Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 71
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: I Should Be Dead Right Now  (Read 20224 times)

Offline Yinepuikeret

• Shemsu
Re: I Should Be Dead Right Now
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2010, 08:55:07 pm »
Quote from: Taji
Quote from: NiankhSekhmet
I won't lecture you overmuch, Phoenix. I, too, am very glad you are alive, but I will say this, next time when you are going to do any sort of emenagoguic herbal nudge to your reproductive system, make sure you have a knowlegeable herbalist supervising you.

Agreed.  I'm not directing this at you, Phoenix, but it always amazes me when people say they don't trust Western Medicine or allopathic physicians, but then are willing to ingest whatever the salesperson at GNC tells them to.  Physicians have 4 years of medical school and then at least 3 years of residency.  You don't even have to have any sort of degree to get a job working retail at GNC.

But I also have to say boo on your doc for not telling you specifically how much you should take.  Telling you a vague "take more than it says on the bottle" is just a recipe for disaster.

I'm glad you're okay.  

+1 on all fronts.  Amazing that a doctor didn't give you specific information -- someone who's gone through medical school and residency should know better.  It's a lesson for all of us: anytime someone gives us vague medication information, ask for absolute specifics in clear, written instructions from someone with some education. And herbs == medication.  Scary!  I am so glad you're okay!
STGCS(SW/IUSS) Yinepuikeret ("Yinepu is Excellent")
                Sat Yinepu meryt Re
                          𓃣   𓇳

Offline Phoenix_Falls

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 03:14:40 pm »
Quote from: Ta_Imu_Aset
Quote from: Phoenix_Falls

Also, Sekhmet gave me 'stern talking to' during meditation lol. I feel like I've been grounded.  

Lol, Phoenix, I know the feeling...Aset likes to do this to me in a manner of speaking..."You will get no huggy-happies until you listen to what I'm sayin' girly"

hahaha. It's quite unsettling, to be honest. She wasn't exactly yelling (I think my fragile mortal coil would explode into OMG-confetti had She yelled at me), but I definitely feel like I've been thoroughly chastised. I don't even know what I'm grounded from I just know that I feel grounded lol
[color:red]"Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapooi" [/color]
My tumblr
[color:blue]Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert[/color]
Facebook

Offline Phoenix_Falls

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 03:17:07 pm »
Quote from: Yinepuikeret

+1 on all fronts.  Amazing that a doctor didn't give you specific information -- someone who's gone through medical school and residency should know better.  It's a lesson for all of us: anytime someone gives us vague medication information, ask for absolute specifics in clear, written instructions from someone with some education. And herbs == medication.  Scary!  I am so glad you're okay!

According to the doc, he told me to call him as soon as I bought the cohosh since they come in varying milligram form, but honestly, I never heard him say that. I don't recall zoning out, but then again, if I had been zoned out, I wouldn't recall it. Needless to say, I've definitely learned the value of caution =P
[color:red]"Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapooi" [/color]
My tumblr
[color:blue]Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert[/color]
Facebook

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 10:54:22 pm »
Quote from: Phoenix_Falls

According to the doc, he told me to call him as soon as I bought the cohosh since they come in varying milligram form, but honestly, I never heard him say that. I don't recall zoning out, but then again, if I had been zoned out, I wouldn't recall it.  

This is the thing that makes me absolutely furious! The way that herbs are concentrated now is by no means traditional.  We have pharmaceutical level doses of things so that people can get quicker benefit.  

Certainly when our ancestors were doing herbs they didn't have the concentrations that we have now. Herbs that are available now as pills, tinctures, etc. are often in such concentrated doses, even isolating a specific constituent and sometimes excluding very important other constituents that counteract and balance and help the active constiuent from overloading the body.

So sometimes whether you realise it or not, you are taking something that is 10, 20, 30 times more powerful than just the raw herb itself. To me this is so frustrating because the word "extract" over the coujnter (OTC) is not the same thing as making your own extracts from the herb in its raw form. The prime example was Kava Kava and all the liver toxicity issues a few years aback because some "genius" thought that isolating the kavaltones from everything else was a good idea since it was the "active constituent"!  There are others and I could go on for days about that, but it is a clear example of why commercial, pharamceutical grade herbs should be treated with extreme respect.  All herbs should, honestly.

As for Sekhmet not yelling at you, Phoneix, I think She probably thought you kicked your own arse sufficiently and is confident that you won't be making that mistake again. ;)

Senebty!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 09:44:03 am »
The prime example was Kava Kava and all the liver toxicity issues a few years aback because some "genius" thought that isolating the kavaltones from everything else was a good idea since it was the "active constituent"!  

Senebty!  

Oh, I thought that was due to including aerial parts of the plant, too as opposed to just the root.....?
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 12:51:29 pm »
I'm glad you're OK, Phoenix. I learned my lesson about taking care with herbs a few years ago after drinking a lot of motherwort tea one day.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2010, 07:32:23 pm »
Oh, I thought that was due to including aerial parts of the plant, too as opposed to just the root.....

Not that simple. Yes, the leaves and stems should not have been included with kava  - and that is what slip shod supplement suppliers do, they put alot of chaff and filler in there unless you have strict controls in place.  However, mea culpa I didn't express myself correctly.   The issue was also in the WAY they were extracing it.  You are not meant to isolate one consituent to the expense of all the others. That's ridiculous. A plant has hundreds of active consituents and to isolate one "active" one that is assumed to be the most beneficial one, eliminates all the others that help balance out the body and lessen the toxicity issues. The basis of the problems are potential profitability and quality control.

NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert

Offline ubenetsenu

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2010, 07:40:43 pm »
You are not meant to isolate one consituent to the expense of all the others. That's ridiculous.

in my organic chemistry lab, we extracted the caffeine from instant coffee and tea.  for some reason, they wouldn't let me eat the pure caffeine after i weighed it ;)
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset
𓁴𓁳
tarot and heka by request

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 09:18:46 am »
Maybe they just didn't want you to get so wild and undeniably wired, Sis. ;)
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 10:18:41 am »
Quote from: ubenetsenu

in my organic chemistry lab, we extracted the caffeine from instant coffee and tea.  for some reason, they wouldn't let me eat the pure caffeine after i weighed it ;)

that was perhaps my favorite lab in college.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline ubenetsenu

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 01:19:07 pm »
Maybe they just didn't want you to get so wild and undeniably wired, Sis. ;)

who, me?  but i'm so calm and mellow! :grin:
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset
𓁴𓁳
tarot and heka by request

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2919
  • stats Total Posts: 285261
  • stats Total Topics: 19326
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110