collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Doubts, Voicing Doubts, and finally accepting HON  (Read 12170 times)

Doubts, Voicing Doubts, and finally accepting HON
« on: November 05, 2010, 10:35:27 am »
Hello, Everyone,

This thread is not meant to be an insult to members of HON, the Rev, or anyone else.

I haven't been on the boards much, changed by name to Following_Sekhmet and I must admit that I like it. I've been having serious doubts about HON, went as far as doubting that the Rev was who she claimed to be (degree wise, not experience wise), trying to distance myself from everyone here (even though you've all been great). I've read that book "Following the Sun" and it was full of really neat information. However in the time that I've been away I've asked the gods to help me decide. I really missed everyone here and what your all talking about. However I still had my doubts.

Someone told me that HON was a cult and I didn't want to be part of a cult that would land on the news with us holed up with guns and stuff. Personally being part of a cult is very scary and I had nightmares about it. During one nightmare I felt something punching through and I found myself in a large stone room that was filled with ancient writing. On a stone throne was Sekhmet and Heru.

They told me that my fears are unfounded and that the Rev is who she claims to be. So I'm taking their word for it and coming back, with a new name, new view, and new respect for the Rev. Now that the BS in my mind is gone I can now focus on being part of HON. I want to take the beginners class and get my name. I might not be able to come to the meetings and stuff, don't live near a chapter and I don't have a car, but I want to be apart of the community.

I've even directed a new soul here and I'm hoping that she'll be joining us soon. I'll post a picture of my shrine very soon and I'm glad to be back.
I follow the rhythm of Egypt.

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
Re: Doubts, Voicing Doubts, and finally accepting HON
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 10:44:19 am »
Most of us live far and wide, actually. The internet forum is one of our primary modes of fellowship, so in this regard your situation is very much like that of the majority of our membership, AFAIK.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 10:51:56 am »
Em hotep

No insult taken. It is always wise, even when considering a place that seems well-respected everywhere, well-liked everywhere, where the people are genuinely kind and the discussions easy--whether that be a possible spiritual home, social or academic club, etc--to take one's time and think long and hard about what one wants and what one might also give.

Here, we are what we are. People might come and stay, or pause for a while and then move on--it's all good, and as it should be.

Both the Nisut (Rev Siuda) and the priests here are always available (through mutual arrangements) to talk with family members,  as well as visitors, if so desired. And that is why we offer the Beginners Enquiry program so that people can see something about what we believe and why we have the structure we have. If they decide this is not a fit for them, it's all good. Always.

And there is never any haste thereafter to become a member. The program itself takes 10-12 weeks, and more happens thereafter--getting a name is not even the very next step (in case any readers wonder about that).

Again, it's all good.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 10:57:13 am »
Thanks, I really hate insulting people. Of course people that like to insult the Egyptian gods don't get my respect.

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:59:08 am »
Em hotep and welcome back Following_Sekhmet.  Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.  If we don't know the answer, we know someone who does and/or where to find it.  :)
Sat Bast her Djehuty her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 11:05:40 am »
Em hotep.

Might I recommend first taking the Beginner's Class before accepting the HoN.  

Perhaps if you approach the Beginner's Class with an open mind and heart, without expectation of acceptance or refusal, you may get more out of the experience and walk away with a better view of the path that lies ahead of you. Whether that path be with the Kemetic Orthodoxy or not, it'll be entirely up to you.

Looking forward to seeing your shrine!

- Taqai
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 11:25:25 am »
I think you'll find yourself in good company in terms of people who are in HoN but who had (or indeed have) doubts about some of the aspects of it. I don't think blind faith is *ever* a requirement, even if you become a shemsu. And I personally think it is very healthy to carry a bit of doubt in your pocket, it protects against the psychological impact of organized religion.
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 11:35:51 am »
Thanks, I'll do that. I'm having trouble with doing the application on-line so I'm going to print it out. I do have a question about the application. Once I do fill it out do I mail it in or do I scan it and then send it?

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 11:39:25 am »
Hotep!

If your scan comes out clear enough you can certainly send it back as instructed via email attachment.

Sedjemes ("She listens")
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Iaityinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 11:47:22 am »
I think either option would be accepted
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet Meryt Satet her Amun-Ra
Iait (with an i, not an L): Adoring

I offer affordable guidance readings, distant healing and developmental courses.  Please take a look - Readings by Caroline

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 01:11:44 pm »
Thanks, I was worried. My mother isn't exactly comfortable with me signing up for classes but I just want to see what their like. I'm going to have to do everything on-line and by phone but I was told that's how it's usually done if you can't actually be there in person.

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 01:27:09 pm »
The beginners program consists of ten emailed weekly lessons, along with two optional weekly discussion chats, and ample opportunity to ask questions either in those chats, or on the forums or directly to the teaching priests.

After the program finishes we provide further information to those who finished that group as to what they may want to do next.

Sedjemes ("She listens")
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Baket

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 01:41:38 pm »
Welcome back! I hope you find what you're looking for. :)
Devotee of the Divine Felines and my darling Loki
http://www.zazzle.com/cattywompus

Offline Huyitu

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 01:49:21 pm »
Don’t worry about it Following_Sekhmet, I used to actually be a fairly harsh critic of HON myself and I know there are a lot of active members with a similar background before taking the plunge and signing up for the class and getting to know the community.  So you are in good company.  
Son of Wesir and Ra, Beloved of Wepwawet-Yinepu

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 01:55:19 pm »
I'm relieved. The strange thing about this doubting and spiritual journey is that no matter how many gods and goddess from different pantheons that I come across, and sometimes worship, I always end up coming back to Sekhmet. When I do my parent divination at some point in my life I'm hoping that my mother is Sekhmet. I won't be upset if it isn't, as I love surprises, but I really do hope so.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal