collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 43
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Gods in the line-up  (Read 50786 times)

Offline Naisenu

Re: Gods in the line-up
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 10:30:45 am »
Yes, Nai does keep a DB of Shemsu and their RPDs. But I don't share the DB.

Now, as for rare Names in lineups :)
Amunet - 1 child, 2 beloveds
Bes - 1 child, 3 beloveds
Geb - 0 children, 2 beloveds
Heka - 1 child, 1 beloved
Heqat - 1 child, 1 beloved
Heruakhety - 1 child, 1 beloved
Heru-Behdety - 0 children, 1 beloved
Hethert-Mut - 2 children, 0 beloveds
Khepera - 1 child, 3 beloveds
Khnum - 0 children, 4 beloveds
Mafdet - 1 child, 1 beloved
Min - 0 children, 1 beloved
Montu - 2 children, 1 beloved
Mut - 1 child, (but) 11 beloveds
Nefertem - 2 children, (but) 5 beloveds
Ptah-Sokar - 1 child, 2 beloveds
Ptah-Sokar-Wesir - 1 child, 2 beloveds
Renenutet - 0 children, 2 beloveds
Shu - 0 children, (but) 8 beloveds
Sobek - 3 children, 4 beloveds
Sobek-Ra - 1 child, 0 beloveds
Sokar - 1 child, 3 beloveds
Sokar-Wesir - 2 children, (but) 6 beloveds
Taweret - 2 children, 3 beloveds
Tefnut - 1 child, 3 beloveds
Wadjet - 0 children, 1 beloved

Offline Sekhmetnenek

• Shemsu
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 10:35:00 am »
Nai, I believe Tahai is Beloved of Sobek-Ra :)
Sekhmetnenek|Sekhmet Belongs to Me|
Sa Sekhmet-Hethert,
Mery Nebthet-Nit-Seshat

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 10:36:51 am »
Hmm... I see no Wesir-Sokar on that fantastic list? Might I ask how many children and beloveds He has?
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Senneferet

• Beginner
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 11:22:58 am »
This might be a question for another thread but how does the arrangement of names result in different divinities [I could have worded that better but I have ME brain fog right now :)] e.g. how does Sokar-Wesir differ from Wesir-Sokar?

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 11:33:40 am »
AFAIK, depending on the order can change what emphasis each half plays on the whole. Hathor-Sekhmet will probably focus more on the Hathorian qualities, where as Sekhmet-Hathor will focus more on Sekhmet qualities. The same goes for any other blend of deity.

If that makes sense lol.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Sekhmetnenek

• Shemsu
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 11:34:18 am »
In the Kemetic Orthodoxy, we have the concepts of Syncretized Names and Aspected Names. As my Sister Tepta put it, Syncretized Names (such as Bast-Mut) are like a cake- a cake is made of both flour and eggs but it is now a distinct item. Bast-Mut is made up of Bast and Mut, and is now Her own God.

Aspected Names are Gods who are linked together in a different way. Aspected Names are like a coin. Sekhmet is Tails, Hethert is heads. Two sides, same coin. The Name that is first is the side of the coin which presents Itself to you. I am a son of Sekhmet-Hethert and in my experience Sekhmet is Who is always there for me. I have no experience with Hethert outside of Sekhmet.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:36:48 am by Sekhmetnenek »
Sa Sekhmet-Hethert,
Mery Nebthet-Nit-Seshat

Offline Senneferet

• Beginner
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 02:12:11 pm »
I love the cake analogy. That's made it much clearer. Thank you everyone

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 03:26:22 pm »
There are other ways of describing aspected and syncretized names too. :) Which may or may not make more sense in your head or fit better to your experiences. For instance, for myself, thinking of Wepwawet and Anubis as two sides of the same aspected coin just doesn't work. Are the two gods related? Yeah, sure they are, because they share a lot of the same qualities or ingrediants, but are combined in a different way and are individual. And my own personal experience of syncretized names is that the latter deity is a modifier for the leading deity, a way of conveying extra meaning about them or giving them a specific 'flavour.' So, in my line-up, Hathor-Nut IS Hathor, but focusing more on her Nut-like qualities and associations. I don't think she is her own "new" god, she is just a bit more specific.

Oh, but back to your original query, Hathor-Nut is probably a pretty rare variation? :D I also have Wepwawet-Re, although he decided to not appear specifically in that form in my RPD. (He's there, but he's also there in his 'normal' unmodified form too.)
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Sekhmetnenek

• Shemsu
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 03:30:44 pm »
Quote from: Bezenwepwy
And my own personal experience of syncretized names is that the latter deity is a modifier for the leading deity, a way of conveying extra meaning about them or giving them a specific 'flavour.' So, in my line-up, Hathor-Nut IS Hathor, but focusing more on her Nut-like qualities and associations. I don't think she is her own "new" god, she is just a bit more specific.

There are many people who feel this way about the -Mut syncretized Names. Some people feel the -Mut modifies the original Name to be "X as Queen." Others feel that they are an entirely unique combination. A lot of this is dictated by experience as we say.

Also, in regard to your feelings on aspected Names, I must say I personally feel similarly. I have not experienced Hethert at all (often, I say there is no Hethert in my Sekhmet) and in this regard feel She is an entirely separate Goddess. But mythologically and theologically, they are the same coin- Sekhmet is Hethert performing the task Ra gave Her. Granted, from my understanding, They are unique in this as They present a much more explicit mythological connection than other aspected Names tend to. However, I believe the general consensus here is that aspected Names are viewed as different forms of the same Deity.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 03:36:17 pm by Sekhmetnenek »
Sa Sekhmet-Hethert,
Mery Nebthet-Nit-Seshat

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 03:39:22 pm »
Quote from: Sekhmetnenek
I have not experienced Hethert at all (often, I say there is no Hethert in my Sekhmet) and in this regard feel She is an entirely separate Goddess.

I feel the same about having no Serqet in my Aset...
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Senneferet

• Beginner
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 05:04:05 pm »
Would you say that Sekhmet-Hethert is the 'softer', more motherloy side of Sekhmet rather than being a joined deity with Hethert? Likewise, would someone with Hethert-Sekhmet in their line up experience a more determined (I'm loathe to say fierce) form of Hethert but no Sekhmet?

In this way you have Sekhmet the healer and mother rather than Sekhmet the warrior 90% of the time?

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 05:13:10 pm »
Heh... yeah, there's some potentional for confusion. I think Sekhmet-Hathor is seen as an aspected deity (and so IMHO seperate deities), whereas Hathor-Nut is a syncretized one (and IMHO is a variation of Hathor.) :) Whether or not there are people who get Sekhmet-Hathor or Hathor-Sekhmet as specifically "syncretized" instead of "aspected" is an extremely interesting question!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 05:16:13 pm by Bezenwepwy »
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 05:15:58 pm »
I have long associated the words "fierce joy"  with Sekhmet-Hethert, and the image and sound that accompany those words are of an eagle's piercing cry as it plummets towards it's prey, or a lions fierce roar after chasing off a rival.
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 05:17:38 pm »
Em hotep!

I will be curious to know what our Sekhmet-Hethert children say about having the "softer" side of Sekhmet. Looking at the handful of Sekhmet-Hethert children I know best--I would make that answer a "no" :)  They are still warriors, even if and while healers (and even while healers they are still warriors.)

Same for some of the Hethert-Sekhmet kids I know. While they certainly demonstrate much joy and love that Hethert manifests, they can also be quite steely and fiercely determined.

Senebty
Sedjemes
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 05:19:03 pm »
Hotep Nenek....

Hmmm really? No Hethert, you are thinking?

Now, I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting you in person but....why am I finding that ever so difficult to believe....

Just pondering :D
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955