Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 44
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: prayer beads  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
prayer beads
« on: November 19, 2010, 06:24:20 am »
Em Hotep!

I'm looking for ideas about how to use prayer beads in my worship of the Deities.  I'm also wondering if they were used at any time in history as part of the worship of Aset.

I have learned prayer beads are not a part of Kemetic Orthodoxy, but that there are many shemsu who use them.  I would like to know more about how they are used by members of this community.

Thanks!!!
Sat Aset-Serqet meryt Amun her Sekhmet-Hethert

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Sekhmetnenek

• Shemsu
Re: prayer beads
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 08:19:34 am »
Em hotep!

I do not use prayer beads right now, but only because I don't have any. I am hoping, once I get a job, to buy some from Satsenu who makes some fabulous looking beads inspired by the Names of Netjer.

When I was a Catholic, I very much loved the rosary. I used to observe the prayers and meditation of the rosary every so often, and found it to be an incredible spiritual experience. I was, and still am, fond of the Virgin Mary and it was a good devotion for Her. In much the same way Catholics observe the rosary, you could use prayers beads in a Kemetic standpoint. Maybe find some prayers from Ancient Egypt to recite, or write some of your own. Assign a prayer to a specific color of bead in the pattern, and pray your way through them. You could do it daily, or weekly, or monthly. It is really all up to you.

When I was pursuing Asatru, I really loved the idea of prayer beads. I was going to make different sets, each of them structured after a different concept (the 9 worlds, the Aesir, the Vanir, etc). In that same way, you could make prayer beads for usage with Kemetic concepts (the 42 purifications, the Children of Nut and Geb, etc).

Senebty!  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:36:36 am by Sekhmetnenek »
Sekhmetnenek|Sekhmet Belongs to Me|
Sa Sekhmet-Hethert,
Mery Nebthet-Nit-Seshat

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 08:31:21 am »
Em Hotep!

In my 20s I was very much into devotional Hinduism, and used to chant mantras on mala beads. I still do occasionally. But for Kemetic Orthodox meditation and chanting I figured it would be best to get a dedicated set of prayer beads. The One who spoke to me most strongly about it was my beloved Shu. Satsenu does make great prayer beads and she custom designed a set of beads for me to use in His honor.

To be honest I have not started using them yet as she just sent them to me ;) so I am not sure yet what I'll be chanting or what prayer I will be saying. I expect that when they arrive, He or one of my Mums will inform me of how to proceed :)
Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 01:07:06 pm »
Perhaps this will inspire you. I had a set of Goddess prayer beads for the Greek triads of Maiden, mother, and crone Goddesses. It was structured like a rosary. The first bead was a Great Goddess prayer. I then had four beads for the four elements. As it went into the necklace like loop, the first bead was the new moon, which I said a prayer for then meditated upon as I moved through the next 12 beads. I then had 9 beads separated by three Goddess beads (12 beads total in 3 sets of 1 goddess bead and 3 prayer beads). After that was the full moon, and I repeated the same process with the Mother and Crone beads. I then had a heart bead to pray for ma'at in my heart, a dark of the moon bead to remind me that the end is just the start of a new beginning, and then 4 beads for the 4 winds to cleanse my heart/mind, etc. I then returned to the Great Goddess bead and repeated that prayer. At the end, where the cross would have been on a rosary was an ankh, and with that I prayed for long life and rebirth for all those I loved and those who had passed on.

Sorry if this post is lengthy. If you want more info on it, feel free to PM me. I figure this layout can be adapted for Kemetic use (i.e. Netjer instead of the Great Goddess). Syncretisms, Aspected Gods and Gods that were worshipped in a particular locality or as a family might work well as a replacement for certain bits of the prayer layout.

I think the main idea is to make it your own, so that it does what you want it to do to connect with your gods.

And with that, I'll shut up XD
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:40:20 pm by Faofeng »
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:01:26 am »
Em Hotep!

I also relate a lot to Mary and I think it could be because Aset and Mary seem connected as sacred Mothers.

I love all your ideas for making a prayer bead practice.  There are so many ways to use them as part of worship and I find it very soothing to use them before I go to sleep or when I'm having a hard time.  I already made a set for the 42 Laws of Ma'at.  

I also explored Asatru (part of my heritage), but didn't relate to it like the Ancient Egyptian spirituality.  I wonder if Aset was ever worshiped in Northern Europe?  I have heard She was worshiped throughout Europe during some various parts of history.

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 10:08:30 am »
Thanks for mentioning Satsenu.  I googled and found her prayer beads and they are very beautiful.  BTW, I have friended you on LJ (I'm Heartwork).  I saw the link to it in your signature line.

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 10:12:54 am »
Em Hotep!  This wasn't long at all.  I loved your great creativity and how personal your prayer bead practice became.  How beautiful!  Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me.  

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 11:42:21 am »
Em hotep, Visonofisis!

I just wanted to   link you directly to my prayer beads. I do in fact make custom ones upon request. I've labeled the ones I've made thus far with certain Names, but you can use them for Whomever they strike you as. Prayer beads for the Kemetic Names is a rather new practice as there has only just begun having an interest in such a thing. I myself have a prayer bead upon my shrine and it is the only implement that I own that can connect me to a certain Name of Netjer. I find, personally, that sometimes it is easier to connect to individual gods if you have something to concentrate on relating to Them. That's my own upg, but it is the inspiration behind my making these. They aren't that hard to make and they make a wonderful addition to any shrine, even just as 'godly bling'. Feel free to pm me anytime or add me on FB! I'm Satsenu Grace on FB. ^_^

Senebty and much love,
Satsenu
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 08:24:16 am »
I use my rosary for prayer beads. I have asked my Mother and Virgin Mary if it is offensive, as I keep both of them in mind in various times, haven't received resolute 'yes' or 'don't do it'. So I just figure it's not so much issue for Them as perhaps might be for me.

I tend to feel Serqet's presence quite often when I pray to Virgin Mary, I simply take it as 'right' to use something reminding me of both of them.

The color and design of the rosary are important to me. They remind me of Wepwawet, one of my Beloveds. I've picked it with him in mind. There's more symbolism to me; the rosary is something I wear on myself, similarly as Wepwawet is very close, very reachable.

For my other Beloved, Tefnut, I don't think it would work. The rosary is way 'dark' for her. We're not that close in any shrine time. So I don't worry about not having something for her yet. It would be nice, but not necessary.
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.
Sa Wepwawet-Ra her Bast, KO Sa Serqet.
Friend to Khepera and Sobek-Ra.

Tarot reader for Wepwawet & Serqet.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3311
  • stats Total Posts: 299382
  • stats Total Topics: 20542
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything