collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Search/Ra/Ram  (Read 7955 times)

Search/Ra/Ram
« on: October 11, 2010, 08:13:15 am »
I tried to search Ra and nothing came up, which I am totally SURE there is plenty about Ra, so there must be something up with the search function....

Anyways, I'm curious about the different forms of Ra, I know that "Ra-Khepri" or "Ra-Horakhty" is the rising sun, "just Ra"(?) at noon, and *I think* it's "Ra-Atum/Atum-Ra" or Ra-Khnum(?) in the evening/setting sun. And I think I remember reading something about a "midnight sun" aspect but I can't really recall much else about it.

Anybody know more about this?

Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Tanebet

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Sebau (Education Director), Semer-Wati
  • Administrator
Re: Search/Ra/Ram
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:42:01 am »
the first God coming to my mind when thinking of the midnight sun would be Sokar or Sokar-Wesir

I think it was in the Amduat where Ra merged with Wesir
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:46:51 am by Tanebet »
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:20:29 am »
Another Ra-sync to throw into the mix is one of my beloveds, Amun-Ra. ^_^ I'm not sure about the technical stuff beyond my own UPG. Sorry for not being much help!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Satsenu »
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:58:43 am »
Wepwawet-Ra, gogo!
Isha (they) | Selene (she)
Meset Wepwawet, Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Reiki Student • Sau Apprentice
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓏣𓋌𓇼

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 11:03:22 am »
There's also Sobek-Ra.  
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut her Bast-Mut

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 04:03:23 pm »
I did think of Sokar, and even Wesir, but I've never heard of a Ra-Wesir before so I thought that might have been a dead end...?
Timu

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 04:30:40 pm »
Quote from: Ta_Imu_Aset
I did think of Sokar, and even Wesir, but I've never heard of a Ra-Wesir before so I thought that might have been a dead end...?

That's a horrible pun... :)
Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me
Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 04:36:02 pm »
Haa! Oh snap I didn't even notice that...nice...
Timu

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 05:37:49 pm »
Quote from: Padjaiemweru

That's a horrible pun... :)

Oi..... that IS a horrible pun....
Senebty,

Qaitsenu

I will be remembered by those whose lives I've most affected, and least realized it.

W'abet Djehuty her Bast | Herisesheta Bast
Sau Apprentice | Fedw Diviner | The Original Kitbis

http://deskofthescribe.blogspot.com

Offline Menekh

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 09:18:58 pm »
Em Hotep Timu.

There is a "Litany of Re" which lists the 75 forms of Ra. You can find it in Alexandre Piankoff's translation which is, unfortunately, out of print.  Any good university library should have it if you have access or can get it through interlibrary loan. It's definitely worth a look :)

Menekh
"One does not beg the sun for mercy."
- Frank Herbert

Offline Rev. Raheri

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 10:22:51 pm »

Actually both Wesir and Ra are different sides of the same coin, and not all that different. Wesir is Ra resurrected in the Duat. He is the sun in the night. "I am Ra in the day." Not quite that dead of an end, but an entirely new beginning.

A little something He told me once.
Son of Wesir-Sokar | Heri-sesheta
Awakening in Amenti | revmatt@kemet.org

"O my Mother Nut, stretch Yourself over me,
hat I may be placed among the imperishable stars which are in You, and that I may never die."

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 01:32:51 am »
In Essence, all Netjer are some form or embodiment of Ra; seeing as Ra is an essence of Atum, the first Creator... without Ra, none of us would exist; nor would this planet exist in the form it does. Dwah-mery-Ra. :)
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Shuwyt

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 06:32:34 am »
Quote from: Tanebet
the first God coming to my mind when thinking of the midnight sun would be Sokar or Sokar-Wesir

I'm almost certain Hemet said more-or-less that exact thing to me once - I don't remember the exact conversation now or if I have it logged somewhere, but I think it came out of me finding Ra as a Beloved to be odd given what a 'sun' person I am not - her 'try looking at it from this perspective and see if it helps' point was that Sokar-Wesir was Ra, Ra during His journey through the Duat (and, presumably, that Ra was therefore just Sokar-Wesir on the other side). And then my brain got all breaky. ^.^
Shuwytyinepu (Yinepu's Shadow)
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet, meryt Sokar-Wesir her Ra
Curiosity killed the - ooh! What's that?

Offline Munefmontu

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 08:46:43 pm »
There is also Montu-Ra

on another note...there is also Amun-Montu.  Amun takes over Montu in later periods...which leads me to believe that Amun-Ra could simultaneously be Amun-Ra and Amun-Montu-Ra... I think I made that confusing enough LOL
Sat Montu
Meryt Amun-Ra her Sekhmet her Khnum

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon

Offline Huyitu

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 10:09:11 pm »
Quote from: Shuwyt
Quote from: Tanebet

I'm almost certain Hemet said more-or-less that exact thing to me once - I don't remember the exact conversation now or if I have it logged somewhere, but I think it came out of me finding Ra as a Beloved to be odd given what a 'sun' person I am not - her 'try looking at it from this perspective and see if it helps' point was that Sokar-Wesir was Ra, Ra during His journey through the Duat (and, presumably, that Ra was therefore just Sokar-Wesir on the other side). And then my brain got all breaky. ^.^

Trying having both as fathers, sometimes when I'm thinking about their interactions I can feeling my brain fry in my skull.

It really is an interesting subject, hopefully when I have some more time at home (I'm out for the week) I can contribute with some of the texts I have. I got the litany of Ra and some other neat things.

One thing I can add though is that Ra in the under world is often called Auf or Efu-Ra meaning corpse-Ra/Sun.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 10:15:54 pm by Huyitu »
Son of Wesir and Ra, Beloved of Wepwawet-Yinepu

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3312
  • stats Total Posts: 299385
  • stats Total Topics: 20544
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything