Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 50
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Meet the Moderator  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
Meet the Moderator
« on: October 28, 2010, 09:48:43 pm »
Em hotep (welcome, in peace) to all.

As your moderator on the "Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)" Forum, I feel it's best to offer you an introduction to me and my thoughts and expectations regarding our fellowship with each other here. After all, if we're going to abide by standards, it's only fair if we all know them, yes?

To begin, my name is Khesretitui, although I tend to go by Khesret for short. I am a child of Set and Ra-Heruakhety, beloved of Heru-Wer and Yinepu-Wepwawet. I've been a member of the House since 2003, a Shemsu since 2004, and a Shemsu-Ankh since 2006. In addition to Kemetic Orthodoxy, I also practice Shinto.

Professionally speaking, I am a scholar who specializes in studying propaganda and "new" media such as film, comics, and video games. I have a background academically in Japanese language and culture, English literature, and Rhetoric.

This forum, which is our public venue for discussing our many understandings of the Divine, is a very important place. It is where knowledge is made and refreshed through civil and courteous debate, and it is where newcomers first find answers to many of their queries about our gods and goddesses. Indeed, everyone who participates here contributes in his or her own way to that very amazing fellowship, and I am humbled that our Nisut (AUS) has asked me to oversee the discussions here. It is my desire to be of service to you, our community, in this capacity.

That said, I would like to briefly note a few thoughts that come to mind concerning respectful debate.

We are all very passionate about our beliefs, for we hold what we know in our hearts very dear. It is natural to want to defend our positions or to ask others for information regarding views that do not agree with our own.

It is also very natural to engage in vigorous debate and conversation. There is nothing inherently wrong with that -- so long as we maintain respect for one another. No one wins a bitter argument where insults are employed. The moment the first hateful word is posted, we all lose, and that is truly regrettable.

Therefore, as I moderate, I will hold the following ideals in my mind in addition to the Forum Policies listed in the forum menu.

-Does the post advance knowledge, whether for one or for many?
-Are dissenting opinions presented with respect?
-Are all claims made provided with sources inasmuch as this is possible?
-When discussing UPG (Unverified Personal Gnosis) or other personal experience as opposed to academic sources, is this distinction made clear?
-Can people agree to disagree when there is no clear answer?

Generally, if this standard is maintained, all is well, and you will rarely see me assert myself. If I see that a topic has become offensive, hateful, or otherwise disrespectful, I will address those involved according to the severity of the issue. I do not wish to brandish my authority in saying this; I merely want you, my fellow members, to know what procedures are in place.

Please do not be afraid to bring any topics to my attention as you see fit. Simply send me a private message detailing your questions or concerns and I will be happy to assist you.

I look forward to having the opportunity to serve you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Khesretitui »
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

I provide writing, editing, and tutoring services in exchange for donations to the House. PM me for details.

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
Re: Meet the Moderator
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 08:21:41 pm »
Em hotep, everyone!

I'm leaving Khesret's posts in place because she did a lot of good work and said a lot of good things... heaven knows I could not say things half as well as she did. She left some awfully substantial shoes to fill, but I'll do my best!

About me... I'm your friendly neighborhood Bes daughter. I'm a history student, I manage my college radio station and I enjoy cute animals, cerebral conversation and absurd humor. I'm here to make sure things stay respectful and civil.

As for me as a moderator, I don't think I could say it any better than Khesret did -- I don't care what you have to say as long as it is respectful and conveyed respectfully. Play nice, folks, and we'll all be happier for it :)
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2836
  • stats Total Posts: 279816
  • stats Total Topics: 18825
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 103
  • stats Most Online: 217