collapse collapse

* Donation Status

51%
Current donation status as of October 18, 2021 = $1,830.69 of $2,500 or 73%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 33
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: How do you pray?  (Read 7044 times)

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
How do you pray?
« on: January 12, 2011, 03:44:33 pm »
Em hotep! *henu*

When asked to pray for someone or something, how do you pray?  It could be someone you know in your day to day life, a prayer request here on the forums, or any other form of request.  Does it vary depending on the specific topic or who the requester is or how it is requested?  

Do you silently pray for a moment wherever you are at?  Do you go to shrine?  Do you light a candle or incense?  Do you make offerings?

I'm interested in hearing the different methods that people utilize in their prayers.

Senebty,

Ankhet
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: How do you pray?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 03:53:09 pm »
My prayers definitely vary.  Partly, it depends on how I'm feeling at the time.  Dealing with fibromyalgia, there are days when I simply am quite run down and find it hard to kneel at shrine and (more importantly) focus.  More often than not, I will mute music playing (unless it isn't distracting such as classical), bow my head for a moment, and say a silent prayer.  At times, this will be praying to a specific Name for intervention/assistance (ie Sekhmet if someone is ill, Bast if someone is depressed, Yinepu if someone has passed West).  At other times, I will reach out to Netjer as a whole.  

Those times that I take a prayer to shrine are those cases in which I am particularly struck by the situation (hearing of child abuse is often one such case, as example).  These times, I will always light a tea-light and let it burn til gone.  Often I will also add incense as an offering.  

Senebty!
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 04:12:07 pm »
It definitely depends.  Most of the time I just offer a quick prayer wherever I am at the moment the need is brought to my attention.  

If it's something really big, I'll take time later to light a candle and burn some incense.  

Something huge gets something in writing added to the candle and incense.  

Of course, everyone's idea of "really big" and "huge" is going to vary.  :)
Sat Bast her Djehuty her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Seshagemseger

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 04:18:52 pm »
Em hotep!

I'll pray in one of a few different ways.

-- When I say that I'm praying for someone, or when I or someone I care about needs something, I usually just pray on the spot, silently, not usually addressing a specific Name of Netjer.

-- During prayer heka chats or the prayers at the opening of a Dua, I'll do the same.

-- When I'm already in shrine (for the W'ab rite and/or senut) is when I usually give thanks, and pray for whatever things are on my mind at the time.

-- If there's something REALLY big to address and I have the opportunity, I will go to shrine, give an offering and usually address a specific Name.
Child of Seshat
Beloved of Hethert, Serqet, and Shu
seshat.org / Facebook / LiveJournal

Offline Mehetibeminpu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 07:06:34 am »
  ^  ^
  |  |

What he said.  :)
Sat  Yinepu/Wepwawet
Meryt Hethert/Sekhmet her Serqet/Aset
Heri-Sesheta Yinepu

Offline Senytmenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 05:58:43 pm »
Em hotep, Ankhetbast,

Good topic!  Myself, I'm a big fan of "spontaneous veneration" and will do whatever I feel is called for in the situation.

Very often I feel as though my prayers are conversations with my Parents as well.  Sometimes They initiate them, and sometimes I do.  I feel that such informal contacts are important to "keep the lines open" outside of formal rituals, like the Senut or State Shrine Rites.

Senebty!
Senut
Senytmenu (The Two Endure)
Sat Sekhmet & Wepwawet
Meryt Bast, Set & Aset
Heri-seshta Sekhmet

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 03:23:01 pm »
Thank you everyone!  I hope this helps others consider how they pray.  I'd love to hear more replies as well!

Senyt... I too am a fan of "spontaneous veneration".  It really does help keep the communication open, though it can never be a "substitute" for senut and other formal prayer, IMHO.  I find a combination really helps me start to "hear" Bast (and other Names) that much more!

Senebty!
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Offline Rev. Sema'a

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 05:51:43 pm »
Em hotep!

You know, I follow a similar model to most other people. I start with headbowing, and a few words to the Names now and then, until the situation is resolved. Next up is prayer during Senut/W'ab rite. Then there's going into shrine for a specific issue outside of ritual.

Like Shemi said, everyone will have a different approach to what to do for each intention - and I think that's true for everyone. I wish I had the ability to go to shrine for every intention, but realistically, purity and time constraints don't allow it. So I try to keep those who need prayers in my thoughts, and do what I can as I can.

Senebty,
Sobeq
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen
Priest of Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Mut, Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 06:44:42 pm »
Hotep Ankhet!  *henu*

I follow a similar path to Sesha and Mehet.  Basically when I reply to someone that I'm praying for them, I'll stop and send off a quick prayer (unless I'm at the office).  If it's something big or I feel it needs extra "oomph"  ^_^  I'll make a note of it and address it in shrine.

Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Priest of Nebt-het and Serqet
Beloved of Ptah and Tasenetnofret
revdwinterfeldt@kemet.org

Offline Darytessekhmet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Prayer Requests Forums)
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 11:13:47 pm »
I pray for all those in need when I do senut.  When I read the prayer requests, I almost always pray on the spot for whatever is needed.  Most often I go to my Mom for the majority of things, especially people's health issues, but pray to others such as Wesir for someone's ka.  I often address Min for people who need financial help.

I do occasionally make separate offerings and shrine time for bigger things
Daughter of Sekhmet and Nisut Hekatawy(AUS)
W'abet Nekhen sehotep.tu ib-es yim-ef, The Shrine in Which Her Heart is Appeased

Her Father controls Sekhmet, Sekhmet subdues evil, Sekhmet controls Her temper
Even small rivers keep the lands green and the oceans wet.

Offline Baket

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 02:46:26 pm »
Daryt, I'm curious about you addressing Min for finance-related prayers ... that is an interesting thought.
Devotee of the Divine Felines and my darling Loki
http://www.zazzle.com/cattywompus

Offline Darytessekhmet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Prayer Requests Forums)
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 03:02:40 pm »
Hey, how can you go wrong with a fertility God? ;)
Daughter of Sekhmet and Nisut Hekatawy(AUS)
W'abet Nekhen sehotep.tu ib-es yim-ef, The Shrine in Which Her Heart is Appeased

Her Father controls Sekhmet, Sekhmet subdues evil, Sekhmet controls Her temper
Even small rivers keep the lands green and the oceans wet.

Offline Baket

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 03:54:52 pm »
Heehee, I was wondering if you were also thinking fertility=wealth, or, alternatively, that we hope to reap the efforts of what we sow. :)
Devotee of the Divine Felines and my darling Loki
http://www.zazzle.com/cattywompus

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3484
  • stats Total Posts: 303561
  • stats Total Topics: 21040
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal