Register
collapse collapse

* Donation Status

0%
Current donation status as of February 22, 2021 = $0.00 of $2,500
Final Donations for the period ending February 21st 2021 = $2,314.76 of $2,500 (93%) $185.24 of Rollover Fund used.
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 66
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Ginkgo and Wesir  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Huyitu

• Shemsu
Ginkgo and Wesir
« on: October 12, 2010, 10:36:17 pm »
In general I find that those things that are sacred are set apart in a way. Things that are odd in some fashion tend towards being sacred or at least favored offerings to the gods. I’ve been thinking about a certain tree species lately and to me, I definitely get the sacred feeling from it, specifically from Wesir.  

Ginkgo biloba

It seems to fit the bill in everyway. Its odd in that it’s the last of its kind, a living fossil. It has odd looking fan like leaves, bears edible fruit (that can kill you if you eat enough due to a toxin), has a long life span of over a thousand years, and is huge and can easily graft to other ginko trees to make even bigger specimens, and is nearly impossible to kill (which is why it’s a popular cityscape tree).  It’s a beautiful tree that comes in hundreds of different cultivars and can live in or a adapt to a lot of environments.

More importantly it just feels like as a species it is important to Wesir. I have this vision of a huge grove of trees growing into each other with a clearing in the middle with an altar and shrine to Wesir with one huge grafted tree in the background.

I just wanted to ask if anybody else feels like there is a deep connection between Wesir and Ginkgos, because I keep getting a strong feeling from him that these trees are important to him.
Son of Wesir and Ra, Beloved of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
Re: Ginkgo and Wesir
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 06:32:58 pm »

I hadn't considered it before, but I could certainly see this being true. (And the fan-shaped leaves make me think of fans, which make me think of breath and thus of life, so that could be another connection.) Thanks for giving me something to ponder! ^_^

Senebty,

Shefyt

Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Blissi

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 07:17:11 pm »
Trees in stories/ mythology I have read do have an important place to play in A.E( and i use the word stories because i cant think of another word for it )
Such as Het hert and the sycamore tree, but I have not yet seen anyother information on other netjer being connected to trees in such a way.If the ginkgo tree is called a "living fossil" doesnt that mean its the living dead? abit like Wesir?
But it doesnt mean they arent of course :D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:06:12 am by Blissi »

Offline Metitaitui

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 07:32:15 pm »
I can definitely see the connection but then trees in general make me think of Wesir. :)
sat Set her Djehuty meryt Ra, Heru-wer, her Hethert

Offline Blissi

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 10:19:09 am »
I just read this :

"In the Nineteenth Dynasty Thoth was shown recording the name of a Pharaoh on the sacred sycamore. He must have been, therefore, at one time a tree spirit, like Osiris. Tree spirits, as well as corn spirits, were manifestations of the moon god"

I have to say I just got a little bit over excited and needed to let you know this link right away, so I will let you read the rest ( I have literally only started reading it )

You can read the  book called : Egyptian myth and Legend here on pdf
http://www.witchschool.ws/library/pdf/egyeml.pdf

You may find more on what you are looking for :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:21:40 am by Blissi »

Offline Sekhmetbitu

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 02:34:29 am »
Ginkoes can also switch sex, surprising the owners of formerly male trees with smelly gross fruit. A local city had to cut down a bunch of their decorative street trees for this very reason. It seems this happens when one grafts a male tree to a female stump, so when I think of the fact that one version of the story has Wesir given a phallus after the old part was eaten by fish seems fitting with the ginko idea in a wierd way.

I've also noticed a theme of trees that have seperate male and female trees being sacred. Date palms are sacred in several ANE religions, that they reproduce like us was not lost on ancient people:

http://penn.museum/sites/datesex/datesex.html

Perhaps the bridge between plant and human fertility is present in the ginko too? That sounds pretty Wesir to me.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 03:39:37 am by Sekhmetbitu »
Sekhmetbitu "Sekhmet's (Good) Charachter"

[color:#CC0000]Sat Sekhmet[/color]
[color:#990099]Meryt Mut & Khenty-Amentiu[/color]

Offline Huyitu

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 01:21:09 am »
Quote from: Shefytbast

I hadn't considered it before, but I could certainly see this being true. (And the fan-shaped leaves make me think of fans, which make me think of breath and thus of life, so that could be another connection.) Thanks for giving me something to ponder! ^_^

Shefyt

Thats a great connection I hadn't thought of but makes total sense!

Quote from: Sekhmetbitu
Ginkoes can also switch sex, surprising the owners of formerly male trees with smelly gross fruit. A local city had to cut down a bunch of their decorative street trees for this very reason. It seems this happens when one grafts a male tree to a female stump, so when I think of the fact that one version of the story has Wesir given a phallus after the old part was eaten by fish seems fitting with the ginko idea in a wierd way.

I've also noticed a theme of trees that have seperate male and female trees being sacred. Date palms are sacred in several ANE religions, that they reproduce like us was not lost on ancient people:

http://penn.museum/sites/datesex/datesex.html

Perhaps the bridge between plant and human fertility is present in the ginko too? That sounds pretty Wesir to me.

That's also really interesting! I like the connection to mythology. That bridge is there, ginko does have separate male and female. The sex change thing was new to me though, I did research and your right it only occurs when a male top is grafted on a female root system, I bet the part of the plant that controls fruiting expression is in the roots and why that happens (though I could be wrong).

This is what I love about this place, so many good thoughts. :D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 01:21:51 am by Huyitu »
Son of Wesir and Ra, Beloved of Wepwawet-Yinepu

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3348
  • stats Total Posts: 300633
  • stats Total Topics: 20679
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything