Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 90
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: translation help  (Read 6877 times)

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
translation help
« on: December 08, 2010, 11:52:36 am »
Em Hotep!

How would I say "Praise Mother" and "Praise my Mother" (as in Divine Mother) in the Ancient Egyptian language? I bet someone can help me out with it.

I am also wondering if "Alla" means anything in Ancient Egyptian or if any of the goddesses of Egypt are connected to Alla the Hindu Mother Goddess or the Nigerian tribe's Goddess Ala/Alla.  

I am also hoping to begin gathering what names I can of Aset.  Knowing Her as the Goddess of 10,000 Names is really awesome to me.  I suspect 10,000 is metaphorical for "infinite" and I'm wondering if anyone knows if that is how it is meant to be understood.

If anyone knows of any sources where I can find some of Her names, please pass it on to me.
Sat Aset-Serqet meryt Amun her Sekhmet-Hethert

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Re: translation help
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 12:02:30 pm »
Quote from: visionsofisis

I am also hoping to begin gathering what names I can of Aset.  Knowing Her as the Goddess of 10,000 Names is really awesome to me.  I suspect 10,000 is metaphorical for "infinite" and I'm wondering if anyone knows if that is how it is meant to be understood.

If anyone knows of any sources where I can find some of Her names, please pass it on to me.

Well, Aset as "The Goddess of 10,000 Names" is not an Egyptian concept, but rather a Roman one. There are varying opinions about whether Aset and Isis are really one and the same. Either way, definitely a much later development.

As for the 10,000 names bit, the Romans viewed Her as an "All-Mother" sorta goddess, as by their period She had somewhat absorbed attributes in Kemet from other Goddesses.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Raheri

• Rev. Matt - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 12:21:05 pm »
Em hotep!

My most educated guess on translating "Praise Mother" would be "Dua Mut." As for Alla, I can say I never heard this term used before. Hope this helps.

Raheri
Son of Wesir | Heri-sesheta
Awakening in Amenti

"O my Mother Nut, stretch Yourself over me,
that I may be placed among the imperishable stars which are in You, and that I may not die."

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 12:28:36 pm »
Hotep

This webpage by the Wesir Asetmeri/Kate Jonsson, one of our House Akhu when she lived, has some research about the titles/epithets of "Isis."

http://www.philae.nu/philae/aspects.html

I think the notion of 10,000 names comes from the Hellenistic aretology hymns, although some of the epithets certainly date from pharaonic times.

"Isis" itself is only the Anglicized transliteration of the Greek form of the Egyptian name of this goddess (all the more familiar names are precisely that.) How the deities were perceived throughout the pharaonic through the Roman period and beyond have actually less to do with the name by which we call them now and simply more to do with the interactions desired by the worshippers.

For example---"Aset" had long been associated with Wesir, Min, and Heru in funerary and in mother-of-the-god and in "Throne" ways. In Pyramid and Coffin Texts, the earliest writings sources wherein she appears, and on earlier stelae reliefs, She is linked with Wesir and Nebthet, as mourning goddesses, as the goddess who brought life back to WEsir long enough to become pregnant with his son and eventual heir to the throne. In coffins after the New Kingdom She and Nebthet appear at foot and head of the coffins in association with the "Wesir N" the deceased.

Only during the Ptolemaic period did the Greeks decide to "adopt" Aset, and link Her with protection for sailors, general motherhood, and magical initiations.

R. Witt's book "Isis in the Ancient World" is a great source of the movement of Aset/Isis from pharaonic times into the Roman time.

Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 12:38:10 pm »
Heh, this is my favorite:

Aset in (every) place where her Spirit desires to be...
Timu

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 02:40:57 pm »
Hotep!

Thank you!  Wow, you know your stuff! It is such a blessing to learn from people like you who are living this path so beautifully.  :)

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 02:42:54 pm »
Quote from: Ta_Imu_Aset
Heh, this is my favorite:

Aset in (every) place where her Spirit desires to be...

That is how She is in my life.  Wherever I go, I sense Her Spirit is around me.  I think of Her as Mother and I feel safe because of Her Maternal Presence.  :)

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 02:44:39 pm »
Quote from: Raheri
Em hotep!

My most educated guess on translating "Praise Mother" would be "Dua Mut." As for Alla, I can say I never heard this term used before. Hope this helps.

Raheri

Thanks! Mut is a name of a Netjer also, right?  But is it also the word for mother?  Is it the general word for mother or the term used for Divine Mother?

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 02:44:47 pm »
Hotep

My personal knowledge only comes from years of reading, which I love to do. I pretty much devour anything related to the ancient Near East, Egypt and Rome :)

It is not necessary within Kemetic Orthodoxy to know anything about history of Egypt, or in which temples what gods were worshipped, etc.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 02:50:50 pm »
If I am not mistaken, Mut is the word for mother as well. Much like how "Aset" means throne, but also refers to a deity, or how Ma'at is a word and a god, etc.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 03:06:49 pm »
Em Hotep *henu*

Mut is the genral word for mother.

Another word for mother would be mst

Senebty
Tanebet
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 03:51:57 pm »
Quote from: Sedjemes

I think the notion of 10,000 names comes from the Hellenistic aretology hymns, although some of the epithets certainly date from pharaonic times.

Interesting Sedjemes, where could I read up more on this?
Timu

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 01:15:39 am »
Quote from: Ta_Imu_Aset
Quote from: Sedjemes

Interesting Sedjemes, where could I read up more on this?

Louis V Zabkar's book Hymns to Isis in Her Temple of Philae has four of those Aretologies translated in the final chapter.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 01:31:53 am by TahekerutAset »
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra her Mut

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 07:01:39 am »
How is Mut pronounced?  Is the "u" like the "oo" in moon or the "u" in put?

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 07:05:35 am »

Louis V Zabkar's book Hymns to Isis in Her Temple of Philae has four of those Aretologies translated in the final chapter.

I wish it was in print.  Sounds like an awesome book.  Maybe I can ILL it.  

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3161
  • stats Total Posts: 295194
  • stats Total Topics: 20154
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955