collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: What can you use if you don't have a cabinet for deity  (Read 6036 times)

What can you use if you don't have a cabinet for deity
« on: November 29, 2010, 01:21:22 am »
Em hotep!

I have a question for all you wonderful Kemetic people. What if you don't have a cabinet for deity? None of the statues that I have have a cabinet so what do I do? I was thinking about dressing it in cloth but I don't know if that's okay. Let me know, I'm dying to find out the answer.
I follow the rhythm of Egypt.

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: What can you use if you don't have a cabinet for deity
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 02:16:44 am »
Em hotep!

As I understand it, the only icons that need a cabinet are those that have been "opened" using a special ritual, such as our w'ab priests use.  As I am not a priest, mine have never been in a cabinet.  No One has complained yet.  :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:17:05 am by Senushemi »
Sat Bast her Djehuty her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 06:28:05 am »
Em hotep!

On my Senut shrine, the statue of Wesir is covered by a cloth, and that has worked for him. I uncover the statues during Senut, and cover them back up at the end. This has worked well.

Senebty,

Raheri
Sa Wesir-Sokar, mery Nut her Djehuty
Heri-sesheta Wesir

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 07:12:15 am »
Em hotep!

For years I had an open shrine, just statues and things sitting out on a table, and that received no complaints in the five years that was up. I didn't even cover up my statue, but it was in a room that didn't get very much traffic except from me. I only switched to a cabinet when I got a cat who insisted on knocking over everything (and I even had to put a lock on the cabinet, he was so good at getting into things).

Senebty,
Arieni
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 07:33:01 am »
My personal shrine is out in the open space, and They love it. They prefer it, actually; when I moved and could re-do my shrines in any way They wanted at all, They wanted Their statues to be be out where They could see and be seen.  They are on shelves in my small second bedroom, which is my home office and shrine room.

I find it quite lovely, having Them out where I can offer a henu, or pause and reflect, or just have a quick sit-and-talk without always having much formality and ado.  

And I don't know how She does it, but Hethert always manages to finagle the just-right location where the morning sun hits Her statue's face.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 08:37:23 am »
Yep, my "male" shrine, with Wepwawet, Min & Wesir is the first thing you see when you walk into my house, right in the foyer. Wepwawet especially loves it there. And as Taqai said, it IS nice to have more visibility, and availability. It's always possible to do more informal things quite often, and then do something more formal, well, as often as you like. At least thats the way I do it.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:20:34 am »
I've had differing requests from different gods about whether they want an open shrine or not. Setekh likes to be in the open, normally, he likes to be the first thing you see when you walk in- he wants to be seen. Where as Aset is more okay with being put into the case, and Asar seems to prefer being in the case. Different strokes, different folks. I have found that it changes from time to time- who wants to be in the case, and who doesn't.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline The Tai'awepwawet System

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 10:45:46 am »
My regular shrines are open, statues eeeeeverywhere. Coverings, I don't think so. GODS GODS GODS.
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
Meset Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhety, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, her Sekhmet-Hethert
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴
Our Blog + Links to Carrd and Incense Spreadsheet

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 11:21:52 am »
Mine are actually sort of 'caged in' underneath my loft bed. By this I mean that you can't see the shrine at all if you aren't under the bed because I have it against a wall, the bed above it, a wall to the side of it, and then a tapestry to the other side of it blocking anyone's view. More or less, yes, they are just kind of THERE but I don't think my Mother or Father want to be cooped up in a small box/cabinet all day (with me anyway). YMMV.
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 11:43:20 am »
Quote from: Henytenwepwawet
GODS GODS GODS.

Haaa...ok, good to know I'm not the only one....
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 07:16:50 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 11:04:04 pm »
I have statues of both Bast and Hethert in my bedroom I love to look at them. I have to say it is Bast who catches the sun's light every morning she glistens with her shiny necklace. Wesir my Father requested a wood Shrine cabinet however right now his statue is in a box with Yinepu's statue. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Taysat »
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 10:53:12 am »
I hope that your able to get cabinet. I have Yinepu (it's hard, sometimes, to write his name instead of Anubis) shrine set up. My mother ordered him because she really liked him. However she gave him to me and I thought that he looked pretty cool. I have a shrine photo posted, which I hope hasn't been removed, in the shrine discussion.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304030
  • stats Total Topics: 21099
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal