collapse collapse

* Donation Status

52%
Current donation status as of September 3, 2021 = $1,302.97 of $2,500 or 52%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 29
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Offerings to Hethert  (Read 32661 times)

Offline Kadu

• Divined Remetj
Re: Offerings to Hethert
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 03:08:41 pm »
Hi, I'm not a remetj yet so I have a question: How do I know if the Netjeru accept my offering? Thanks :)
Son of [color:grey]Wepwawet-Yinepu[/color] &  [color:red]Hethert-Sekhmet[/color], Beloved of [color:blue]Djehuty[/color] & [color:navy]Nut[/color]

Facebook

Twitter

MSN: meeting.me@hotmail.com

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 03:12:00 pm »
Em hotep Kadu!

Personally, I think Netjer accepts pretty much anything given with an honest and open heart.  If you are sincere in your offer They will appreciate it.  :)

One thing I've heard is that food/drink tastes better after offering it.  For example, I offered a sausage, peppers & onions sandwich one night, and it was a somewhat spicy sausage to begin with (which I don't care for) but when I ate it, there was no spiciness at all.  It was great!
Sat Bast her Djehuty her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 03:25:21 pm »
Quote from: Sekhenetnut
Lindemans has very good beer, I offer their apple version to Bes regularly. Heck, all Belgian beer is awesome *is biased*!

Noooot neccesarily, I'd have to agree with you....Delirium Tremens is one of my faves! And yeah, their fruit Lambics are RIDICULOUS!
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Kadu

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 04:30:24 pm »
Thank you Senushemi :) I sent my application to the beginner's group last month but I don't received the answer yet :( I feel so ansious to learn and to have experiences with Netjer and I started this by myself with researches about the kemetic faith, and prayers and offerings to the Netjeru while I don't start the beginner's classes :)
Son of [color:grey]Wepwawet-Yinepu[/color] &  [color:red]Hethert-Sekhmet[/color], Beloved of [color:blue]Djehuty[/color] & [color:navy]Nut[/color]

Facebook

Twitter

MSN: meeting.me@hotmail.com

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 06:55:18 pm »
Hotep Kadu!  *henu*

Review of, and responses to the beginner's class applications aren't dealt with until shortly before the new class starts (within a few weeks of it starting).  There is currently a class that is wrapping up, so applications should be in the review process within a few weeks.

Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Priest of Nebt-het and Serqet
Beloved of Ptah and Tasenetnofret
revdwinterfeldt@kemet.org

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 04:19:34 pm »
Quote from: Kadu
Hi, I'm not a remetj yet so I have a question: How do I know if the Netjeru accept my offering? Thanks :)

Em hotep!

As Senushemi pointed out, many of us find sometimes that flavors of foods will change after being offered.  When offering, I will take a moment to meditate on the Name being offered to, and usually I'll get a "warm fuzzy" feeling.  Very rarely, I'll get a feeling that the Name didn't care for the offering.  For me personally, it's a matter of continually opening up with the Names, and gradually the lines of communication will open up so I will have a better understanding of Their likes or dislikes with regards to offerings.

I will also try to connect with the Name while contemplating and preparing offerings.  (Personally, I find this *super* important.)  An example, and bringing it back around to HetHert, while grocery shopping and planning an offering for Her, I saw beef, thought "I wonder if She would like... " and nope.  I got a very distinct "Absolutely not" feeling from Her.  Though I know others have had good results from offering HetHert beef, I will not myself for this reason.  She loves the honey, and the dairy, but no flesh of cow.

Just keep talking to Them, and listening.  We all "hear" them in different ways.  And there are times where life shoves cotton in our ears.  Its up to us to pull that cotton out!

Senebty!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:20:24 pm by Ankhetbast »
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 10:17:53 am »
Em hotep, Kadu.

When I offer to the Gods, I hold my hands, palm-side down, over whatever I'm offering.  I then close my eyes, say out loud what I'm offering, then visulaize it in my head.  After a second or so, my hands get a strange feeling in them, as if energy is being drawn up through my fingers, and returned through my palms.  This is how I know my offering has been acccepted.

Sometimes the feeling is very intense, sometime's it's barely there or not there at all.  This is how I know when something is liked or not.

Anyway, this is just my way of making offerings.  I think you will find there are as many ways of offering and judging the God's receptiveness as there are Kemetic followers.

Blessings and Best Wishes,

Tahai
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Qefathethert

• Shemsu
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 12:17:34 am »
*bump*
I've also found that She seems to like this milk chocolate bar from Dagoba that has chai spices in it. It's decadent, and She seems to totally dig it.
And after offering it, I taste the ginger in it more. Weird. :)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Bast-Mut her Set.
Devoted to Khonsu

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 04:40:52 pm »
Bast loooooves that one too.  Mmmm, chai chocolate. ^_^

Shefyt

Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Paser

• Shemsu
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 02:45:10 pm »
Giving this a bump since I had my RPD and recent naming (loving both).  I feel that mead which is a honey wine seems to be a good offering.  Does anyone have any thoughts on it?  I love the flowers idea and I am always working on some sort of art project.

Another question... I work on paintings but not in the area of my shrine.  I actually work on paintings in my bathroom due to the messiness and lack of room.  If I include my painting time as part of my Senut, would it be offensive if I left the area of my shrine and went to the art area?  They are relatively close and I can still see my shrine from my bathroom?  I know this all sounds pretty weird.

Any advice would be helpfull.
Paserhethert
"Noble Man of Hethert"
Son to Hethert-Sekhmet
Beloved of Mut, Bast, and Heru-Sa-Aset

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 03:53:02 pm »
I think mead would be a fantastic offering.

As to the painting question, I say give it a try and see what happens. The worst thing that could happen is that she gives you the hairy eyeball and you don't do it again. I find her to be very forgiving when it's an honest attempt to do something nice for her, so I don't think you've got anything to lose by trying.

Of course, you could always tell her in shrine "I offer you the work I'll do on this painting today," but then do the actual painting-offering as a separate event. It's still a good offering. I offer my morning run to either Mom or another Name, which clearly can't be done in shrine--would that I had that much space for a shrine!

Senebty!
Arieni
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 04:02:10 pm »
Turquoise, cypress, copper, sweet cakes, honey and milk, are just a few that come to mind. Id be weary of making beer offerings: I believe the myth of man's destruction which has been attributes to sekhemet was actually Hathor, so the beer offering might invoke memories of past mistakes.

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 05:01:42 pm »
Quote from: Amunptah
Turquoise, cypress, copper, sweet cakes, honey and milk, are just a few that come to mind. Id be weary of making beer offerings: I believe the myth of man's destruction which has been attributes to sekhemet was actually Hathor, so the beer offering might invoke memories of past mistakes.

Hotep,

While there are some definate syncrentizations between Hethert and Sekhmet, it was definately Sekhmet as the Eye of Ra that was brought forth to terrorize humanity for what disrespect they had done to the Names.
There are those that have offered beer to Sekhmet, and those that have offered beer to Hethert with no ill effects. In fact, beer -is- a good offering for Sekhmet as far as I know. She's pretty cognitive of what She did, and accepts that part of Herself as a necessary action.

Granted, this is my own point of view on this issue, and considering up until recently that I was deathly afraid of Sekhmet because of the very reason listed above, I stand by my words. I think of stories and mths as guidelines of moral compas and action, as that was what they were meant to be in antiquity.

It's also important to be skeptical of source material for stories. Many of them can be and have been mistranslated in the past, and more recent academic versions of myths and stories are preferable to webpages.

Just some food for thought.

~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2011, 06:51:02 pm »
Yes, I'm aware that this is not the conventional understanding, by all means go on believing as you do. The gods are able to see through ones intentions, not to mention defend themselves. I must admit that it concerns me how confidently you speak on behalf of larger beings, who's worship varied considerably across a longer period of time than the human mind can truly consider. Instead, we refer to a seemingly current deity named Hathor, but this resolves nothing from her previous incarnations of Inanna or Ishtar. The facts in Egyptian mythology are that all god forms are dual and balance each other out, however, I'm not aware of any corresponding negatives within her specific archetype. It is customary for Egyptian myths to propagandize their patron gods leaving out the details that might bring about shame or sadness for the sake of preserving conventional worship. I hope this clarifies my previous comments, and no my theories are not built upon google results.

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2011, 08:14:51 pm »
Beer is an offering with a long and glorious ancient pedigree, so if anyone has a problem offering it, I think it more likely that it's not good for the person offering, not for the god (or at least not either of these two). For instance, alcoholics should under no circumstances offer alcoholic drinks, because that's not a nice thing for them anymore. Also, while a glass of wine makes a nice offering, giving Hethert a bottle of something and then polishing it off all at once is also bad. In my experience, Hethert and Sekhmet both prefer their offerings to be not damaging to the health of the offeror.

I've offered much beer, wine, and cocktails over the years, and none of it has upset either Hethert or Sekhmet. I offer probably more, volume-wise, of other items and actions, but alcoholic beverages are definitely a solid part of my offerings arsenal. I doubt there would have been an inebriation festival for Hethert in antiquity if alcohol offended her. Beer for Sekhmet is popular because that was one of the means of placating her.

Amunptah, please start another thread if you would like to start a tangential conversation. Let's please keep this one on the subject of offerings to Hethert. Thanks!
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

* Most Recent Topics

topic Hello
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Asetmehheri
September 20, 2021, 01:38:38 pm
topic National Museum of Egyptian Civilisation
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
Senuwierneheh
September 19, 2021, 12:57:37 am
topic Help a fledgling out!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Gaspard