collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 56
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Significance of eyebrows in ancient Kemet?  (Read 8784 times)

Significance of eyebrows in ancient Kemet?
« on: November 13, 2010, 07:49:00 am »
Hello everyone, first-timer here. I have been researching the alleged custom of a family shaving their eyebrows when the family cat died, to indicate mourning until their brows grew back.  Some sources say this was probably written up by Herodotus, who was generally pretty accurate.  Others say there is no really credible source for this tale.  This makes me wonder what the significance of eyebrows, specifically, would have been aside from an important part of the well-groomed appearance.  If appearing disheveled or "ugly" was in line with displaying mourning, I am wondering if this was simply a form of self-mutilation, in a way, that was not permanent.  But I have seen other references to eyebrows (here in the forums--searched this topic first) that make me think there was something specifically about eyebrows that had meaning.  I'd appreciate any information anyone may have on this subject, especially since I may be shaving my own later today depending upon what our veterinarian has to say this morning.

Thank you,
Minyassa

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
Re: Significance of eyebrows in ancient Kemet?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:59:14 am »
I have been tempted to do this when I have kitty death in my family. Instead I usually hack off a chunk of my hair.
Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.

Offline Tamiwi

• Rev Danielle, Ordained Priest
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 02:00:25 pm »
Hotep!

I was always told eyebrows don't grow back which..must be a myth, and why I never shaved mine! LoL. Personally I am curious myself as to why it was done; I believe the Egyptians had their heads shaved to begin with and wore wigs, so perhas its tied to that or, perhaps the duration of which the eyebrows grew back is an approximation of something akin to our Akhu's 70 days?

:)
W'abet Nekhen Miu Wer
Sat Bast her Ra her Hekatawy I (AUS)
*Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Heru-Sa-Aset*
Fedw Diviner | Heri-sesheta Bast

Offline Hemka

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 02:08:10 pm »
Emhotep,

Tamiwi, dont worry.I experimented once to see if that was true.I endured six minutes of horror, and six months of confusion not being able to recognize myself in a mirror, but my eyebrows are now as thick as they ever were.

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 02:09:59 pm »
Hotep!

I am interested to know if there is any evidence of this eyebrow shaving being done prior to the time of Herodotus. While his observations can be informative, he was writing at a time when Egypt was ruled by the Assyrians. I cannot help wondering how widespread his observations were, whether the shaving took place throughout Upper and Lower Egypt, and if it had been done prior to the Assyrian domination.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 07:25:02 am »
The heck with eyebrows, I hope your cat is OK.  
"Bast makes me fortunate."

Sat Bast, mery Nut her Sekhmet-Hetheret
Certified Crazy Cat Lady
Semer-wati

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 08:52:04 am »
I have heard of the eyebrow thing through heresay, but have never actually read that is was common or wide spread. For what it's worth.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Iaityinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 03:23:58 am »
Quote from: Semaretibast
The heck with eyebrows, I hope your cat is OK.  

Ditto this
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet Meryt Satet her Amun-Ra
Iait (with an i, not an L): Adoring

I offer affordable guidance readings, distant healing and developmental courses.  Please take a look - Readings by Caroline

Offline HedebBast

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 03:36:01 am »
I third that.
-HedebBast-
Sat Bast
Meryt Sekhmet-Mut
Thankful to Set and my Akhu
Facebook|Blog

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 11:55:35 am »
Thank you all for your sweet concerns about my baby. I had to let her go on Saturday morning, due to kidney failure. She was 14, and made it very clear that she was ready to go. I am heartbroken, but have been discovering a lot of support (much of it from strangers) and it's helping me get through. When I receive her remains back I will be taking a cue from Aashemmuti and cutting my hair to enshrine with her.

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 12:02:53 pm »
How very unfortunate. May she find peace in the West.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Baket

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 03:56:44 pm »
Prayers and hugs for you!
Devotee of the Divine Felines and my darling Loki
http://www.zazzle.com/cattywompus

Offline Siwy

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 06:09:10 pm »
Prayers for both of you and the Rainbow Bridge poem.

link: http://www.newrainbowbridge.com/NRB/rbpoem.htm

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

That poem always makes me cry, it's so pretty.  When Tinkie finally goes, I plan on reading this over her kitty grave and putting the copy in with her, along with some pure water.
Siwyenbast "announce to Bast"

Sat Bast, Meryt Djehuty, Wesir, Heruakhty.

Things, as well as the gods are always dynamic, never static.  Things change, and to be static is no better than being eaten by monsters.
Don't just BE, DO!

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 03:32:50 am »
Thank you all for your kind words and wishes. It really is a comfort.

Here is the memorial site I was able to put up for her if anyone wants to see it. She was gorgeous, smart and silly, and I am still very proud of her.  http://xena-bertine.critters.com/

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 05:51:53 am »
Minyassa, she was beautiful.  But she still lives in your heart, I carry my dog Misha with me in mine.
You don't know what you can do until you try.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2937
  • stats Total Posts: 286228
  • stats Total Topics: 19409
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything