Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 64
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Herb and Stone Heka  (Read 6070 times)

Herb and Stone Heka
« on: September 15, 2010, 03:14:07 pm »
I was wondring if anyone in Kemetic Orthodox used herb and/or stone Heka (magic).  Also did the Ancient Kemetics belive that herbs and stones had Heka?

Offline Devo

• Remetj
Re: Herb and Stone Heka
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:38:48 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by having heka, but I know that in AE, stones and herbs were used in various medical/magical papyri and concotions to help patients get better. So in that sense, they were used in heka rituals.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 03:46:13 pm »
Em hotep Lenny:

The answer is yes and yes. :) I am an herbalist, and I use herbs and stones and heka all the time.  In my personal experience, you cannot make herbal medicine of any efficacy without heka. It doesn't work as well. All plants and even stones have spirits or netjeri in them. It doesn't matter if someone believes that or not, they quite simply do. People have been sensing these subtle entities for aeons. So why not treat them as allies rather than pretending they simply aren't there? ;)

Not all physicians, midwives, etc. were literate enough to write down their formulae, but some were.   We do have extant papyrii that shows various forms of this.
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 04:00:53 pm »
Personally, I practice healing with stones (mainly crystals). I consider that a type of heka of sorts!
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 04:55:27 pm »
Thank you. I love herbs and stones and i can feel the energy comeing off them.  I have never thought it it as netjeri before. now that i think of it though that makes alot of sence. Do most cultures see the herbs as the same or did ancient Kemet have diffirent meanings for each herb?

Senebty,
Lenny

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 06:12:19 pm »
This is an interesting thread for me because as well as learning Kemet, I'm also training as a hedgewitch, and healing and herbs is the main thing I work in. I'm learning about crystals and how to work with them too, so i can work this with heka.  :grin:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:13:51 pm by Linda »
You don't know what you can do until you try.

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 06:38:04 pm »
Em hotep!
Quote from: Lenny
Thank you. I love herbs and stones and i can feel the energy comeing off them.  I have never thought it it as netjeri before. now that i think of it though that makes alot of sence. Do most cultures see the herbs as the same or did ancient Kemet have diffirent meanings for each herb?

Very interesting question, Lenny,because it sort of feeds into my own theory that every indigenous culture the world over has had the idea that there are spirits of every kind.  For whatever reason, over history, the Western model wandered away from this ideal, certain religious factions declared such ideas to be heresy, and of course it was regarded as superstitious nonsense because "science couldn't prove it".  

You cannot just take thousands and thousands of years of ancestral knowledge gained from experiences with the interaction of other organic life forms and simply just discount it. In my studies, and I did focus on the herbs and medical systems of ancient Kemet and ancient Vedic (Indian) culture and there are some marked consistencies with the parts of plants used, and why. Every plant has an energetic system, whether it be heating, coolling, drying, moisturizing, etc.  The uses of plants and parts used as well as stones and the "energy" (for lack of a better descriptive) are also fairly consistent.  

While you may not find extant Kemetic texts that talk of this sort of thing directly, you do get hints about it in the artistic canon and also how things were used in the ancient cultures and from that you can kind of get an idea as to what they might have been thinking.

Senebty!
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 05:23:29 am »
How right you are Niankh! We've lost so much valuable knowledge from our ancestors through dismissal of it. We're lucky that any of it managed to survive.
You don't know what you can do until you try.

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 12:27:20 pm »
Quote from: Satsenu
Personally, I practice healing with stones (mainly crystals). I consider that a type of heka of sorts!

we need to have a conversation about this at some point.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 07:10:05 am »
I am open to talk whenever you are Zat! ^_^ Feel free to pm me on here or on FB.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Satsenu »
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline AsetMekti

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 12:28:41 pm »
Hotep Lenny, *henu*

I use stone heka all the time and I create jewelry for healing purposes.  I am also studying to become an herbalist/aromatherapist as well.  I find it important to use all that Netjer has given us to help keep us healthy.
Senebty,
AsetMekti (Sat Aset meryt Wepwawet her Sekhmet her Heru Wer)
Kai Imakhu Wehem es MaatMutes
Hemet Netjer Aset
Heri-Sesheta Aset
Fedw Diviner, Stone Diviner & Tarot

Offline AsetMekti

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 12:34:38 pm »
We should design a workshop of some sort pertaining to this.  It would be very interesting to learn about the stones and herbs in heka.  I'd be willing to do the Stones part since I use them for healing jewelry and in divination.
Senebty,
AsetMekti (Sat Aset meryt Wepwawet her Sekhmet her Heru Wer)
Kai Imakhu Wehem es MaatMutes
Hemet Netjer Aset
Heri-Sesheta Aset
Fedw Diviner, Stone Diviner & Tarot

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 03:25:13 pm »
The ancient Egyptians believed that heka was in everything.  So this would include stones and herbs.  

I make jewelry using semi-precious stones for the deities.  
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het her Wepwawet her Sekhmet-Mut her Ra

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2919
  • stats Total Posts: 285248
  • stats Total Topics: 19325
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything