collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: A Question on Temples  (Read 15290 times)

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: A Question on Temples
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 08:02:40 am »
In regards to Hehi's comment that we would need to be well represented, I think gathering an immense amount of people would actually transform Kemetic Orthodoxy as we know it into what Imsetra_Imsety had in mind, at least theoretically. Take this for instance: suppose we gained a million new shemsu from each the US, Britain, Sweden, Various Latin American Countries, and other European Countries. Theoretically that would be about 5 million people who show up out of nowhere, most of them with previously Christian beliefs. Even if they went through proper training and honestly wanted to become shemsu, I feel that within such a large number of people, the desire for a physical ritual space (temple) might become an overwhelming majority. In that situation, it would obviously be up to Hemet (AUS) and the priests to organize and or strictly state whether or not KO would allow another 5,000 (random guess here o.o) or more temples to be erected to be able to attend to such a mass of shemsu. In addition, the desire for group meetings and worship would probably grow very strong as well. I think in  a situation where our numbers GREATLY exceed the numbers we have now, multiple temples could become a reality. Still, I would have to say it is wholly theoretical and quite improbable. As it stands, I would suggest it is a possibility but little more than that.

Personally, as a solitary Wiccan, I still seek the company of other practitioners, but I have failed to find any I can blend well with. If public group worship within KO was available, I would be all for it, be it weekly, monthly, seasonally, or what have you. Right now with our numbers I figure that isn't a realistic possibility, and I believe that is probably why things are the way they are. Regardless, the Gods will get the style of worship that They want, and we'll just have to keep our solitary worship in our own time.
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

Offline Blissi

• Remetj
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 11:57:15 am »
senneferet, i live not far from birmingham. so really, a like minded person is not so far away if u wanted a face to face talk.

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 03:01:09 pm »
I get wistful about the idea of large-scale temples sometimes. When I visit a cathedral, or even a good-sized chapel, or when I drive by the large Hindu temple not far from where I live, I wonder if I'll ever see the day when we'll have sizeable, Kemetic-designed and -built temples. Realistically, I don't think I will, as it would require a lot more people and a lot more resources. The House of Netjer *is* growing, but I think it will be a number of years before we can support more than Tawy House.

That said, I do have a "temple" in which to perform rituals--my state shrine, which is in my house. And I'm fortunate enough to be located in one of the more active areas, where we have enough people in proximity that we can hold regular events, plus I have all of the online interaction. So I really can't complain. ^_^

Somewhere on my list of projects I have "establish temple gardens and outdoor shrines for Netjer on my property." But for right now, I'm just trying to get my bathroom remodeled. :grin:

So anyway, I appreciate the sentiment. Temples would be awesome--but I think the most important things to focus on right now are sustaining our service to Netjer and our community building, both of which we *can* do with what we have. As for the rest--maybe someday, Gods willing. ^_^

Senebty,

Shefyt
Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 05:37:21 pm »
Tbh, I think it will be a number of years before we can support Tawy House D:

Though, along with Akhyt, I am determined to try and get one set up on this side of the pond anyway.
Isha (they) | Selene (she)
Meset Wepwawet, Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, Hethert-Amenti, her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice • Self-care Hethert-Amenti Advocate
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓏣𓋌𓇼

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 05:43:12 pm »
It could seem like the internet separates us, I'll admit, but I think it's also worth noting that it brings us together on a scale we might never see without it.

Our Faith began in the Chicago area, if I recall correctly (and I may not), and without the internet I suspect it might have remained limited to there. That is currently one of the more active regions, but consider just how many of us are from places far from Chicago and you may begin to get a sense of how the far can become the near through this, our virtual temple.

My gut feeling is that as our numbers grow over time (perhaps over decades or generations), there will be more face to face fellowship, more frequently, and in more places. However, we have a wonderful thing now thanks to this technology, and I for one am quite grateful for it.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 11:59:09 pm »
Now I'm not a very social person (yeah, big surprise), but having a network of temples would be cool, if only for the sake of art and historical authenticity.  

On a more practical note, there are way better uses for money than constructng elaborate religious buildings.  That goes for all religions.  Instead of building and maintaining giant churches, let's end world hunger or something. :)

Worship, I think, is done best in private.  State rituals are not open to the public so a public temple in which to do them wouldn't serve much purpose.  Meetings can be done just about anywhere, which is basically what is already done with the meet-ups.  What we've got is good enough for now.  Folks are so spread out that most of us wouldn't live near temples even if there were more of them.
Kehawi
Sa Amun-Ra her Set
Mery Serqet her Heru-wer

Offline Senneferet

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 08:53:14 am »
Quote from: Kehawiitu

On a more practical note, there are way better uses for money than constructng elaborate religious buildings.  That goes for all religions.  Instead of building and maintaining giant churches, let's end world hunger or something. :)

*applause* A church near my home has just spent a fortune adding an extension and refurbishing the main church, yet last year they turned away a homeless man in the middle of winter who only wanted a warm drink. All that money on grandeur but they have lost the true meaning of their faith

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 01:17:02 pm »
Em-Hotep-Senneferet,

This is what I frown upon as well; churches spending a boatload of money on remodeling or expansions and yet they shoo away people in need... 'just go to the shelter down the road...' they tell them. I hope too that if more temples for the faith are built, that they would also have a sort of hospice or an almshouse to tend to the needy. Of course not in the main halls of the temple; though in a comforting annex building. :)  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 01:18:18 pm by Imsetra_Imsety »
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 07:14:33 am »
Quote from: Imsetra_Imsety
Em-Hotep-Senneferet,

This is what I frown upon as well; churches spending a boatload of money on remodeling or expansions and yet they shoo away people in need... 'just go to the shelter down the road...' they tell them. I hope too that if more temples for the faith are built, that they would also have a sort of hospice or an almshouse to tend to the needy. Of course not in the main halls of the temple; though in a comforting annex building. :)  

I couldn't agree more, it is sad when people in need of help are turned away from  a church of all places. There is far too much money wasted on the buildings.
You don't know what you can do until you try.

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 07:34:48 pm »
What about, instead of a Temple a place for the whole community both KO and non KO. You mentioned people being turned away. What about somewhere thats a mix of shelter for those who need it, community charity shop, cafe, temple, admin area.
Other religions do it. Why not start having bases like that around the world.
Daughter of Ptah-Sokar and Hathor-Sekhmet, Beloved of Set and Aset-Serqet

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 08:36:45 pm »
Hotep,

I had a response typed out for this, but I have decided against it. I feel it would be a wasted effort.

Senebty,
~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 08:45:45 pm »
I mean no offense by this, but I think most people have become contented with the distance because of the online community. Although I don't really enjoy the distance, I suppose you adjust to it. I'm all for the idea of public temples, but since it doesn't go along with the Reconstructionist ideal (being as it was in the ancient context), it's probably not going to happen. Western culture has caused most of us to grow accustomed to Sunday Church and community gatherings (covens, synagogues, etc.) so it's kind of a question of whether or not adjustments should be made for modern culture or contained within the past context. I think for public temples, there would need to be a multitude more KO members (as I've said before).

Personally, if you are seriously looking for a community, perhaps you should look into Paganism in tandem with your KO practice.

(It's probably obvious that I skimmed through this thread, so sorry if I've repeated everyone else here XD)
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 12:37:34 am »
I can sum up my thoughts on the matter in five words:

Who's gonna pay for it?
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 01:41:09 am »
One day, like Tai'a said, we're going to have a temple this side of the pond. There's a floor plan :P Other than that, who knows.

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 08:14:31 am »
A thought here borrowed from my experience with Shinto:

In the United States, we have very few active Shinto shrines. There are a few in Hawaii, and they serve the Japanese-American population of the Islands as they have since they were built. We also have one -- just one -- in the Continental U.S., and that shrine is in the Seattle area.

For practitioners such as myself who live a great distance from the main Shrine, it's difficult to visit there for major events, much less for everyday ritual. This makes Shinto practice in the U.S. at a distance from this shrine rather different from Shinto practice in Japan, where community and Shrine intertwine due to the high number of shrines in Japan. When I lived there, for instance, there was a shrine two blocks from my apartment.

However, the distance from the main Shrine here in the U.S. doesn't keep practitioners from deepening their Shinto practice. We have kamidana, or household altars, and we do all we can to study, practice, and live sincere lives where we are. There has been interest expressed in opening more shrines in the U.S., and I have spoken about this to the chief priest of the Shrine in Washington. His explanation, heavily paraphrased, is as follows:

Essentially, you  need an already extant community to support a shrine, and that community has to be of a certain size and have a certain economic level of impact. (This is essentially, BTW, what Tek is saying: they have to be able to pay for it.) For a shrine (or a Temple, if you please) to be a full-time operation takes a multi-million dollar annual budget at the very least, and it also takes having trained full-time clergy willing to staff the building, the expense of purchasing the building, etc.

At this time in the U.S., it seems there's only one place capable of really supporting a Shinto shrine in the Contigious 48: the Seattle area. The community physically exists for a Shrine there in enough numbers (and many of those members stretch all the way from Portland up to Vancouver, too). I know of maybe a dozen people in Texas who practice Shinto. I'm sure there are more, but I only know of that many. We're not sufficient to support a Shrine even as much as we want one. Maybe in 100 years the climate of things will have changed and there'll be a Shrine in Texas, but for now it's not feasible.

On the other hand, the chief priest at the Washington shrine does an amazing job maintaining an email list and an online community to keep his distant parishioners in touch. Right now, that seems to be the best option available.

In the case of KO and our Temple, I think things are similar. We have many members outside the Chicago area, though for now it seems that we don't have the wherewithal to support multiple temples. It's unfortunate but true, and with time it may change. Still, for now, we've got our hands full with one Temple, much less two or more. One day when our community grows enough that it can support multiple Temples, I don't doubt it would happen. However, for now we make do with what we have -- an effort made much, much easier through the use of this forum.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Khesretitui »
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3253
  • stats Total Posts: 298394
  • stats Total Topics: 20453
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955