collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of June 14, 2021 = $1,847.64 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 47
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Prayer rooms & Netjer tolerance for pet smells  (Read 5974 times)

Prayer rooms & Netjer tolerance for pet smells
« on: November 25, 2010, 04:58:13 pm »

So I'm in kind of a funk, and I hope this is the right place for this.

When I moved into my boyfriend's house, he was kind enough to convert a spare bedroom into an art studio/prayer room for me.  It was great.  I painted a gazillion different colors, set up my altar, etc etc.  
Then it turns out that the cat I brought in with me was doing a number on his athsma/allergies, and he told me that he needed to stay in my room from now on.

Now, even though I clean the litter daily, and employ multiple spray/candles, if you keep a cat and all his...accessories in one small (not even 8x10!) room, IT WILL DEVELOP A SMELL.

So, seeing as I'm in the beginner's class, and going to be starting doing Senut soon, am I off to a very bad start?  I know hygiene is a big par of ritual - understandably! - and the last thing I want is the faint smell of cat pee mingling with incense :(

Should I keep trying to cover the smell?  Ask to move my altar(s) into the bedroom?  Or is it kind of a "oh well, it's not like she has a choice" situation?  The LAST thing I want to be is disrespectful to Netjer in ANY way.

If this question is stupid/inappropriate in any way, just let me know.  thanks :(

senebty,

Renee

Offline Siwy

• Shemsu
Re: Prayer rooms & Netjer tolerance for pet smells
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 05:48:54 pm »
This is not a stupid question at all.  Cats don't have a smell (unless the litterbox isn't changed periodically).  I have 2 kitties and what makes people allergic to cats is their dander.  Protien in the saliva that cats use to clean themesleves dries and is the irratant.  Most indoor/outdoor allergy meds will deal with this.

Otherwise, I don't know what to tell ya. ^^;
Siwyenbast "announce to Bast"

Sat Bast, Meryt Djehuty, Wesir, Heruakhty.

Things, as well as the gods are always dynamic, never static.  Things change, and to be static is no better than being eaten by monsters.
Don't just BE, DO!

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 07:27:47 pm »
I have, well, a few cats... and there is occasional smell of weewee in my home because some of them are special needs cats and have been known to pee outside the box.

Netjer never seems to mind this. But then, my Mums are Sekhmet and Bast, so go figure.
Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 08:20:16 am »
As the steward of two cats, I agree: funky smells happen. However, I find that if I keep the box clean and deodorized, it is much reduced. We use Feline Pine litter in our apartment. It's essentially pine sawdust with some natural clumping agents added, and it does a great job of diminishing smells.

I also use a product called "Nature's Miracle - Just For Cats" on those occasion when they do miss the box, have an accident, or otherwise stink the place up. It uses enzymes to naturally deodorize carpets and other areas.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 09:07:18 am »
Maybe the sprays are causing the cat to mark the area in competition.  How about just cleaning the catbox daily (well, twice a day if it's really bad, but it's only one cat) and see how that goes?  Have you tried a covered litter box?  I have noted that younger kittens have very pungent products--something to do with their metabolism.  Don't know whether you have a kitten or cat, but something to think about.  Any way you can get some fresh air circulation going?

There may have been times when the Temple of Bast wasn't pristine either.
"Bast makes me fortunate."

Sat Bast, mery Nut her Sekhmet-Hetheret
Certified Crazy Cat Lady
Semer-wati

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 01:20:51 pm »
Thanks everyone for your answers.

Ok.  He's an eleven year old cat.  The litter box is covered.  

I open the door & windows when I get home from work, and we moved a (huge) air freshener into the room, so that is helping a bit.

Also, good point about the cat perhaps competing against the smell of cleaners.

My main concern, though, was just that having in altar close to where the cat used the bathroom could come off as disrespectful.  From the sound of the replies, though, as long as I keep up with it, I'm in safe territory  :)

thanks again!

-R

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 02:23:29 pm »
Em-Hotep-Renee,

I love cats, and I think they are a true joy. In ancient times, is was noted by some Greek philosopher that the priest would keep cats in the temple compounds to 'ward away negative energies or spirits'. Also, keeping the cats around the temples was an act of hygiene! The temples were, in essence, a city's/town's local bank. It was from the temples granaries that the people would have been payed their rations of wheat. Having all this wheat around would enabitably atract vermin; and the cats would hunt the vermin; a kind of ancient 'swift' picker upper ;) . Though, in all seriousness, the cats were a great help to pest control in temples.

Though, the cats would not have been allowed inside the temple. well, at least not inside the naos: the heart of the inner temple where the statue of the Netjer resided. In this aspect, I would be concerned about having animals inside the shrine. If your Netjer does not mind the extra company, then I suppose you will be fine. It is just my personal opinion that the cat should not be in the same room as the shrine.

Senabty-Rh'ekh
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Shuwyt

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 02:55:48 pm »
Em hotep!

I'm kind of surprised that no one's landed specifically on the oh well, it's not like she has a choice response yet - when there've been other threads on non-ideal situations, it seems like the general consensus is kind of that Netjer understands, and will work with you if necessary (and your situation isn't one that I'd see as being total spatial impurity - it's one specific issue that, aside from the smell, doesn't 'contaminate' the entire environment so that there's no way at all of protecting the shrine from the effects). There are some Names I can think of Who might say, "I don't like this, I would like my shrine to be somewhere else," if you were divined as a child of or devoted specifically to that Name, but particularly if you're a beginner, I wouldn't expect that to happen as long as you're showing appropriate consideration otherwise.

I know I've seen other threads where it's mentioned that children and animals are basically exempt from purity requirements, so that it doesn't totally muck up your shrine time if your cat/toddler/whatever happens to wander in while you're doing Senut. Is it possible for you to, say, have the catbox on the opposite side of the room from the altar? Even if it's a small seperation (and I definitely wouldn't have them right next to each other), you've at least got a sense of it being there - you'll be able to cross to space between when you're going into/withdrawing from the altar.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Shuwyt »
Shuwytyinepu (Yinepu's Shadow)
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet, meryt Sokar-Wesir her Ra
Curiosity killed the - ooh! What's that?

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 05:16:32 pm »
Quote from: Shuwyt
I know I've seen other threads where it's mentioned that children and animals are basically exempt from purity requirements, so that it doesn't totally muck up your shrine time if your cat/toddler/whatever happens to wander in while you're doing Senut. Is it possible for you to, say, have the catbox on the opposite side of the room from the altar? Even if it's a small seperation (and I definitely wouldn't have them right next to each other), you've at least got a sense of it being there - you'll be able to cross to space between when you're going into/withdrawing from the altar.

This. I don't see that there would be a huge problem, as long as you are doing your best and working with what you have. They know we don't live in an ideal world, and that we do what we can. They'll definitely let you know if your arrangements are a problem.

Senebty!
Arieni
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 06:12:24 pm »
Ah, thank you Arieni and Shuwyt!  That was a big help!

Offline Baket

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 07:17:33 pm »
I fret with this all the time, since I have cats and dogs. Drives me crazy! lol (I have health problems so I get overwhelmed by the cleaning chores - one of my goals this year is to really work on purity though)
Fortunately the animals are not allowed in the room where the altar is, and the door stays closed. It's just a general sense of wishing my house was cleaner/less cluttered for a better spiritual experience.

I also use Feline Pine litter, but it seems with multiple cats that the freshness doesn't last very long. And the cats strow it everywhere! lol
Also "Get Serious" is another good cleaner to use.
Devotee of the Divine Felines and my darling Loki
http://www.zazzle.com/cattywompus

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 05:47:11 am »
Hotep, Renee.

I would say that Netjer would not find this disrespectful. You are obviously taking the matter seriously, and trying to keep things as pure as possible. (It's not like you're letting the litter tray get disgusting or anything). Animals are not capable of being disrespectful, and in my personal opinion Netjer LIKES animals. (There was a distinct feeling of amusement around when my ferret emerged unexpectedly from inside a chest of drawers while I was doing Senut the other day :) ).

Just my opinion.

Hey, we're in Beginner's Class together :).
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

Offline Seshagemseger

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 04:43:47 pm »
Quote from: Baketsekhmet
I also use Feline Pine litter, but it seems with multiple cats that the freshness doesn't last very long. And the cats strow it everywhere! lol

The scattering problem can be reduced somewhat with a top-entry litterbox.  We got one to stop the dog from snacking out of it :P
Child of Seshat
Beloved of Hethert, Serqet, and Shu
seshat.org / Facebook / LiveJournal

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3423
  • stats Total Posts: 302195
  • stats Total Topics: 20857
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 123
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal