collapse collapse

* Donation Status

19%
Current donation status as of February 28, 2021 = $463.18 of $2,500
19%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Knowing the gods through thier children  (Read 12443 times)

Offline Rev. Raheri

• W'ab (priest)
Knowing the gods through thier children
« on: October 13, 2010, 03:32:44 pm »
Em hotep brothers and sisters,

I wanted to start this thread for a while now, but just never seemed ot have the time to get it started. The main topic I want to focus on is how I know the gods; but not just how I perceive them, but how I know them through their children. There are some gods that I have no relationship with, but I do with their children.

For example:

#1) I know Sokar, not through personal relationship with him, but because I know Khusi. His personality reminds me of Sokar. His sense of humor, smile, and lovable self allows me to see the old bird that way as well. When I think of Sokar, I think of Khusi

#2) I know Bes through his daughter Tek. I have never dealt with Bes on much of a personal level, but I see him as strong, filled with life and joy, and ready to protect those he cares about.

#3) I know Yinepu through his daughter Waret. Quiet, protective, loving, and watchful.

I see these gods through their children. It helps me to get to know the gods, and allows me to get to know my brothers and sisters.

What are your experiences with this? Do you see the gods through their children? If so, what do you see? I am excited to learn and share this.

Senebty,

Raheri
Son of Wesir-Sokar | Heri-sesheta
Awakening in Amenti | revmatt@kemet.org

"O my Mother Nut, stretch Yourself over me,
that I may be placed among the imperishable stars which are in You, and that I may never die."

Offline Taahahermafdet

• Shemsu
Re: Knowing the gods through thier children
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 04:28:26 pm »
I are curious cheetah, I can't wait to see responses to this!

For myself, I've gotten to know Aset through chatting with some of Her children, albeit online, but, through Her children She has come off to me as having a wicked sense of humour, protective, on point, and while Aset Herself can be firm and unrelenting at times, Her children have made it tonnes easier for me to approach Her.

I think when people think of this daughter of Mafdet they see a laughing cheetah *snicker*. :P

Ást,
Ta'aha
Oh Serpent! I am the flame which shineth upon the Opener of hundreds of thousands of years, and the standard of the god Tenpu, the standard of young plants and flowers. Depart ye from me, for I am the divine Mafdet.

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 04:35:05 pm »
I second what you said about Bes and Tek, Raheri. We need a lot more Bes kids in the world if Tek's big and generous personality is any show of what they'd be like.

Wesir is still a mystery to me, but I like to think I have some understanding of Him through you, Raheri. I've definitely gotten a lot more OK with the idea of Set thanks to many of His kids. Nakht (who will hopefully not be MIA one day) is especially responsible for this.

Without sounding egotistical, I also hope that I stand as a good example of my Father to others.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 05:36:11 pm »
Quote from: Shezatwepwawet

Without sounding egotistical, I also hope that I stand as a good example of my Father to others.

You are.  :-)
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut her Bast-Mut

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 07:02:21 pm »
It seems like every time I approach a god in senut or informally, one of the first things out of my mouth is to thank Them for Their children.

It is because of Their children that I feel comfortable in approaching gods that are not in my RPD lineup.  Like Wesir, for example. ;)  I have no direct reason to approach Him, and the thought of just out and out going "o hai!" gives me the quivers. But now, knowing you, I feel comfortable approaching Wesir because I can say, "Hail Lord Wesir. Thank You for Your son Raheri. He is wonderful and I appreciate having him in my life. Thank You."  And that opens up a dialog.

Because, let's face it, without you as the conversation starter, what would I have to say to Wesir?  "Uhm, I'm sorry my Dad killed you. Maybe. Would you like a Rollo?" ;)

If it weren't for Their children, I wouldn't have relationships with near any of the gods that I do, and that would be a crying shame.  Yinepu/Wepwawet, Bast/Bast-Mut, Bes, Aset, Heqat, Ra, Nebt-Het, Seshat, wow.

I feel really blessed, not because of the gods in my life, but because of Their children in my life. :)

(All together, now:  "D'awwwwww!!")
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Taqaisenu »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 09:08:50 pm »
Quote from: Taqaisenu
Because, let's face it, without you as the conversation starter, what would I have to say to Wesir?  "Uhm, I'm sorry my Dad killed you. Maybe. Would you like a Rollo?" ;)

Ha ha!  Yes!

Anyway, with regard to the original post, I think that I often associate the character of a God with His or Her children's character (case in points including Yinepu and Djehuty), but I don't necessarily need that in order to talk to Them either.  Any Gods I talk to outside of my personal lineup are contextual, so if I talk to them I usually have a reason, maybe a festival or a particular need of mine that I associate with someone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Setkheni_itw »
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 09:42:42 pm »
Hotep Raheri!  *henu*

I would agree we can become better acquainted with a name by getting to know Their children.  I think we all represent or display various traits of our Parent(s), be it their strength, courage, love, quiet leadership, humor, etc.  ^_^  It's something I think about often.  What kind of representative of my Mothers am I?  Do I pass along what They want me to pass along or are the messages I'm sending out (obvious and subtle) when dealing with people not what They'd prefer?

The important messages They want delivered?  "You best be handing over that Coke and those Cheetos (Nebt-het) and those almonds and limes (Serqet) if you know what's good for you, or I'll stab you with this poisoned stiletto!"  ^_^

Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Priest of Nebt-het and Serqet
Beloved of Ptah and Tasenetnofret
revdwinterfeldt@kemet.org

Offline Rev. Raheri

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 11:00:01 am »
But now, knowing you, I feel comfortable approaching Wesir because I can say, "Hail Lord Wesir. Thank You for Your son Raheri. He is wonderful and I appreciate having him in my life. Thank You."

You made my posting icon blush.

LOL! Yes Taqai I think Dad would love a rollo. I mean it has a caramel in it. The dead love caramel. I feel the same way when it comes to Set. How do you get to know someone who killed your father? Luckily I have Awi, Meti, and you to see that Set isn't as bad as they make him, and have learned alot of things about Set that I thought I never would. We have a mutual understanding now.

Quote from: Imyutimuti
You best be handing over that Coke and those Cheetos (Nebt-het) and those almonds and limes (Serqet) if you know what's good for you, or I'll stab you with this poisoned stiletto!" ^_^

Poisoned stilettos are awesome! An essential item for a female assassin elf with perfect hair!

Overall, I too feel very blessed because there are gods I would never know or interact with if I have not met there children. It is truly awesome how the gods have us understand who they are.

Senebty,

Raheri
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Raheri »
Son of Wesir-Sokar | Heri-sesheta
Awakening in Amenti | revmatt@kemet.org

"O my Mother Nut, stretch Yourself over me,
that I may be placed among the imperishable stars which are in You, and that I may never die."

Offline Nuwimatwy

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 11:39:32 am »
Em hotep,

I've gotten the chance to catch up on the boards and this thread got me thinking about my Mothers.  Perhaps a touch of my tendency to quietness and observation I owe to Them...or maybe more so to Mut.  I'm just not inclined to talk loudly or yell unless there is a very urgent good reason to. This thread has me pondering. Thanks. :)

senebty,
Nuwi
Sat Mut her Sekhmet meryt Bast
My two lionesses take care of me.

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 11:52:11 am »
This is a cool thread.  I have to agree what people have said here.  Without His child, I don't think I would have ever approached Bes.  And I always like hearing about god with Whom I am unfamiliar from Their children.  I always seem to learn something.

Also, I have to say that I am always learning more about my own Mother through my siblings.  Like apparently She likes long car trips.  I had no idea.  :D

Senebty,

Taji
Tasedjebbastmut,
The One Whom Bast-Mut Restores to Life
Daughter of Bast-Mut | Beloved of Yinepu-Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Hethert

Offline Sekhmetnenek

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 11:57:13 am »
Quote from: Taji

Also, I have to say that I am always learning more about my own Mother through my siblings.

I feel the same way. Daryt, for instance, has been instrumental in how I view Sekhmet-Hethert, and so has Peri. They have deepened and help shape my perceptions of Mom.
Sekhmetnenek|Sekhmet Belongs to Me|
Sa Sekhmet-Hethert,
Mery Nebthet-Nit-Seshat

Offline Iwaat

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 12:12:57 pm »
Quote from: Taji
Also, I have to say that I am always learning more about my own Mother through my siblings

same here :). i have gotten to know Bast-Mut/Bast in a little more through interaction with Siblings.

I have also gotten to know Yinepu through his daughter Zef.i mean knowing her has made me feel a bit more comfortable in interacting with him and now he doesnt seem as frightening as he used to :D.

~Iwa'at Bast-Mut~
Bast-Mut's Heritage
Sat Bast-mut
Meryt Nebthet-Nit-Seshat her Hethert-Sekhmet
*Sau apprentice*

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 01:43:00 pm »
Em Hotep,

If at some point and time I have a brother or sister to share things with, I might be able to do the "sibling comparison" part of this thread.

As it stands now, knowing most of you helps me to understand the Names further, if not through action, but through thoughts and words. It also helps me understand those with dual parentage better.

Meeting folks in person is better than meeting them online, mind you. The energy people give off is just as important to me as they words they write. That being said, having met the few people I have in a physical capacity, their energy helps me to understand them better as people, then understand the Names that they are children of. I still nearly cry with remembering thoughts of the folks I got to meet at the Hethert Week-end.

All you Hethert Kids are amazing beyond comparison, with the sizes of your hearts and the ability to make guests feel more at home than as guests. This thought alone was a seriously needed thing for me, and it came just at the right time in my life.

I've also found the with Names that are aspected (Hethert- Sekhmet, Yinepu-Wepwawet), getting to know children that are of one side of that coin helps me to understand children that are the opposite side of the coin.

Having this understanding helps guide me into my interactions and words with these people. A sort of adaptation to the situation.

~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 03:09:32 pm »
I'm always learning new things about Wesir through my brothers and sisters. Also it was Khusi who introduced me to Sokar and Ptah-Sokar-Wesir long before my RPD. :)
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Zef

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 04:07:14 pm »
Quote from: Iwaat

I have also gotten to know Yinepu through his daughter Zef.i mean knowing her has made me feel a bit more comfortable in interacting with him and now he doesnt seem as frightening as he used to :D.

D'aaaw, I'm glad you're getting along better with him. :D

As for my stuff, Peri has helped me become less afraid of Sekhmet, and Iwa'at makes me want to get to know Bast-mut, though I've yet to do that. Bad Zef, bad.
Yinepudjesef
Sa Yinepu-Wepwawet, mery Set, Sokar, her Sobek.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3353
  • stats Total Posts: 300744
  • stats Total Topics: 20689
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything