collapse collapse

* Donation Status

0%
Current donation status as of February 22, 2021 = $0.00 of $2,500
Final Donations for the period ending February 21st 2021 = $2,314.76 of $2,500 (93%) $185.24 of Rollover Fund used.
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 66
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Min statue  (Read 10603 times)

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
Re: Min statue
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 04:37:51 pm »
Hi Timu - purely out of curiosity, do you have any handy links to depictions of Min without the double plumes? I'm sure I am totally wrong because this definitely isn't my speciality, but isn't Min the earlier deity? (I am just curious about the possibility that the plumes are actually his and they were later adopted by Amun?)
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 04:50:36 pm »
AFAIK (even tho I wasn't asked) Min was a predynastic deity. Kemp has pictures of a Min statue from Coptos that was pre-dynastic in nature, and was of a different style than what we're used to. I can always take a look at this statue when I get home, and report back on Monday.

As for Amun, he was a lesser god, if memory serves. He only took over during the MK (I think) when a family from Thebes reclaimed the throne, and happened to worship Amun. Because of the pharaoh, Amun went from a nobody to the supreme deity. However, I'm not really sure how it works with his taking over of other deities, and whether one or the other sported the plumes first.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 04:52:55 pm »
What she said^

I'll have to look too, know I've seen it but will have to re-find it.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 05:03:44 pm »
I've found pics of the Coptos statues... they are very fragmentary and the style is quite different as Devo says. Any others that you know off hand? Perhaps from old kingdom or which might otherwise predate the rise of Amun? I really am just curious. I'll have a look around myself too, but sometimes people with more of a vested interest have a better idea of where to locate references.
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 05:05:30 pm »
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 05:16:32 pm »
Sedjemes-
Yes, I believe that was it. In my book, it's an illustration, but it looks correct.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 09:52:43 pm »
I have been looking for a decent statue of Him for ages.  (When you see my RPS sig, you'll understand why.)  The statue that Egyptian Marketplace carries, IIRC is actually a Nubian (Kushite?) Deity.  (Obviously influenced/connected to Min.) In any case, I personally do not care for it and I've gotten the general impression that He does not either.

I've found a couple other statues of Him, but they each have their own problems. (One had SUCH a dopey expression on His face!)

My personal suggestion is to refer to one of His common epithets & obtain a statue of a white bull.  MUCH easier to find one of those and it was actually used to depict Him in the New Kingdom.

"
Min, Bull of the Great Phallus....

You are the Great Male, the owner of all females.
The Bull who is unites with those of the sweet love, of beautiful face and of painted eyes,
Victorious sovereign among the Gods who inspires fear in the Ennead....

The goddesses are glad, seeing your perfection.

I laugh every time I read that hymn and them consider that He is in MY RPD.  :)
--[color:#6600CC]Khusisokar[/color] ('Sokar Stirs')
Son of [color:#6600CC] Sokar-Wesir [/color] and [color:red]Hekatawy I[/color] (AUS!)
Beloved of[color:#3333FF] Nefertem,[/color][color:#009900] Min,[/color] and[color:#663300] Wepwawet-Yinepu[/color]

*Fedw diviner for [color:#6600CC] Sokar[/color]*

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 12:40:18 am »
Quote from: Devo
AFAIK (even tho I wasn't asked) Min was a predynastic deity. Kemp has pictures of a Min statue from Coptos that was pre-dynastic in nature, and was of a different style than what we're used to. I can always take a look at this statue when I get home, and report back on Monday.

As for Amun, he was a lesser god, if memory serves. He only took over during the MK (I think) when a family from Thebes reclaimed the throne, and happened to worship Amun. Because of the pharaoh, Amun went from a nobody to the supreme deity. However, I'm not really sure how it works with his taking over of other deities, and whether one or the other sported the plumes first.

-Devo

And once again, I must embarrass myself to say that I totally forgot about Min's Ombos connections... *sigh*

Thank you, Devo.

As for Amun - I am not sure.  I do know that He and Set were closely connected.
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 02:48:17 pm »
Em-Hotep-Rh'ekh,

From Devo:

Amun was for a while a 'lesser' Netjer than most; let's say lesser than Usir, but not lesser than Banebdjedet... It was during the end of the Middle Kingdom, when power shifted towards the South, back to Thinis, not Thebes, when Amun became a more substantial Netjer.  When the Capital finally moved to Thebes/Karnak from Thinis after the Intermediate Period, Amun was merged with Amun-Ra to become the most potent Netjer of Kemet. Min (an aspect of Amun: being the seed which feel from him to create the Benben and the first Netjer) was highly worshiped in Karnak where the White Chapel (Amun-Ra's temple) is located. Because of this, Min resembles Amun-Ra.

Hope this helps clear things up with him. :)
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3348
  • stats Total Posts: 300633
  • stats Total Topics: 20679
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119