Register
collapse collapse

* Donation Status

37%   Current donation status as of January 22, 2021 = $932 of $2,500 (37%)   Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: I Should Be Dead Right Now  (Read 23335 times)

Offline Phoenix_Falls

• Divined Remetj
I Should Be Dead Right Now
« on: September 18, 2010, 10:17:54 pm »
Okay, so just fair warning, some of this post may have to go into the TMI bucket =P

Normally I get my period at the beginning of the month. I was two weeks late. I figured it must have been from stress because I'd had a PTSD episode at the beginning of the month and stress has a tendency to throw off ones cycle. I knew I wasn't pregnant so the only things it could have been were stress or cervical cancer (according to WebMD: a hypochondriacs wet dream).

I ended up going to the hospital because I was having terrible cramps for weeks, but no period. I personally don't trust Western medicine at all. It creeps me out and it's very self-serving. They give you pills that give you symptoms you need more pills for and they all do terrible things to your liver so I only go to the hospital in a serious emergency.

The doctor confirmed that I'd just been stressed but he said if I didn't get a period in another week, that I'd have to come back and they'd have to do some tests to see if I had cancer. He recommended I go to GNC and pick up some black cohosh, which I'd never heard of before but is an herbal medication used mainly for menopausal women but it's also a natural abortive and it's a menstrual cycle inducer (it helps shed the uterine lining). He did warn me that in high doses, black cohosh is quite poisonous but I'd need to take more than what the bottle said because I'm not taking it for menopause (way too young for that!).

So I go to the store and get the stuff and after talking to the chick behind the counter, decided that I'd be under the lethal dosage if I took three tablets every four hours instead of one every four hours because the recommended dosage relates to women using it for menopausal symptoms.

The pills were 580mg and I took them at three or four tablets every four hours or so for two and a half days.

I took enough black cohosh to kill myself three times. I was ODing on it for almost 24 hours. My vision was distorted, I was more nauseous than I'd ever been in my life but I couldn't throw up, I was so dizzy that when I went into my office with my friend in his car to pick up some paperwork, my boss was poking fun at me because he thought I was either drunk or severely hung over. I had a god awful headache and I couldn't keep my eyes open because it kept feeling like the world was tilting away from me.

I would have never known what was wrong with me if it hadn't been for me texting my other friend just as a means to stay awake (every time I closed my eyes for too long, I'd get a strange panicky sensation like it was imperative that I stay awake and coherent). She couldn't even understand how I was texting her with the amounts I had taken, and honestly, I don't know how I did either.

I ended up staying at the first friend's house and the second came over after she got off work so they could keep an eye on me. My work-friend had had experience with someone he knew ODing on black cohosh before (he hadn't known I was taking it but it made sense to him after I explained what had happened) and told me that I may start having seizures but he'd keep an eye on me and if it was bad, they'd bring me to the hospital.

I had seizures. I had a lot of seizures. I resisted going to the hospital because something kept telling me that I was fine. The only reason why they didn't bring me to the hospital is apparently, waves of seizures is normal for an OD on cohosh and the concern is heightened only by foaming of the mouth, vomiting, and or lack of coherence (it was my coherence that got me out of going to the hospital) and I was doing none of those things.

It was terrible. At one point, I had to go to the bathroom and had to be all but carried there because I was so dizzy and all my muscles would randomly tense up and feel like they were on fire. The next day (which was yesterday), all that was wrong with me was that I felt kinda sick and I finally threw up (ended up missing work which I was irked about) and just for piece of mind, I went back to the hospital and talked to the doctor I had seen before who had no idea how I was still standing there, let alone how I'd survived the whole night.

Now, I know I have a strong constitution, but I honestly feel like this was Divine Intervention. I don't know Who helped me or how to thank Them since No One has answered me when I asked, but I have the suspicion that it had been Sekhmet and or Het-Hert, the latter of Whom I've been getting closer too lately. Does anyone know how I can find out for sure Who helped me? Should I just do a general "OHEMGEEDOUBLEYOUTEEEFF I'M SO HAPPY TO NOT BE THE OPPOSITE OF ALIVE, THANK YOU!"?

I don't think luck has anything to do with this. I've been advised to go back to the hospital and get my liver checked since black cohosh can mess with your liver (exactly what I was trying to avoid hur hur hur) but barring that, I'm perfectly fine.

