collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 44
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Symbol of the Scarab  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
Symbol of the Scarab
« on: December 14, 2010, 03:55:55 pm »
Em hotep, everyone!

There are many mythologies behind the meaning of the scarab in ancient Kemet. I thought it'd be neat to share with each other those stories/myths that we have heard surrounding the scarab. I also thought it'd be interesting to see what the scarab means to us individually both in historical contexts as well as the present day. I'll start!

The most widely spread story that I've heard concerning the scarab is that it pushes Ra's boat through the sky. I'm not sure where I heard this, but I heard it when I was little and thought it was a neat concept. As far as what the scarab means to me, I suppose the best quote for my feelings toward this symbol would be, "Keep on truckin'!"

Senebty and much love,
Satsenu
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Devo

• Remetj
Re: Symbol of the Scarab
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 04:33:55 pm »
While the book it old, this might be interesting for those wanting to read up on scarabs: http://books.google.com/books?id=NgZFAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=scarabs+isaac+myer&source=bl&ots=QRz9Y5Zgv7&sig=XqLejY0Obd-Kf6_trSxNan8SQMw&hl=en&ei=T_AHTaHLD8T7lwfontjQDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

I have heard that the scarab rolled the sun across the sky- the way it rolls dung balls across the ground. Because it's young are born of the dung ball, apparently from nowhere, the scarab is normally associated with creation, esp. self creation (i.e. Atum). I've also read that Kephre is a form of Atum and Ra- being the sun at a certain point in the sky (like how Horus is the... sunrise? I think? And at sunset, Ra is an old man?).

I personally see the scarab as being tough (due to it's outer shell), durable, and regenerative. I find them to be interesting creatures, and find them to be rather pretty.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 07:38:12 pm »
When I think of scarabs, I think of "becoming." I also think of Wenem's song "First of On" ("He is Khepera in the morning. . ."). I greet the dawn nearly every day, so the sacred bug that lifts up the sun in the eastern sky is probably my most favorite form of Ra. :)

There's also this cute little children's book that now always comes to mind when the subject of scarabs arises.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Arienihethert »
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline Rev. Sema'a

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 01:19:57 pm »
Em hotep!

I most strongly associate the scarab with Khepera, and the idea of renewal and Zep Tepi. I do have a big disconnect between the actual insect, however, and the stylized scarabs most often seen in Kemetic art. Beetles just don't do much for me - too many legs! *shudder* :crazy:

Senebty,
Sobeq
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen
Priest of Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Mut, Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304033
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9