Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 67
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Who is most like God from the Bible, Torah, Quran?  (Read 10867 times)

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
Who is most like God from the Bible, Torah, Quran?
« on: December 10, 2010, 11:51:13 am »
Em Hotep!

Dua Netjer!  I have a couple things to say on this.

Is there a Name who is most like the God from Judaism, Christianity and Islam?

I wonder if former Christians, Jews and Muslims had a certain deity who reminds them of the view of God in their former faith.

I have felt it deeply in a connection with Tem and Amen recently.  I find both of them are very willing to help with the bumps in the road when I experience a little insecurity.  They seem eager to help me in the transition and it is so awesome to have their support.

Has anyone else had experiences like this?

Hopefully, later today, I will post about my experiences with Netjer in the Beginner forum.  I am in awe and my heart feels so warm, festive and alive.  Dua Netjer!
Sat Aset-Serqet meryt Amun her Sekhmet-Hethert

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Devo

• Remetj
Re: Who is most like God from the Bible, Torah, Quran?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 11:58:09 am »
I was never able to connect with the god of the Abrahamic faiths. Because of this, I Would say that none of the pagan gods really seems very "God" like. But that's just me.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 12:28:05 pm »
Well, I was kinda "born pagan", when I was about 11/12, after bible reading sessions with my mom, I would assert that "god is a woman", and most of what I read just didn't seem "right" to me....so.

No, not really. Along with Dev, I never really connected much with the Abrahamic religions. I never had much like for the "jealous god" thing.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 12:47:37 pm »
Em hotpe, VisionOfIsis.

Tem, the Self-Created, is the closest Name we have to Netjer in Its entirety, so I would think Tem would be closest to the Abrahamic version of an all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful God.  Its not an exact match, though, as KO does not believe any of the Names are All-anything.  

I caution you when looking for 'fits' between Gods from different religions.  Yes, similarities exist, but trying to match Gods to Gods is a path that most often leads to frustration and confusion.  

Imagine if you were doing a jigsaw puzzle, and it was missing a piece or two, so you went to another puzzle to find a piece that would fit.  You might succeed in finding the right shape, but the image would be completely wrong.

Hope this helps,

Tahai
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 12:55:42 pm »
Quote from: Tahai

Imagine if you were doing a jigsaw puzzle, and it was missing a piece or two, so you went to another puzzle to find a piece that would fit.  You might succeed in finding the right shape, but the image would be completely wrong.

Hope this helps,

Tahai

Oh that's a good analogy Tahai!
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 01:14:47 pm »
Thanks, Timu!  I'm rather proud of that one :blush:
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Senytmenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 02:14:52 pm »
Em hotep,

I agree with Tahai, although I think the Hebrews borrowed aspects of Tem, Amun and Ptah in their concept of Jehovah.  All three of these gods spoke Creation into existance from the Nun, which is similar to the void and the creation story described in Genesis.

Among Amun's many titles, He is also known as the Hidden God Who manifests in the wind.  There is an account in the Old Testament where Jehovah appears in a "whirlwind," and he was very particular about not being seen, aside from an interesting account where Moses was put in a cleft in some rocks and allowed to see Jehovah's "hind parts" as he passed by.

However, aside from these borrowed aspects, I think that's where the similarities end.

Senebty!
Senut
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Senytmenu »
Senytmenu (The Two Endure)
Sat Sekhmet & Wepwawet
Meryt Bast, Set & Aset
Heri-seshta Sekhmet

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 02:53:28 pm »
In my experience, Amun-Ra feels the closest (but still not the same) to HaShem.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 02:58:26 pm »
Hotep!

Devo, I relate to that issue of being unable to connect.  I had many years where I felt the same way.  And I think I have always feared God who is described in the Bible.  I heard somewhere if you fear God, you can't love God.  Even though I am a dervish, I have pushed God away out of fear.  And I'd get glimpses, but now...

its beyond description.  :)

My relationship with Netjer is very loving though and it has blossomed so quickly.  I reached out to them and they have been so amazingly present.  Dua Netjer!

Quote from: Devo
I was never able to connect with the god of the Abrahamic faiths. Because of this, I Would say that none of the pagan gods really seems very "God" like. But that's just me.

-Devo

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 03:16:44 pm »
@Tahai- I understand what you're saying completely.  My view of the Divine is that none of us can grasp the Divine in Its entirety.
It would either blow us away or we would be so overwhelmed by It, we would feel totally confused by what It was.  So It reaches out to all of us in whatever way we can understand it. That is why I relate so much to Kemetic Orthodoxy.  How blessed we are to meet so many beautiful Names.  I believe that the God of the Bible is what some relate to so I can't reject it.  I also believe there are mystics who can show the Hidden in the Bible (ie-Paramhansa Yogananda's interpretations of verses from the Bible really opened my eyes).  I think I'm unusual though, I see the Divine now wherever I look.  Maybe this is because of the path I've taken.  It is so wonderful though to be able to see the Truth shining through. I have only come to this place recently.  I think it is because Netjer are teaching me to see the Truth in All Names.  Wow. Its is definitely what they call an
"all natural high".

@Bestekeni - What does HaShem mean?  Is it the Name of God you use or did use previously?  Have you had a relationship with Shekhinah? (I am assuming you were/are Jewish, but forgive me if I'm wrong).  I also have to get back to our dervish thread.  :)

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline ubenetsenu

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 03:26:46 pm »
Quote from: Tahai
I caution you when looking for 'fits' between Gods from different religions.  Yes, similarities exist, but trying to match Gods to Gods is a path that most often leads to frustration and confusion.  

i like this description :) on the other hand, sometimes i like trying to compare gods to one another in a venn diagram sort of way, because i think you can learn as much from the differences that points out as the similarities - like the difference between cramming the wrong puzzle piece into the space and laying it over it to get a better idea of where the sticky-out parts go.  ...i think i'm going to stop before this metaphor runs away from me.
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset
𓁴𓁳
tarot and heka by request

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 04:18:13 pm »
HaShem is what Jews call God.  It's not permissible to use His name in informal speech.  My relationship with the Abrahamic god is one of respect and gratitude.  He is not my god, but He raised me lovingly until I found the Ones I belong to.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bestekeni »
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 04:26:55 pm »
Em Hotep. I don't know much about Judaism, but I was thrilled when I was at a thrift shop recently and found a great copy of the Zohar with some good commentary included.  I haven't started studying it yet; its not exactly light reading.  ;)

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 04:29:08 pm »
Haha, I just had to read Ghazzali for class, myself.  I feel you ;P
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐

Offline Sekhmetbitu

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 10:09:41 pm »
Quote from: Bestekeni
My relationship with the Abrahamic god is one of respect and gratitude.  He is not my god, but He raised me lovingly until I found the Ones I belong to.  

I like that way of seeing things. It gives me much to think about.
Sekhmetbitu "Sekhmet's (Good) Charachter"

[color:#CC0000]Sat Sekhmet[/color]
[color:#990099]Meryt Mut & Khenty-Amentiu[/color]

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2937
  • stats Total Posts: 286250
  • stats Total Topics: 19411
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything