collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 73
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Trying to understand Ma'at as a goddess  (Read 5494 times)

Offline Blissi

• Remetj
Trying to understand Ma'at as a goddess
« on: October 20, 2010, 04:52:18 pm »
Hi,

For a while now I have been trying to understand Ma'at clearer in my own head.
In my personal experience, Ma'at has been with me for over 4-5 maybe more years atleast - including when I didnt really believe in goddesses as I do now.
My experiences of her are like this:

Being a guiding voice - reassurances in difficult times
Healer - she has helped me when i have been at wits end, and healed negative thoughts, but i do get the impression she leaves this now to Bast
Dreams: she has healed me in a dream before- and shown me signs of hope and joy.
Bast showed me Ma'at in dream but in myself: where  I felt Just right, strength, justice and perfection, everything is as it should be  - balanced.
Ma'at is a fan of bright feathers, and hearts.
showed herself as a bird in a visualisation, I associate her with the wind, and the breath of life.

What I struggle with is, how do I connect to her closer to understand her personality ?
When I look at information on her its always very short and doesnt tell me alot, I was wondering if people have any information they can give me, wether it be educational or in personal experience, and yes I am aware of the 42 negative confessions and trying to live a life in the way of maat.
If for example when I think of Bast, I feel I know her instantly, plus shes alot louder and demanding in attention.
But when I think of Ma'at shes more of a mystery, shes everything, but its hard to imagine everything!
Is she subtle with others too?

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Trying to understand Ma'at as a goddess
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 06:49:00 pm »
She's subtle with me, oh yes. My Senut shrine (and thus every Senut) is dedicated to Her. She's never spoken to me, she's just a presence. I know she's there. She's never got involved in my life, but I know she hears the prayers, is refreshed by the rite.
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, her Hethert-Amenti
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓁥𓇼

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 07:28:11 pm »
Ma'at is very gentle and quiet... perferring to watch on rather than to converse. She's willing to offer guidance in a passing manner and appreciates heartfelt gifts/offerings. The only real 'close' contact I've had to Her was during my   first senut . I've felt Her more looking upon me and smiling rather than speaking to me anymore. I hope this kind of helps... She is very much a sweet goddess.
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 08:18:13 pm »
Em-Hotep-Blissi,

Ma'at is a very interesting Netjer, in the aspect that she is truly in everything; She has been there since the very instant that Creation began. Though, Ma'at is very illusive in my opinion, even though she is in everything.  As far as facts about Ma'at go, she is a concept more than she is an actual Netjer (So say the History Books). As far as we know, there did not exist a temple dedicated solely to her, though she was depicted alongside other Netjer in their temples; like in Ipet-Isut or in Nubt.  
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:54:24 pm »
Hotep Blissi

When I came to the House, I actually thought Ma'at had brought me here (I think one maybe two other people said the same thing).  But after that, I never have felt Ma'at, except when I am sorting out the consequences of actions, or seeking the just solution to an issue.

Like all our gods, I think Ma'at is probably easier to understand, and yet more complicated to understand.

But--as with all our gods---ask to understand Her better, and either She, or another god, will help with that :)

I think of Her mostly when dealing with consequences that have to do with a just solution. Like if I have to make a choice, or help someone else make a decision between choices. Like the priests of Ma'at that may have acted as judges. Sometimes just by asking Her help with such a thing, I feel like I come close to understanding Her best, if that makes sense.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 05:01:10 am »
I often feel Ma'at as a subtle, winged female presence standing behind me when I'm doing Senut. (I dedicated my Shrine to Netjer and to upholding the principle of Ma'at). She seems very neutral - neither approving nor disapproving, just there. Perhaps that's how I know it's Her, because She doesn't make Her presence felt as insistently as some of the other Names I have had contact with :).
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

Offline Menekh

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 05:59:30 am »
Em Hotep!

Personally, I think it is hard to know Ma'at's presence because it can be hard to distinguish between ma'at the concept of truth, balance, justice, rightness, etc., and Ma'at the goddess.  While She can be both and each separately at the same time in our polyvalent thinking, focusing on her as a goddess outside of the concept She represents can be a window into knowing Her better - sort of working to understand Her in a part-to-whole fashion.  That is sort of backward in a way as we tend to come to ma'at the concept first in our faith.  Ma'at, to me, is beautiful, glowing, loving, and a very very great teacher concerning the concept She represents. I might also suggest getting to know Djehuty and asking Him for on outside perspective , or in getting to know Her better.  Sometimes an outside eye and ear can be helpful.  She is noted as one of His consorts (along with Seshat).

Menekh
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Menekh »
"One does not beg the sun for mercy."
- Frank Herbert

Offline Blissi

• Remetj
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 09:11:12 am »
Interesting thoughts and experiences. I am going to try and see if I can learn abit more about her through other netjer or herself.

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 11:18:53 am »
Em hotep, Blissi, et al...

I met Ma'at in Dream once.  Several of the Netjeru were in this dream, and many of them revealed hidden truths to me about myself, talking with me as I came to terms with those truths.  I was continually directed onward, though, till finally I came to a deep cave, such as primitive man might have lived in.  

There, I was presented to a golden feathered woman by Bast, we all sat around the fire and talked for a bit about the things I had learned.  After a time, She sent me on my way and I ended up at an awards ceremony, where all the Netjeru were sitting in the audience and I was on the stage.  Ma'at, who turned out to be the golden-feathered woman, was sitting in the front row with Bast and Sekhmet, and all three were smiling at me.

The feeling I get when I think back on this Dream is that I was vetted, Judged, and found worthy to be Shemsu in this life.

That has been my only direct interaction with Ma'at, though I honor Her daily, and do my best to follow the path of ma'at in my life.

As far as getting to know Her better...I think She is so integral to everything, and so vast, that all we will ever know are bits and pieces.  Ma'at is universal order, though, so I would think the study of natural law, in addition to the laws of man, would be one way to know Her better.  

Best wishes.

Tahai
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Blissi

• Remetj
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 11:42:51 am »
wow. what an inspiring dream.
I think people are right, shes simple yet complex. Being in everything makes her harder to understand, as you see only small fragments at a time.
But this topics helped me build my mental picutre and thoughts of her.

Offline Blissi

• Remetj
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 04:56:55 pm »
I found an interesting website, with explanations of egyptian gods, and when two gods merge to form a newer god.
but here is Ma'ats, if any one wishes to look.
 http://www.forgottenagesresearch.com/metamorphosis-of-the-godsegypt-series/Maat.htm

Its really quite interesting, and I'm gonna look up the other entries!

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 05:03:07 pm »
Em hotep :)

Some of the concepts expressed there may not be strictly Kemetic but that's ok :)

In case readers here don't know, the House also has a GLossary of deities which can be found here at http://www.kemet.org/glossary/

Also, Hart's Dictionary of GOds and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt can be read in its entirety online here at http://obinfonet.ro/docs/relig/egipt/egyptgods.pdf. Lots of good information also contained therein :)
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Blissi

• Remetj
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 03:08:02 pm »
I realised they are not strictly kemetic, but its always intruiging to see other peoples perspectives.
I use the glossary all the time though, and the dictionary when i remember its there.

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 03:32:37 pm »
Em-Hotep-Sedjemes,

Thank you for the link to this book; it was very interesting. I love the way it explained Amun and some of the other Netjer; though, I personally do not agree with all of the authors ideas. This will be another good springboard to jump off in my reaserch ;)

Again, thank you Sedjemes.
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 08:42:38 pm »
 Here  is a little bit more info on Her as a goddess.
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2932
  • stats Total Posts: 285904
  • stats Total Topics: 19382
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything