collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 45
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: The Business between Seth and Heru  (Read 2635 times)

The Business between Seth and Heru
« on: November 13, 2010, 08:27:11 pm »
Imhotep everyone,

I don't know if this has been asked and if it has then I'm sorry to repeat something that someone else has mentioned. I'm taking a on-line course to get my High School finally finished and I'm planning on going into Archeology, specializing in Egyptology. The question that I have is that I know about the battle between Seth and Heru but there's a story about the rape of Heru by Seth or something like that.

It amazed me that Aset was worried about Heru and some child that he might have, I might be getting this all wrong but I know that she was furious. So what was the business between Seth and Heru is connection to Heru being raped by Seth or was it the other way around.

I hope that someone gets what I'm trying to say.  
I follow the rhythm of Egypt.

Offline The Tai'awepwawet System

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: The Business between Seth and Heru
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 08:58:44 pm »
Seth "did a man's deed" between Heru's thighs, but Heru caught it on his hands. No problem, Aset lopped them off and grew him new ones.

Heru then did his stuff into a bowl, which he and mum sprinkled on Set's lettuce, for him to duely nom.

Then it all came down to Djehuty magically figuring out who had who's "Stuff" on and/or in them.

Not so much a story about rape, but of masculinity and superiority. If Set had managed to get away with his Man's Deed, it would have shown Heru as not really the right stuff for kingship.

ETA: As far as I know, no children were involved in the making of this story.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:59:58 pm by Henytenwepwawet »
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
Meset Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhety, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, her Sekhmet-Hethert
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴
Our Blog + Links to Carrd and Incense Spreadsheet

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 09:28:17 pm »
Thanks, I was totally confused by the whole story. Of course someone said that it was rape but of course that could just be mad Egyptians talking.
I follow the rhythm of Egypt.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 09:41:02 pm »
In historical societies, homosexual sex wasn't really looked at in the same way as we do today.  In many societies it was a power dynamic relationship, a man of authority doing what Henyten so calls a "Man's Deed" to a man who is submissive to him.  It's sort of a play on gender relations, if a man has another man as if he were a woman, to use a highly antiquated world perspective, it proves that he is the one who rules the roost so to speak.  That's also a reason why that sort of relationship often had an age gap that would be disturbing to modern sensibilities.  I'm not talking about ancient Egypt in particular here, but I've always looked at the Contendings as that sort of dynamic.

Now, speaking about the Contendings specifically, throughout the story what essentially happens is that Heru-Sa-Aset uses clever deception to turn the tables in His favor, even though Set is the stronger party in every event.  Throughout the story, Set (generally) plays fair because He has the physical strength necessary to win, but He always loses because Heru-Sa-Aset uses trickery, racing with a boat made of wood covered in plaster instead of a stone boat, for example.  Set sinks because He's trying to move a solid stone boat as per the competition rules, Heru-Sa-Aset wins because He cheated and used a wooden boat.

So Set dominates Heru-Sa-Aset by having Him sexually, but Heru-Sa-Aset gets the better of Him by catching the semen which Aset then discards before giving Heru-Sa-Aset another hand Star Wars style.  Heru-Sa-Aset tricks Set into consuming His semen so that when Set starts bragging about how He dominated Heru-Sa-Aset, and they call forth proof, it looks like Heru-Sa-Aset dominated Set in a nice display of dramatic irony.

I wouldn't call it "rape," from the language in the story it looks like Heru-Sa-Aset willingly played along with Set's advances because He knew He could use them against Him.  I've seen it described as "rape" a lot, but I don't think they're really reading the story in its context or... you know, reading the words.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Setkheniitw »
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal