collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 52
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Who is most like God from the Bible, Torah, Quran?  (Read 11069 times)

Re: Who is most like God from the Bible, Torah, Quran?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 09:42:23 am »
Well, as a former christian, I don't think you could make a fair comparison between the Judeo-Christian God and the Netjer.

IMO, the god of the Bible was rather jealous, unjust, and if one reads the Bible from cover to cover and takes Him at His Word, does not seem to abide by the law of Ma'at. That's just my opinion, though. :)

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 10:51:49 am »
I have to agree with Tek, personally.

I was raised in a very strict Protestant household, and while I no longer follow that tradition, I owe it a debt of gratitude for giving me an ethical upbringing and instilling a sense of discipline. I have found paths that now suit me better, but my personal attitude toward what I have left behind me is that of a grateful student having taken leave of a teacher whose curriculum is no longer sufficient or best suited.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

I provide writing, editing, and tutoring services in exchange for donations to the House. PM me for details.

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 10:52:50 am »
Quote from: gracesong
Well, as a former christian, I don't think you could make a fair comparison between the Judeo-Christian God and the Netjer.

IMO, the god of the Bible was rather jealous, unjust, and if one reads the Bible from cover to cover and takes Him at His Word, does not seem to abide by the law of Ma'at. That's just my opinion, though. :)

Hotep!

I never thought of God in the Bible and Ma'at that way.  Very interesting perspective.  Being a beginner, I know very little about the netjeru.  Do any of the names ever break the laws of Ma'at?  Besides, Set, I mean, because from what I have read about Him, He has been guilty of it.

Be well...  

Sat Aset-Serqet meryt Amun her Sekhmet-Hethert

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 10:57:10 am »
Hotep, Visionsofisis!

My perspective (and this has been hotly debated) is that Set does not violate ma'at. What he does is appropriate, though it is often not palatable. He is the bitter medicine that cures the illness or the knife that amputates the gangrenous limb. He's change when you hate it but it's good for you.

Even in his most famous act -- the slaying of Wesir and subsequent harrying of Heru Sa Aset -- he is acting in a way that brings about positive change. Wesir can't be the god of the dead without dying, and his son Heru can't develop into a strong and worthy king unless he's tested.

Does it suck? Yup. But is it also necessary? Also yup. It's easy to mistake that kind of kick-you-in-the-mouth tough love with violating ma'at, though. From my perhaps skewed perspective, though, there's an awful big difference. YMMV.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

I provide writing, editing, and tutoring services in exchange for donations to the House. PM me for details.

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 10:58:22 am »
 @Khesretitui

I just clicked on a link on your website for your book of poems.  You are extremely talented.  I am looking forward to reading the rest of the collection.

Also, I added you to my friends list at LJ.

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 11:16:23 am »
Quote from: Khesretitui
Hotep, Visionsofisis!

My perspective (and this has been hotly debated) is that Set does not violate ma'at. What he does is appropriate, though it is often not palatable. He is the bitter medicine that cures the illness or the knife that amputates the gangrenous limb. He's change when you hate it but it's good for you.

Even in his most famous act -- the slaying of Wesir and subsequent harrying of Heru Sa Aset -- he is acting in a way that brings about positive change. Wesir can't be the god of the dead without dying, and his son Heru can't develop into a strong and worthy king unless he's tested.

Does it suck? Yup. But is it also necessary? Also yup. It's easy to mistake that kind of kick-you-in-the-mouth tough love with violating ma'at, though. From my perhaps skewed perspective, though, there's an awful big difference. YMMV.

Hotep!

Thank you!  I was wondering if Set were like Kali in Hinduism.  She is like the one who comes in to help us see when one door closes another opens.  The "destruction" is often to make "construction" of something better or at least equally good.  Is that kind of what Set is like?

*henu

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 12:08:07 pm »
That's been my experience with him, in a way. Set is often described as having the duties he does because only he is strong enough to perform them. Others will probably have their own input in that regard, and I have heard somewhat similar (thought not identical) things said about Sekhmet. Her children are far more qualified to talk about that than I am, though.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 01:39:25 pm »
Hotep, Vision...

In regards to Set, I recently posted this comment on facebook.  I feel it is appropriate to this side topic :D.

"Metabolism is a combination of physical and chemical processes called anabolism and catabolism. Anabolism is the constructive phase of metabolism in which body cells synthesize protoplasm for growth and repair. Catabolism is the destructive phase of metabolism in which complex substances are broken down into simpler compounds producing energy which is essential for the proper functioning of body cells. Together, these processes distribute nutrients which are absorbed into the blood after digestion."  hmmm...so, Set would be considered catabolic. Nice.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Tahai »
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 03:26:09 pm »
While there are several Netjeru who might remind me of Yahweh/Elohim, but I am acutely aware that they are not him. There's some vast difference between them, in the energy of them. He is just so very... not one of the Netjeru.
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, her Hethert-Amenti
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice • Self-care Hethert-Amenti Advocate
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓁥𓇼

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 08:57:20 pm »
When I spoke with the House's nisut, Rev. Tamara Siuda, years ago, she said that she believed Yahweh, or the Judeo-Christian god, was a mixture of Set and Amun-Ra.
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 09:26:53 pm »
Hmm...
Well that's nice to know. :)
Kehawi
Sa Amun-Ra her Set
Mery Serqet her Heru-wer

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2010, 07:08:07 pm »
Quote from: Seta
When I spoke with the House's nisut, Rev. Tamara Siuda, years ago, she said that she believed Yahweh, or the Judeo-Christian god, was a mixture of Set and Amun-Ra.

I think I have heard something along these lines before, but I don't remember the source, or the event, or whether Hemet (AUS) said it, to be honest. Do you happen to remember if she gave you some source material? In my experience, FWIW, it's always best to provide this, especially when paraphrasing or quoting someone in authority. That way there's no chance of misinterpretation of anyone.

As I remember, when this type of thing has been brought up before, it wasn't so much a "YHWH = Amun-Ra + Set" thing in an absolute sense, but rather that these entities perform similar functions and have similar personalities. That much I will admit to, at least from the Set side. Amun-Ra I have no interaction with. Ultimately, though, I don't remember anyone ever saying that one is a direct swap for the other. Quite the contrary, as I recall.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Khesretitui »
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Offline Senedjem

• Shemsu
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2010, 09:17:41 pm »
Quote from: visionsofisis
Em Hotep!

Dua Netjer!  I have a couple things to say on this.

Is there a Name who is most like the God from Judaism, Christianity and Islam?

I wonder if former Christians, Jews and Muslims had a certain deity who reminds them of the view of God in their former faith.

I have felt it deeply in a connection with Tem and Amen recently.  I find both of them are very willing to help with the bumps in the road when I experience a little insecurity.  They seem eager to help me in the transition and it is so awesome to have their support.

Has anyone else had experiences like this?

Hopefully, later today, I will post about my experiences with Netjer in the Beginner forum.  I am in awe and my heart feels so warm, festive and alive.  Dua Netjer!

I personally don't think the Abrahamic god is one of the Netjeru. The Netjeru aren't jealous gods, and they don't punish to the third and forth generation, etc. That aside, I think the Abrahamic god might fit best with Amun-Ra.

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 09:40:07 pm »
I can think of none other than Apep. Everything about Christianity screams isfet to me. It's mistaken existence, original sin and it's original cause, the blatant misogyny and racism, the up and down cursing of Kemet throughout the entirety of it's so called holy book, the idea of God tortured, naked and bleeding, publicly humiliated and reduced to nothing, and it's subsequent glorification. The uplifting of that which is ignorant and weak, that it might "confound the strength and wisdom of the world." The first Christians were surrounded on every side by Kemet, Rome, Greece and the like. No wonder theirs is a jealous god.

Christianity's primary objective is the complete spread of Christianity, thus enabling the end of times(ISFET ALERT!) Meanwhile it is content with deceiving all the world into having "faith" that knowledge, sex, wealth, strength, and pride(all things near and dear to Netjer) are the enemy's workings. The whole bible is so contrived that it's patchwork is visible by the light of Christians' disagreement over which books should or shouldn't be part of it. This they call the "word of god." A book with such words in it isn't fit for Amun-Ra's garbage can.

Quote from: Khesretitui
...I was raised in a very strict Protestant household...my personal attitude toward what I have left behind me is that of a grateful student having taken leave of a teacher whose curriculum is no longer sufficient or best suited.

If not for my appreciation of Set's function I would envy you. My experience was that of an escaped slave sprinting desperately away from a den of vampire-zombies. Frantically I ripped off those poison leeches of guilt and hypocrisy that seek to fuse with their host and become like tumors. Praise Ra for the fire of Montu that burned the remnants from the inside out and Serqet for administering the vaccine because that right there is some scary stuff to have almost succumbed to.

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 09:08:23 am »
Em hotep, Amundjin.

On this forum we do not engage in the denigration of other faiths. While I respect that you feel very strongly about your experience with Christianity, this forum is not the place for this kind of behavior or speech.

By the conventions of this community and past precedent, this post amounts to "faith bashing," and as such is not acceptable under any circumstances.

This thread is now locked. Please address any concerns you may have with me via PM.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

* Most Recent Topics

topic Hello
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Sehedjef
September 21, 2019, 05:56:30 pm
topic Reality Check?
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Tasedjebbast
September 20, 2019, 01:35:51 pm
topic Important Holidays
[[PUBLIC] Kemetic Orthodox Q&A]
Storm