Register
collapse collapse

* Donation Status

0%
Current donation status as of February 22, 2021 = $0.00 of $2,500
Final Donations for the period ending February 21st 2021 = $2,314.76 of $2,500 (93%) $185.24 of Rollover Fund used.
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Setting up a shrine to Netjer  (Read 5949 times)

Setting up a shrine to Netjer
« on: November 28, 2010, 04:49:56 am »
Em hotep :)

I'd like to set up a very small shrine to the entirety of Netjer in my bedroom, but I have a few questions before I go about it. I hope that nobody minds my asking.

- I'm dealing with very limited space and funds. I'm thinking of a clear glass dish of water with a floating white tea candle, on top of a white cloth - would this be an appropriate offering to the whole of Netjer? (in other words, would this piss anybody off?)

- I've heard that you shouldn't have your Kemetic shrine near to your bed, because it can addle your sleeping patterns. Is that really true, and if so, how true? I have a queen sized bed which takes up over half of my bedroom space (I'm only ever in bed, I like having a bedroom made out of bed), and the only fesible place for a shrine would be my bookcase, which is right at the foot of my bed. Is there a chance of Bad Stuff Happening if I have it so close?

Thanks so much if you answer ~ <3

Edit: While I'm here, and assuming everything is a-okay to use a dish of water as an offering, I have a question about the appropriate disposal of the water when it needs to be changed. Would anyName get particularly offended if I used it to water a tree that is planted over my old dog's grave? It just seems very circle-of-life-y and I like the sentiment, but again ... they're Gods, I hardly want to ruffle their feathers.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:53:05 am by Firebird »

Re: Setting up a shrine to Netjer
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 08:17:26 am »
If the only space you have is by your bed, then so be it.  Mine is maybe four feet away from my bed and I haven't had any problems.  The big issue here is if it's going to be distracting to you, same principle as having your TV in your bedroom.

Watering a tree with the offering water is fine and many of us use it to water plants.

Don't worry too much about pissing off Netjer, there is less chance of that than you'd think.
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

Offline Iaityinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:55:07 am »
Ditto everything Set said.

I have my main shrine in my bedroom. All that is in my bedroom, bar the built in wardrobe, is my king sized bed (with bed head) amd my shrine.  My shrine is the furtherest I can get it away from my bed which is just under 4 feet away from where my head is when I am sleeping.  Due to young children, there is no other place in my house I can fesibly put my main shrine without exposing it to high traffic areas or grabby, not 100% supervised hands that could break stuff.

I get around this by putting my images of Netjer away at the end of the day (before I go to bed) and putting them back out again in the morning.  (on some occasions they stay out over night, especially when I want that extra protection when Hubby is away).

When my libation bowl is ready to be tipped out, I tip it directly out of the window next to my shrine, onto the plants in front of the window.  I've not received any complaints yet.

I think Netjer look more at the intent and effort rather than the semantics of it all, so try not to get too stressed over it all.
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet Meryt Satet her Amun-Ra
Iait (with an i, not an L): Adoring

I offer affordable guidance readings, distant healing and developmental courses.  Please take a look - Readings by Caroline

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:37:12 am »
My bedroom is *full* of shrines and God-statues. No doom has befallen me yet. Some people do get issues with it causing a lot of spiritual noise, but I've never had anything like that.

For issues of purity, a ritually pure shrine (which this one is unlikely to be, so don't worry :3) shouldn't really be in a place like a bedroom unless it can be put away, covered, etc. I put a cloth of silk over mine. Simple but it works.

Offline Rev. Sema'a

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:38:41 am »
Em hotep, Firebird!

I think that sounds like a lovely shrine, and a very lovely offering. Watering your tree after the offering has been made sounds very lovely as well. I like to pour water from libations into potted plants or pour it on the ground outside if possible.

Having a shrine near your bed can cause odd dreams, but one solution is to cover the shrine with a cloth or to devise a kind of screen for the shrine. I had to keep my shrine next to my bed for a while, when I was living in a dorm, and I devised a small cardboard screen that I decorated and used to close the shrine when I was sleeping or otherwise felt the need.

I hope that helps!

Senebty,
Sobeq
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut, Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 09:55:34 am »
Muahahhaha! My shrine is UNDER my bed! Yes, on occasion I get wicked interesting dreams, but that is easily solved if I ask politely for the dreams to be withheld or I can just change my sleeping position where my head is on the opposite side of the bed. Netjer understands limited space. They'll let you know They're personal preferances if need be. ^_^
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:06:42 am »
Em hotep, Firebird! It sounds like a very beautiful and appropriate offering. To me, it's very evocative of zep tepi, the moment of creation: the waters of the flood and the sun arising from them on the ben-ben mound. ^_^

Senebty,

Shefyt

Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 03:48:13 pm »
Thank you, everybody. I'm glad that I was mostly worried about nothing, haha. ^^

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 08:26:30 pm »
I have a statue of Set on my bedside table. I find his presence, especially when contending with persistent nightmares, is increased. No doom yet. ;)

I think Netjer understands when we have limited space.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Siwy

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 09:43:35 pm »
the only thing I could see contention with is the cloth's fabric, which is best made out of a natural plant fiber such as linen, cotton or rayon or a blend of them.  Your local fabric shop'll usually carry it, and since Austrailia's going into summer, you'll prolly find it on sale.  If you plan oin getting a floating candle, see if you can find em made out of soy or beeswax or even palm wax ( found this one with a search:  http://www.save-on-crafts.com/beeswax3.html ).  I think the lotus shape'd give a nice touch. :)
Siwyenbast "announce to Bast"

Sat Bast, Meryt Djehuty, Wesir, Heruakhty.

Things, as well as the gods are always dynamic, never static.  Things change, and to be static is no better than being eaten by monsters.
Don't just BE, DO!

Offline Rev. Raheri

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 06:36:12 am »
Em hotep Firebird!

Your shrine sounds very Zen-like, which means wesir would love it. It sounds fantastic to me! As for purity and such, I wouldn't get too hung up on that sort of thing right now with your shrine. Choose the items that feel best for you, and that you would think work out well. Listen to Netjer. They will direct you on what to do.

Senebty,

Raheri
Son of Wesir-Sokar | Heri-sesheta
Awakening in Amenti | revmatt@kemet.org

"O my Mother Nut, stretch Yourself over me,
that I may be placed among the imperishable stars which are in You, and that I may never die."

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 07:52:13 am »
Em hotep!

I love your idea of the glass dish with floating candle as an offering.  It sounds very classy and beautiful.

In my last apartment, my shrines were in my bedroom.  I really had no other place for them, and it didn't really affect my sleep at all.  Now I do have a shrine room (slash home office), but I still keep my travel shrine in my bedroom on my dresser fairly near to my bed.  I find it a comfort, having this shrine nearby when I sleep.  But as Sobeq said, if it does bother your sleep, you can just place a nice cloth over Their statues, or rig up a door for your bookshelf using cardboard or card stock paper.  I bet something like that could be done up very nicely!

My libation water, when my dish gets full, I use to water the flowers I get for Hethert every week.

Netjer can feel kind of intimidating, I know. :) But They love us, and They certainly love the attention, so chances of you inadvertently offending Them by doing something thoughtful and sweet are slim to none. :)
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 10:40:34 pm »
I have my shrine facing my bed, its good to see Bast and Hethert first thing in the morning. :)
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3348
  • stats Total Posts: 300633
  • stats Total Topics: 20679
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955