collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 50
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Helpful Hints: Polite Debate  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
Helpful Hints: Polite Debate
« on: October 31, 2010, 10:51:22 am »
Em hotep, all.

While many of us are aware of what constitutes polite debate and discussion, it never hurts to have a reminder accessible when we need it. After all, when discussing issues about faith and religion, we can often be very passionate in our defense of our beliefs or our quest for truth. That said, here are a few helpful hints for ensuring those discussions go smoothly and productively.

These tips are not intended to "talk down" to or insult any of you. They are provided, on the contrary, to assist those who might not be as familiar as they would like with the expectations on this forum or who would simply like a reminder.

First, REMEMBER...

1. Not everyone here shares a common background. We originate in different countries, cultures, language communities, and personal experiences, and all of those things have a huge impact on the ways in which we interact. If someone is from a different place or has a different life path, take that into consideration.

2. Not everyone speaks English as a native language. We have a lot of international users, and they do their very best to learn to communicate with us in English. Give our English 2L users your support and assistance.

3. This forum is populated primarily by Kemetic Orthodoxists. Non-KO users do exist, but the majority of users tend to be members of this Temple. This doesn't mean you can't disagree or discuss issues related to the Faith, but it is worth remembering.

4. We are here to learn from one another. In all things, it's good to keep this simple concept in mind.

Next, DO...

1. Treat other people (and their opinions) with respect. Everyone has a right to his or her own perspective, so even if we vehemently disagree with others, it's only fair that we give them the same respect we want to get.

2. Be prepared to explain yourself. If someone disagrees with you, he or she may ask you to clarify or explain your position. This isn't a personal attack in most cases. It's an attempt to get more information in order to better understand your position.

3. Give your sources. Whether your source is your own personal experience, a papyrus you translated yourself, or a volume from the local university library, be ready to give others the location of any information you reference or quote. You might not need to give your audience a bibliography, but it is reasonable to give someone a sense of where your information and perspective are coming from.

4. Agree to disagree. This is primarily a forum for discussing issues, swapping knowledge, and answering questions. As a result, there will be times when others can't be persuaded to accept your point of view. That's all right, and there is no shame or loss of face involved in simply saying, "Well, it seems we don't agree in this case, but I do appreciate your sharing your perspective with me."

However, DON'T...

1. Attack people. Someone might not agree with you. That person's views might even strike you as horribly offensive. However, don't attack that person's honor, integrity, intelligence, or anything else. In almost all cases, you're debating issues, not people. Stick to the facts and stay respectful.

2. Fall victim to logical fallacies. When drawing conclusions, it's important to avoid dangerous leaps in logic that may not turn out to be true. Learn more about logical fallacies here.

3. Make fun of or insult other groups. If you've had a bad experience with another faith group, a political faction, or other type of organization, don't attack them. Simply state your reasons for disagreeing with the group in question. As with personal attacks, maintain the moral high ground and stick to the facts.

4. Report people for disagreeing with you. Reporting a thread or a user to your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator will begin an administrative process that could possibly have grave consequences for those involved. Do not report people simply because they disagree with you or cannot be persuaded to accept your views. Simply agree in that case to disagree.

DO REPORT A USER/THREAD IF...

1. Language has become offensive. This includes profanity, masked profanity, hate speech, and other kinds of attacks.

2. Attacks against people or groups have occurred. This can include attacks on you, your opponent, any other users, and any groups.

3. Spamming has occurred. Spamming is absolutely not permitted. This can include but is not limited to advertising and plugging other sites or communities without contributing to the discussion.

4. Any other serious offense, gross misconduct, or breach of moral conduct has occurred. If it strikes you as quite possibly hateful or wrong, let me know about it.

Finally...

I am always available to answer any questions. Simply send me a Private Message, and I will respond as soon as I am able.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

I provide writing, editing, and tutoring services in exchange for donations to the House. PM me for details.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2836
  • stats Total Posts: 279816
  • stats Total Topics: 18825
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 103
  • stats Most Online: 217