Anyways, any thoughts on Who might've helped me would be appreciative.

Also, I'm totally stoked to be alive =D
[color:red]"Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapooi" [/color]
My tumblr
[color:blue]Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert[/color]
Facebook

Offline Siwy

• Shemsu
Re: I Should Be Dead Right Now
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:42:44 am »
Sekhmet's usually the one that deals with health, but Seqet's assosiacted eith poisions and the removal of them as well (I think).
Siwyenbast "announce to Bast"

Sat Bast, Meryt Djehuty, Wesir, Heruakhty.

Things, as well as the gods are always dynamic, never static.  Things change, and to be static is no better than being eaten by monsters.
Don't just BE, DO!

Offline HedebBast

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 03:12:51 am »
NEKHTET for being alive *hugs*!  
Personally, I would just do a general 'thank you' to whoever helped me.  But there might be someone who could help you figure out exactly who it was, who will stop in.  I'm in agreement with Siwy about who it could have been who helped you though.
*more hugs*
-HedebBast-
Sat Bast
Meryt Sekhmet-Mut
Thankful to Set and my Akhu
Facebook|Blog

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 06:39:27 am »
M Htp!

I think Netjer does sometimes intervene for whatever reason.  I can attest to multiple interventions myself.

I am very happy to hear you didn't die, you would be sorely missed.

Senebty,
"Do not be arrogant because of your knowledge, but confer with the ignorant man as with the learned. For knowledge has no limits, and none has yet achieved perfection in it." - The Maxims of Pthahotep

Son of Hethert-Mut/Heru-Wer Beloved of Yinepu, Set and Djehuty

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 09:04:55 am »
Just curiois to know why you went over recommended dosage..
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 09:05:04 am »
Just curiois to know why you went over recommended dosage..
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 09:20:24 am »
Yes, herbs can be dangerous. Just because something is herbal or natural does not mean it is 100% safe. I am glad you are well. Please be very careful with herbs as well as prescription medications.
Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 10:10:30 am »
Being alive is always a miracle, every single second of it. It's good to see that you walked through this particular fire relatively unburned. I'm hope you're feeling 100% soon.
"So the bodhisattva saves all beings, not by preaching sermons to them, but by showing them that they are delivered, they are liberated, by the act of not being able to stop changing." - Alan Watts

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 01:15:49 pm »
Quote from: Phoenix_Falls
O
I took enough black cohosh to kill myself three times. I was ODing on it for almost 24 hours. My vision was distorted, I was more nauseous than I'd ever been in my life but I couldn't throw up, I was so dizzy that when I went into my office with my friend in his car to pick up some paperwork, my boss was poking fun at me because he thought I was either drunk or severely hung over. I had a god awful headache and I couldn't keep my eyes open because it kept feeling like the world was tilting away from me.

Also, I'm totally stoked to be alive =D

Dua Sekhmet for intervening on your behalf. You were extremely fortunate.

I won't lecture you overmuch, Phoenix.  I, too, am very glad you are alive, but I will say this, next time when you are going to do any sort of emenagoguic herbal nudge to your reproductive system, make sure you have a knowlegeable herbalist supervising you. Cohoshes, black or blue are especially dangerous.  Some chicky in an herb store with no certifications usually knows precisly zilch about doseages and contraindications. And if you are taking other pharmaceuticals, that is doubly true. Whether it is Wesetern Medicine, Eastern Medicine or Native American medicine, that level of naturopathic medicine to your cycle, etc. should be very carefully undertaken.

It is unfortunate, but it's things like this that make me know now more than ever that in this current culture, herbs and herbalists should be licensed in the US. Extractives vs. whole herb and the parts of the herb that would have been more efficacious to your situation and contraindications without harming you is absolutely paramount. In the hands of laypersons and dabblers, herbs can be very dangerous indeed.  Dua Netjer you are alright., but there is a definite reason why physicians in medical school are being taught about herbal medications rather than recommending that their patients take more than the recommended doseage OR just rolling their eyes and saying that they don't work. They do work. They just work differently from processed pharmaceuticals, and actual  formulations are a whole other artform in itself - which even most physicians haven't a clue about. Compounding herbal formulas takes years to get the hang of and is almost always tailored to the individual patient.

I shall most definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Also I would also strongly recommend  your seeking out a new doctor.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 01:58:07 pm »
Em hotep Pheonix. Thank Netjer you're still here!  :o I agree with Niankh, go to a qualified herbalist every time. Please don't put yourself at risk again. You would be missed.
You don't know what you can do until you try.

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 02:59:32 pm »
Dua Netjer that you're ok, Phoenix!!  When that doctor told you that you needed more than the dose on the bottle, did he not tell you *how much* more?  Or at least set a limit?  Geeeeeez.
Sat Bast her Djehuty her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 03:02:06 pm »
Quote from: Phoenix_Falls
I've been advised to go back to the hospital and get my liver checked since black cohosh can mess with your liver (exactly what I was trying to avoid hur hur hur)

That'll teach you :P Herbs, 'western medicine', both are pretty damn dangerous for your body. And the former doesn't require any kind of supervision.

In future... more research :/ Ain't no God going to save you from going too far if you do it with a more lethal drug next time. Serqet would be a good Goddess to thank, though she might give you a bit of a smack.

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 05:16:36 pm »
Serqet and Sekhmet all the way.

I have the exact opposite fear... I tend to stick to conventional medicine as I used to be kind of reckless with herbs.  I still use herbs a lot, but not internally because the last time I tried it I wound up with blurry vision and ringing ears.  Good times.

It's not that I wholeheartedly trust conventional medicine either, as some doctors I know don't seem to give a flying wombat about prevention... mine are, though, so I am down with that.

Also I will pray for your liver.  You kind of need that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Setkheni_itw »
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 05:55:32 pm »
I am glad you survived. I suspect you won't do the same thing twice, which is its own treasure, even if it was gotten at such an expense.

I understand trouble with the reproductive system. Mine suffers from crippling irregularity, and I see a Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner (licensed per Texas law) for assistance with mine, and as some of what I'm given could interact with other items and do horrific things, I don't mix without asking.

I had a tiny taste of what incompatible herbs can do last year, and I want none of that. Better to ask than to die in an unflattering, unpleasant way.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Djehutyendy

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 06:25:55 pm »
I am very happy that you are still alive. Dua Netjer! *hugs*

I would definitely suggest thanking Sekhmet and Serqet specifically. But I don't think it would hurt to thank Netjer as a Whole, either :)
Daughter of Djehuty | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb
Please feel free to reach out to me if you ever need anything or just want to talk! (Email: djehutyendy@gmail.com ; Discord: Djehutyendy#5816)

* Most Recent Topics

topic RPD Scheduled!
[[PUBLIC] FAQ: RPD (Rite of Parent Divination)]
Nesiwepwawet
Today at 10:28:28 am
topic Hi everyone!!!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Rev. Raheri
January 19, 2021, 02:23:16 pm
topic WANT TO SEE YOUR SHRINE PICTURES
[[PUBLIC] Kemetic Orthodox Q&A]
Nesertem
January 18, 2021, 12:28:17 am
topic What is your favorite story?
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
Asethepetwi
January 17, 2021, 11:39:43 pm
topic Is Horus Greco Roman?
Taji
January 17, 2021, 07:37:34 am
topic Status Report-Half Year-Special Fundraising Campaigns
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 17, 2021, 01:28:52 am
topic Current Fundraising/Donations status, January 16, 2021
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 16, 2021, 01:55:14 am
topic Affection for a deity that you do not know
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Sobekemiti
January 15, 2021, 06:28:59 am
topic Ra UPG
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Tahai
January 13, 2021, 09:07:31 pm
topic Em hotep!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
mercymagpie
January 13, 2021, 05:03:13 pm
topic The 42 Purifications
[[PUBLIC] Kemet Today - Rev. Tamara's Blog & Podcast]
Yinepuemsaes
January 13, 2021, 11:44:07 am
topic Em Hotep, everyone!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Nesertem
January 12, 2021, 07:22:57 pm
topic Upcoming virtual lectures in Egyptology!
Rev. Shezatwepwawet
January 09, 2021, 01:38:54 pm
topic Hello Everyone!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Senuwierneheh
January 07, 2021, 09:49:17 am

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3335
  • stats Total Posts: 300141
  • stats Total Topics: 20632
  • stats Total Categories: 8