collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 49
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Greetings All  (Read 10339 times)

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
Re: Greetings All
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 07:16:58 pm »
Em hotep Hayate!  *henu*

Welcome to the boards and I hope you enjoy your time here!  ^_^

Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Sa Nebthet her Serqet
Mery Ptah her Tasenetnofret

Offline Rev. Mose

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Het-Netjer (Temple Director)
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 09:04:00 pm »
Quote from: Baketsekhmet
Em hotep and welcome! :)
I'm curious what you thought was restrictive about KO?

Well, the kemet.org web site straight out said that it is a fairly conservative religion which follows as exactly as possible the old ways.  That and other things mentioned on the site make it seem a rather restrictive belief system.  After 20 years of catholicism, those weren't exactly words of encouragement.  There's also the fact that KO has a designated spiritual leader and defined levels of advancement or classification.  I was looking for something more open ended without any of that regretful overhead.  Granted that there's certainly nothing wrong with having a spiritual leader and assigned roles in a community, but at first glance, it can make KO look more like a cult than anything else (which I found the most discouraging).

As I've started to look more into KO, it (fortunately) seems less and less like a cult group fanatically following a religious leader (gotta be careful what you come across on the net).  So, I'm here to find out what it's really all about and learn what I can.
𓅃𓈌𓏏𓏭𓄟
Rev. Heruakhetymose (Born of Heruakhety)
Daughter of Heruakhety, Beloved of Ra, Set, and Yinepu-Wepwawet
Contact Info
Kemetic Storytellers

Offline Baket

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 05:38:36 pm »
Thank you for your honesty! :)
I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find the personal side of our faith (what's done by the general membership), as opposed to the state side (what's done at the main temple and by the priests) is pretty open. (They just have a few more rules and standards to go by, in my understanding)
Anything one might consider "strict" or "conservative" is actually very reasonable (and it's usually in regards to purity). I was raised standard Christian (primarily Baptist by my best guess), and in comparison this faith seems worlds apart.
We're pretty much all equal here, regardless of the fancy titles. Some members have felt called to serve in roles with more responsibilities than others. You are free to choose your level of involvement. Think of it as a history lesson transposed on modern living - and if you feel comfortable with it, we are glad to help.
We're also all human and like to disagree and debate like any normal person, lol. I personally have yet to witness any fanaticism in my roughly 10 years of being here.
Hemet (AUS) welcomes our opinions and questions. She's very approachable and down to earth. This isn't a scriptural religion, and she always encourages us to think for ourselves.
I do hope you will enjoy your time here, and feel free to ask questions!
Devotee of the Divine Felines and my darling Loki
http://www.zazzle.com/cattywompus

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 03:27:41 pm »
Em hotep!

Sadly, it seems more like conservative has indeed come to mean restrictive, which may *or* may not ever be the case depending on context. As Baket pointed out, we are most conservative with regard to the performance and practice of the state rituals, which are the purview of the priests. Every member can set up their personal household shrines and altars, if they wish to have one, in whatever way seems right for them, and except for certain parts of the Kemetic Orthodox shrine rite (which people can learn about in either our Beginners class or as written in the _Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook_ written by Rev. Tamara Siuda our Nisut, who is also a degreed Egyptologist and can therefore read and translate ancient texts by which we have our state rituals, people here can also pray to the gods in any way seems right for them.

Our levels are not "assigned roles" as such, nor are they specifically for "advancement," in the sense that we acknolwedge it is entirely possible for a Remetj or Shemsu to have as profound and deep and significantly meaningful relationship with the gods as can any priest. The "levels" mean more about one's commitment to involvement and service within the community. Even priesthood for us is more about service to the community, rather than any kind of "advancement" in knowledge or relationship with the gods. SHemsu-Ankh do not have any "assigned roles" except for their own commitment to acting as examples and possibly "elders" of the faith, but that in no way should ever be taken to infer that they are "better" at being Kemetic than the guests on these forums, nor are they better Kemetic Orthodox than any Remetj just because they are SHemsu-Ankh (just as examples).
The only requirement we have is that to be a priest of our faith, whether lay priest or ordained clergy, one must go through the rites of passage from Remetj to Shemsu etc. But that is not to "assign roles," as much as to ensure that if one is going to serve the people of this faith as a priest (note the service is to the people NOT the gods, althgouh the priests do serve the gods but on behalf of the people not for their own benefit) then hopefully one gets to know the people of the faith by going through all those public rites of passage and follows their commitment accordingly.

We welcome folks to these forums precisely so they can find out for themselves just what we are all about!

Senebty
Sedjemes
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Rev. Mose

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Het-Netjer (Temple Director)
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 10:19:08 pm »
Thank you both.  Yes, so far I have been pleasantly surprised with what I've found.  I've been reading a lot of posts on the forums and things really do seem to be much more open than I thought they would be. In the end it all seems to come down to what it really should -- your relationship with your gods.  It's always good to have prayer and reflection held to higher standard than strict adhesion to written down rules that were made up by men thousands of years ago.  Yes, certainly they provide guidance, but I do not believe that anything ever written by man is the absolute be-all end-all answer.

As far as the titles are concerned, I did get the impression very early on that they were just that -- titles with extra responsibility.  That's something which I'm very amenable towards.  It also helped a good deal listening to the podcasts (even though they are a year old now).

I've sent in an application for the beginner's class in February, but in the meantime I went ahead and purchased the Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook.  It has provided a good bit of insight as well.

It's good to be here and thanks again for the welcome.  I'll be posting questions as they come to me.  ^.^
𓅃𓈌𓏏𓏭𓄟
Rev. Heruakhetymose (Born of Heruakhety)
Daughter of Heruakhety, Beloved of Ra, Set, and Yinepu-Wepwawet
Contact Info
Kemetic Storytellers

Offline Rev. Neferuhethert

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 12:51:36 am »
A very warm welcome to the Boards, Hayatae!  
Rev. NeferuHethert
Sat Hethert/Sekhmet, meryt Ra her Djehuty her Yinepu/Wepwawet
Heryt seshta and Mut-netjer Hethert

Offline HehiAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 01:36:56 pm »
Welcome indeed, do enjoy!

Hehi
Hehi

Sa Aset-Serqet,her Hekatawy1(AUS!)
meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Aset makes you bright,and makes  fair ways of vindication against your foes,and those who would have judgment against you in the realm of the dead"

Coffin Texts

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3261
  • stats Total Posts: 298706
  • stats Total Topics: 20483
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything