collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 1

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Opening of the Mouth ceremony  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Iaityinepu

• Shemsu
Opening of the Mouth ceremony
« on: November 17, 2010, 06:54:31 am »
I read in another post (and I believe I've read it elsewhere too) that the priests in AE would perform the Opening of the Mouth ceremony each day to the statues of Netjer before giving offerinngs.  

Does anyone know if there was/is a "Closing of the Mouth ceremony" that may have been performed after the offerings at the end of the day.
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet Meryt Satet her Amun-Ra
Iait (with an i, not an L): Adoring

I offer affordable guidance readings, distant healing and developmental courses.  Please take a look - Readings by Caroline

Offline Devo

• Remetj
Re: Opening of the Mouth ceremony
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 08:38:15 am »
I have never read that the Opening of the Mouth was performed daily. Based off of Reidy's book, the whole process of opening the mouth was in depth, and it wouldn't have been practical to do every day.

From what I've heard from other Kemetics, there was either a time frame, or something else that would sorta symbolize a need to re-do the Opening of the Mouth, but they were never really clear on what that was. So unfortunately, I can't say for certain what the criteria or steps would be to "close" the mouth. But I can say that I have never read of a specific ritual for such a thing.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline The Tai'awepwawet System

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Opening of the Mouth ceremony
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 11:22:03 am »
Opening of the Mouth imbues life, you leave the God in the statue and tuck Him/Her in for the night rather than saying "GTHO" after you're done ;D

As such no it was not performed daily as there was no need for it to be, the statue was already opened. They did do rituals and offerings daily, but they even skimped on some of those (supposed to change the God's clothing daily, but went with just *symbolically* doing it except for once a week when they did it fully, so sayeth Serge Sauneron in Priests of AE)
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
Meset Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhety, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, her Sekhmet-Hethert
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴
Our Blog + Links to Carrd and Incense Spreadsheet

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal