 2021, 09:49:17 am

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3335
  • stats Total Posts: 300142
  • stats Total Topics: 20632
  • stats Total Categories: 8