collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of June 14, 2021 = $1,847.64 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: A Question on Temples  (Read 16223 times)

A Question on Temples
« on: November 05, 2010, 03:51:23 pm »
Em-Hotep-Rh'ekh,

It has always been a dream of mine to one day have one (preferably several) temples in existence resembling the ones form ancient Kemet; where priest can care for the housed Netjer and preform purification and state rituals ex. I even dream of having a 'Cult Center' like the one in Karnak, where the mighty Amun-Ra can be worshiped along with his kin Netjer (Khonsu, Min, Mut, Sekhmet, and Ptah).

Though, I have come to wonder if most people today would consider a physical temple an inconvenience. Thinking somewhat along the lines as “Well, I would love to see how beautiful it could be, though I would never have time to go...” Also, on must consider the amount of money it would take to construct a temple like this; and maintain it.

I do understand that there does exist a 'Mother' temple in Illinois; though my understanding is that it is not open every day to the public :confused:  

My big question here revolves around this: Would you go to a temple if one existed close to where you lived?

A: Would a Temple be important to you?

B: Do you think a 'Cult Center' is needed in order to have other smaller temples?
(Example: the Temple of Karnak 'governing' the temples of 'Thebes' Abydos and Esna)

C: Would you go to this temple more than once: on a regular basis; perhaps once a week or every other week?

D: A question to Priests; would you desire a temple to preform rituals in. Would you honor the idea of 'your' own temple devoted to your 'patron' Netjer.

I am curious to know what others feel on this matter?

Senabty-Rh'ekh
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: A Question on Temples
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:12:51 pm »
Hotep

Just as a note, in antiquity people did not go to the local temple to participate in rituals performed by the priests. Not like Catholic Mass or Protestant, Jewish, or Muslim services in churches, synagogues and mosques.

It is the same for Kemetic Orthodoxy today. So even if say tomorrow every priest in Kemetic Orthodoxy opened up a larger temple outside our respective homes--all we would do would be to have state rites which would not be open to the public.

Which all the priests in Kemetic Orthodoxy do now. Each priest maintains a state altar (in addition to our own personal shrines) in our homes so that we can perform state rites as part of our "job description" as it were. Just as in antiquity.  Depending on how many members (and interested friends) live nearby, priests can participate in group religious festival celebrations, and while we may function, but those are generally more on a personal piety level.

((side-note, not sure in antiquity the larger temples "governed" other temples. I don't know if they did or they did not--but I would not state that as a fact unless I did know from a reliable current source for sure.))

Senebty
Sedjemes
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 04:43:33 pm »
In terms of a public temple, I see it as church is just a roof people gather under. Heck, even that is stricter than it used to be :P

If I had a temple right next to me... I would go if there were public rituals being held there, but they probably only would be for major festivals, unless there were enough people nearby to make it worth holding regular smaller events (The NE American area would probably be a place a temple might hold such events)
Isha (they) | Selene (she)
𓇼

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 05:20:10 pm »
Em-Hotep,

Yes, it is true that the ancient temples did not act like churches, they were very 'closed' to the public for most of the year. My hope and aspiration is that a temple of today would be open to the public every day of the week. I do not intended for their to be masses like in a church, though perhaps a 'school of thought' kind of like this forum. If people come to the temple to pray and have questions, there would be a priest there, of course, to assist them with their questions.

Offline Iaityinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 07:24:10 pm »
*is wondering why you are confused by the fact that our 'Mother' temple, Tawy house is not open to the public

Quote from: Imsetra_Imsety
I do understand that there does exist a 'Mother' temple in Illinois; though my understanding is that it is not open every day to the public :confused:

When you also state-

Yes, it is true that the ancient temples did not act like churches, they were very 'closed' to the public for most of the year.

Perhaps this is the way Netjer wants it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Iaityinepu »
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet Meryt Satet her Amun-Ra
Iait (with an i, not an L): Adoring

I offer affordable guidance readings, distant healing and developmental courses.  Please take a look - Readings by Caroline

Offline Senneferet

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:42:48 pm »
I would like a community meeting place rather than a 'temple'. For me, ritual is a private thing between me and my gods but I would love a place to meet others. I miss that I have no one to share festivals with, to talk to in person about spiritual issues etc

I would go regularly if there was one in my area but would see it more as a social activity rather than a religious gathering like mass.

Offline Tuwer

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 07:44:30 pm »
...kind of like this forum...

And with this little snippet, you've hit the nail on the head.

These forums are a part of our Temple.  They are open every day, with priests to assist us, with places to ask questions and to pray with our fellow Guests, Beginners, Remetj, and Shemsu.

The forums here are the front steps, albeit virtual, to our Temple.
Senebty,
~ Tuwer
~ Daughter of Bast-Mut and (Hekatawy-Alexandros)| (AUS), Beloved of Amun-Ra & Khonsu

Offline Shuwyt

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 08:28:39 pm »
Quote from: Senneferet
but would see it more as a social activity rather than a religious gathering like mass.

And this is why I refuse to attend any sort of religious service, regardless of my views on that religion (as I'm occasionally asked to please, please come to Christian services with various people - my issues aren't with Jehovah, they're with church) - even when it is geared toward worship, it's still a social activity, and I'm not good with those. I've been told I don't have to be 'good with people' to go to church (presumably, I just need to go to be 'good with God'), but I'm an agoraphobe, and there isn't a lot that's more tortorous to me than being surrounded by people who are going to make a point of noticing me, make a point of trying to get me involved, want to be friendly and huggy and - No. Just no.

So even if there was a Kemetic gathering local to me, I wouldn't attend - at least not right now, and probably not anytime soon. I'm not able to deal with the social aspect, and from what I've heard, our gods seem to be very intense in person - and to be honest, I don't think I'm at a place, emotionally, where I can deal with that either. I had to quite attending even the chats for about the same reason - it's just too much, too overwhelming. I'm okay with private devotion in my own way.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Shuwyt »
Shuwytyinepu (Yinepu's Shadow)
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet, meryt Sokar-Wesir her Ra
Curiosity killed the - ooh! What's that?

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 08:48:36 pm »
Em-Hotep-Everyone,

Allow me to explain my views on a 'temple' a little more in depth.

I do desire greatly for there to be physical temples for people to go to (of course I wish they would resemble a temple from Kemet and not just an old bingo-parlor ;) ) And yes, I would love for them to serve as a gathering place more than an actual temple... at least in front.

To Iaityinepu:  I only got the impression that the 'Mother' temple is closed on a regular basis because, well, it just seems like it would be. I don't know why, it is just a feeling I am getting when I think about it or see pictures of it. (and to answer the second part of your post: I do believe Netjer wants a temple to be closed to people as well... if that makes any sense to you. I believe that the inner temple (or naos) should be closed to the public. Though, the front halls or 'chapels' of the temple should be open to people; where perhaps a false naos would stand for them to view, give offerings to or simply gather with other children of said Netjer.    

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 09:02:40 pm »
Oh... and yes, these forums are a great place to meet people and of course to discuss issues and ideas we have. Though, while the internet is a great tool, I feel that is isolates us. Is it not better to see people in person?

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 09:12:46 pm »
Better, worse. Different.

Tawy House is open on appointment, basically. This is because unlike most places, people actually *live* there, in such a way that it would be kind of dangerous and/or awkward if people could just walk in.
Isha (they) | Selene (she)
𓇼

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 09:14:22 pm »
Hotep

But--we already have opportunities to gather together if we so wish. Some regions and some folks do that whenever they can, even if that means merely announcing that one will be visiting x place so if folks want to get together they can do so; and some folks are hoping to have more members in their areas.

But the opportunities already exist. One need not have a temple to get together and make offerings to deities or celebrate particular festivals. Altars and shrines can be set up quite adequately wherever a suitable place can be found.

So--many of us see each other in person :) That's why we describe ourselves as a community of faith. As Shuwyt points out, seeing each other is not necessary if one is not so inclined, but gathering is already being done.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Tanebet

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Sebau (Education Director), Semer-Wati
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 01:31:20 am »
Oh... and yes, these forums are a great place to meet people and of course to discuss issues and ideas we have. Though, while the internet is a great tool, I feel that is isolates us. Is it not better to see people in person?

Em Hotep *henu*,

of course most of us would like to meet of House members regulary.
But many members live far away from another one, so yes, they are already isolated in real life and the forum is the best thing they have

Senebty
Tanebet
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline HehiAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 06:13:32 am »
Em Hotep, *henu*

Speaking personally, in the years before I joined the House, none of the organisations I belonged to had regular meetings, though one had an annual weekend conference (a teach-in really). The only other contacts we had was by e-mail or printed matter from the teachers - the Boards here were the first of many joys the House offered me. It is not the Boards nor the internet which isolate us, I think, simply distance and the size of the Church - if we were well represented in all countries then possibly people would feel the need/desire for "local central temples" as well as gatherings on some of the Feast days (say). I doubt if that would entirely satisy many of the Congregation though, as many would still wish to meet those they knew who lived in other countries, however distant.

I count myself fortunate to have attended Wep Ronpet at Tawy in 2008 and 2010, but the distance and hence cost is such that I need to save quite strenuously from my "allowance" [as opposed to general home funds] in order to do that but it is more than worth the effort and the wait for a week or so with my Brothers and Sisters in the Faith.

Senebty

Hehi
Hehi

Sa Aset-Serqet,her Hekatawy1(AUS!)
meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Aset makes you bright,and makes  fair ways of vindication against your foes,and those who would have judgment against you in the realm of the dead"

Coffin Texts

Offline Senneferet

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 08:01:02 am »
I don't feel like the internet isolates us. I don't know what I would do without these forums. I'm practically housebound so I don't get out a lot to see anyone, let alone travel to see fellow Kemetics.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3423
  • stats Total Posts: 302195
  • stats Total Topics: 20857
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 123
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal