collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: the netjer and addiction  (Read 6189 times)

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
the netjer and addiction
« on: November 26, 2010, 09:27:16 am »
Em Hotep!  I am not sure where this topic fits in best so please do forgive me if I've placed it in the wrong spot.

I am involved with 12 steps for food addiction and as an adult child of an alcoholic.  I would like to know if there are any of the Netjer who are known to help addicts and healing childhood wounds?  And are there certain prayers the Kemetic might say or rituals they might perform for help with these things?  I also wondered about how heka might help.  

My dad was an alcoholic.  He died 9 years ago.  Would he be able to help me with my own addiction?  If so, what is the proper way to approach him for help

Blessed Be!
Sat Aset-Serqet meryt Amun her Sekhmet-Hethert

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
Re: the netjer and addiction
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:25:31 am »
Em hotep!

I think that any of the healing Names would be appropriate, particularly Serqet and Sekhmet. If there are any particular Names you are especially close to or with whom you already have a relationship, they would definitely be good ones to ask for help. In this situation, it seems to me that offering pure water would be a good way to go. Everyone loves water. :D

I am a big fan of asking my ancestors for help, and I do generally recommend it for all sorts of situations. Your dad is a good place to start, but don't forget those older, perhaps unknown ancestors. All you need is a little spot you can make into a shrine (and it doesn't even have to be a permanent spot, though that is preferred) with photographs, a small candle, and a glass of water. Flowers and plants seem to be well appreciated too, as well as foods that they enjoyed in life. You don't have to do anything fancy, just talk with them, and listen for any messages they might send. I tend to "hear" from them in dreams more than anything.

I wish you well in your recovery, and pray that Netjer bless you with all the healing you need.

Senebty!
Arieni
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline Blissi

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 02:02:19 pm »
In the Egyptian prayer book, there is a small prayer to help with addictions, but really: you are more than capable of writing your own.
Good luck with recovery.

Offline Seshagemseger

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 04:33:24 pm »
Em hotep!

I'm told Serqet in particular is good at helping with issues of addiction.
Child of Seshat
Beloved of Hethert, Serqet, and Shu
seshat.org / Facebook / LiveJournal

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 05:34:52 pm »
Thanks to all of you.  I appreciate your responses.  

@Seshagemseger: I am looking up Serqet; I'm not familiar with her.
@Blissi: I'll look it up in the prayer book and thanks for the vote of confidence. :)
@Arienihethert: Thanks.  I am really just learning how to honor my ancestors' wisdom. And, its interesting, to think of because, for example, addiction is often genetic.

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:33:29 pm »
Em Hotep-

I feel your pain. I too am an addict. I am in a 12 step program for Drug addiction. I have like 116 days clean.

I pray to my MOM Sekhmet, since she has always helped me heal. Also to Serqet.

If you ever need to talk don't be shy, please email me

Nefersenet@aol.com

As addicts and believers of Netjer we have support with each other
Senebty,
Tutisenu
"Two make me Satisfied"
Danyi
Sat Djehuty her Sekhmet-Mut, meryt Yinepu-Wepwawet her Ptah-Sokar-Wesir

Your hand in my hand,
My soul inspired
My heart in bliss,
Because we go together.~excerpt~Egyptian Love Poem
http://www.facebook.com/Tutisenu  
Nefersenet@aol.com

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 08:39:22 pm »
As I said in the most recent mental health thread, I believe Set would be a good god to go to.  He would understand.

I too have problems with food.  I have problems with what I eat, how I eat, why I eat, when I eat...  I have the books and have attended some 12-step programs.

*hugs* I am with you on your journey in battling eating disorders. Binge eating is a disorder, right besides anorexia and bulimia.  All of them are horrific afflictions.
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 09:27:57 am »
Em hotep Vision!  *henu*

As has been mentioned Serqet specifically deals with addictions of all sorts (food, alchohol, drugs, internet, etc), as well as dealing with mental/spiritual healing  issues/non physical injuries such as emotional abuse or phobias.  You could also address such prayers to Sekhmet as She oversees healing/medical issues in general.  There is a short prayer in the Egyptian prayer book to Serqet for help with addictions, or you could write/come up with your own.  If you wish to give Her an offering, She accepts acidic things or things with a kick to them, so you could offer Her a lemon or lime, or tea such as mint tea or Lady Grey tea.  I have found both Sekhmet and Serqet to be similar in Their manner of dealing with people when in "healing mode" (i.e. They are there to help, and tend toward compassion/mother mode rather than agression/scary mode.  The one exception to that in both cases would be harm/damage done to one's self knowing full well what the concequences would be (i.e. taking up smoking knowing the health impacts, or being unwilling to deal with a smoking addiction, etc)).

In regards to approaching your ancestors for help, you can always do that.  ^_^  If it's something that is outside of their expertise or experience, they can ask other anscestors who may be able to provide assistance, or help with approaching the Names for assistance if that is needed.  You can approach your ancestors in your akhu shrine, or just pray/talk to them.  You can offer bread and cool water if not sure what else to offer to them.

Heka when dealing with mental/emotional issues might run along the lines of diverting your attention from the addiction (i.e. you don't think about drinking and thus are less likely to have a drink), or bolster your willpower making it easier to abstain from engaging in the addiction.

Hope that helps!
Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Priest of Nebt-het and Serqet
Beloved of Ptah and Tasenetnofret
revdwinterfeldt@kemet.org

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 03:43:51 pm »
Quote from: Imyutimuti
...or bolster your willpower making it easier to abstain from engaging in the addiction.

I would say that - while I'm not a psychiatrist or psychologist, or any type of mental illness health giver - addiction shows a lot of will power.  

Of course, I (am sure I, or think I) understand what you mean.

I have come to the conclusion that a lot of addictions, including eating disorders and perhaps even some obsessive compulsive disorders, are indeed ways to conquer control.  I wish to say I was told and read this somewhere, but - except from my personal therapist who told me regarding eating disorders and control - I do not have the source before me to tell you.

A lot of things in my own life is out of control - I am out of control.

As said, I eat tremendously, but it's not just about what and how much I eat.  I can and have gone days without eating in the past.  Then, when I just can't ignore such a simple everyday necessary function anymore, I go crazy with sweets and easily-found junk, because I need something *now*.  That's the what and when and how much.

There's also times when my emotions are way too high or way too low for me to comfortably handle.  Eating is a way to soothe these emotions.

I can control food.  Food doesn't talk back, it doesn't reject you or accept you.  It's your mind regarding the food that matters.  (And even that I have a hard time controlling.)  Food is easily enough obtained - notice though that even while I say it's 'food', I'm mainly speaking about junk food, sweet food - pastries are food-of-choice in my particular case.

And then comes the physical and mental aspects of what I do to 'solve' mental issues.

... Let us also know that I shop for the same, various reasons.  Not always for food.

So - yeah, self-control is a problem and yet an abstract strength.  It is not absent at all.  (Another reason why I add Set to the list of deities to consult.)

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 05:14:36 pm »
Em hotep, all,

Let's try to keep this thread on the original topic of how Netjer can help us cope with addictions and leave the other addiction-related issues (which are way more complicated than this forum can support) to more appropriate venues (PMs, other more recovery-specific forums). I am all for people sharing recovery experiences and information, but diverting this topic isn't going to help someone who just wants to know Who is best to pray to in this situation.

Thanks and Senebty,

Your friendly neighborhood moderator
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 10:15:38 am »
I only thought to help.  Perhaps I didn't.  If I didn't, I am sorry to the original poster.

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 10:38:27 am »
Quote from: Seta
I only thought to help.  Perhaps I didn't.  If I didn't, I am sorry to the original poster.

Hotep!

*henu*

((((hugs)))) no apology necessary.  :)

i got a lot of what you said.  just so ya know.

i don't think the moderator meant that you said anything harmful, just that we would be going way off-topic if we began discussing the topic of addiction specifically.  she/he may have been concerned we would share publicly forgetting we might share info we might later regret as it felt too personal.  but i get all you said and appreciate all you (and everyone else) shared.

<3
Senebty

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 12:04:17 pm »
Quote from: Seta

As visionofisis said, I meant only and exactly what I said. The general topic of addiction is not on topic for the thread, is not an appropriate topic for this forum, and sharing such private things in a public forum read by who knows how many people is a questionable idea. There is absolutely no injury here, just keeping the forum tidy and on topic.

And for future reference, I'm a she. :)

Senebty,
Arieni
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 12:05:44 pm by Arienihethert »

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal