collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: walking 2 paths  (Read 9679 times)

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
walking 2 paths
« on: December 22, 2010, 06:27:59 am »
Em Hotep!

I am practicing both the Kemetic religion and Sufism.  It appears there are quite a few who blend the Kemetic path with another path.  Just another case of and/both instead of either/or.  :)  I think that and/or attitude opens minds and hearts to be inclusive.

I have a few questions though.  Here they are:

Why is there no blending of the two paths?  

I'm hoping some here would share their experiences about how they separate their other religion from the Kemetic religion.  

Is it ok to worship Aset as Divine Mother while saying my daily Sufi prayers?  And maybe explain why or why not.

I know I asked this, but I need to be reminded (sorry, I have some memory issues).  Can my Sufi guides be included as Sebau?  And again why or why not?

Senebty

Sat Aset-Serqet meryt Amun her Sekhmet-Hethert

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Tanebet

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Sebau (Education Director), Semer-Wati
  • Administrator
Re: walking 2 paths
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 06:59:47 am »
Em hotep *henu*

Everyone who teaches you something can be your Sebau.

Personally I would never blend different paths and there are a few reasons for that
1) Each pantheon has in my opinion a different energy and they might not mix well
2) Each path has different traditions, different purity rules, different kinds of worship, different rules about offerings and not all of those might fit together.
3) I find it more respectful to approach and worship a Deity accordingly to the traditions and rules of that Pantheon.
But that's just my opinion

Senebty
Tanebet

Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Sekhenetnut

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:28:59 am »
What Tanebet said ;D

For me, making the effort to worship each Deity in the way of Their own tradition shows my respect for Them as seperate Beings.
I used to be an eclectic Wiccan back in the day and it was how I learned that blending of paths doesn't work for me. I prefer to keep my pantheons seperate and my shrines (Hellenic, Kemetic and Espiritismo) apart.
Sekhenetnut |Brought together by Nut
Sat Nut meryt Mut her Bes!

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:50:37 am »
Hotep!  I am getting it now.  And I like that it is also something you both do as an act of reverence.  It clears up some problems I was having with practicing parts of both my paths.

@Sekhenetnut  I hadn't heard of Espiritismo so I googled it.  Are there any websites you'd know of where I can learn more about it.  It looks very interesting.

Thanks to you both for your help and your replies.

Senebty

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 08:06:31 am »
Tanebet said it well. While I do self-identify as syncretist, I don't actually "blend" my traditions into some form of meta-tradition. When I do senut, it's for Dad. When I blot, it's for the Aesir. When I light candles for Ezili Danto, it's all about her. There ARE parallels galore between my paths and gods, and inevitably I do gain more insight from one tradition by being involved in another.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Tasen

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 08:17:55 am »
@ Shezatwepwawet ... You explained it so very well also!  TY!  Y'all are clearing up some issues I was having.  It felt like I was trying to be in two places at once.  Now I see I can let go of doing things in a way that feels unnatural.  Just make the time and space for both paths.  It makes so much sense.

Senebty

Blog Breath of Isis
Blip Vision of Isis
Care2 Henu2Love
Twitter Path to Peace

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 08:25:42 am »
Well, I am just a spiritual harlot of sorts (LOL!!). I guess I am one of the few who does "blend" paths in some way. Though I don't really consider it blending paths... the way I see it is that I follow my own path, which has elements of Kemeticism, Heathenry, Wicca, and Hinduism.

It's taken me a while to get to the point where I can admit to the Wiccan influence. A lot of people somewhat mindlessly blast Wicca, I've found. But what the heck, I'll be honest here.
Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 09:05:29 am »
I have so many different practices, I was inspired to call what I do "Infinitrad"...haa.

But seriously, I tend to keep them all pretty seperate, my Wiccan view of things, combined with a somewhat scientific filter, in the frame of Kemeticism, with a slant toward the "practice" aspect of hoodoo, is how I generally roll. Honestly, all the gods I "communicate with" on a regular basis are pretty varied. Hera, Ixchel, Brigid, Yemaya-all have a place with me (secondary to Aset, Wepwawet & Renenutet, They all know that).

I've found that Aset encourages my Wiccan activities, because my growth would not happen in the same way if I didn't have it. I need it, so She fully pushes me to do my best there. I fully support blending if it's "done right", and you don't lose sight of the fact that they are all valid paths in and of themselves and should be treated as such from the start. Cherry picking things here and there out of faiths and practices isn't always helpful. Blending, (again, when done right), is actually a harder road. At least I think so.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Brooklynfan

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 09:09:26 am »
I think in the end it hinges on your particular relationship with Netjer and the other deities you worship and what they want you to do.  I dont tend to mix Pantheons myself, except for the odd occasion where a particular deity 'claims' something that was technically meant for someone else, or something of that effect, but I have found that most deities from different pantheons prefer to e worshiped in their traditional manner, or in a particular manner to themselves.  For example, i would never burn an offering to the Netjer, but I know that a couple of the Greek deities I honour would be extremely insulted if I consumed or discarded their offerings.

But then again, there are some deities that really don't care, so long as you are 'paying attention' for lack of a better term.  As I said, IMHO it really depends on who you are dealing with and how they want you to work with them.

Personally, I would ask those who you Honour and see what they would like for you to do.  To be completely honest, I think that blending your paths will be difficult at best, due to the characteristics of the paths, but in the end, that decision is best left between yourself and the deities involved

But thats just me, others may vary

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:10:47 am by Brooklynfan »
"You see, those old stories aren’t through with us. No matter how many different names or masks we might wear... They’re just not finished with us yet."

"AVITOS JUVAMUS HONORES."
(We Uphold our Ancient Honours)

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 09:11:59 am »
Quote from: Ta_Imu_Aset
I have so many different practices, I was inspired to call what I do "Infinitrad"...haa.

Cherry picking things here and there out of faiths and practices isn't always helpful. Blending, (again, when done right), is actually a harder road. At least I think so.

lol, i like the idea of "infinitrad".

Speaking just for myself, I understand what you are saying here. But I would like to suggest a difference between "cherry picking", which to me implies left brain decision making ("Hmmm, this seems like it might be useful to me, so I think I'll take this ritual from such and such tradition") and allowing the Gods and Goddesses (or what have you) to have Their way in your life.

What I guess I am trying to say is that I don't feel I "picked" Durga, for instance. I feel more that She picked me. Same way with Thor. If I had set out to "cherry pick" a deity from the Norse tradition, it likely would have been Freyja. I work with her too but Thor is my "patron" which was a surprise to me. But that's how it is and over the years I have come to understand it.

To me there is a difference between that and blending Deities or traditions just because it seems like a cool thing to do. I try to be respectful with my blending of ways... but ultimately I am obedient to what the Deities tell me, not to what someone else's tradition may say is right (though I certainly respect others who choose to follow specific traditions).

Offline Sekhenetnut

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 09:18:04 am »
The Espiritismo is new for me too do I'm still learning, I'm all about La Madama and it's pretty hard to find info on her. I'll pm you with links.

Before I came to Kemetic Orthodoxy I followed Neos Alexandria, a tradition which attempts to reconstruct worship of Hellenic and Egyptian Deities at the time of Alexander the Great when those paths were apparantly succesfully blended. It was extremely interesting and offers another view on the Deities.
Blending can be done, but it's not easy. Unfortunately, I know nothing of Sufism so I can't advice on that.
Sekhenetnut |Brought together by Nut
Sat Nut meryt Mut her Bes!

Offline Sobekemiti

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 09:38:50 am »
To be honest, I don't think I'm the sort of person who could ever stick with one path anyway. Both Sobek and Djehuty encourage my spiritual wandering and Djehuty occasionally throws obstacles in my path or leads me in interesting directions; He introduced me to Ganesha, after all. Aset, too, is leading me in interesting directions back to Wiccan-inspired paganism and other things. I don't feel like I'm 'cherry picking', just following where They lead.

I also feel this sort of path is a lot harder than some like to think it is, especially if you want to do it right and respect the paths and deities you're working with. And also learn to listen to where you're being led and what the Gods are trying to teach you. That's been my experience anyway.
Sobekemiti ('Sobek is my Daddy') | Genderfluid (they/them) | Sau Apprentice
mes-en-Sobek Shedety
meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Aset, Djehuty, her Wepwawet
Per Sebek (new url) | Emiti's carrd

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 03:01:05 pm »
Yes, blending paths can be more difficult than just sticking to one. It is tempting, if you are into the study of religions, to fall prey to "eclecticism" for the sake of itself... whereas I try to make sure something really resonates with me, and is totally approved by all the Gods and Goddesses I work with, before adopting it. This can make life confusing. For instance I often struggle with diet and whether or not it is more proper for me to be vegetarianism, as Hinduism is pretty clear about that, or to follow other inclinations that allow for meat eating and even allow for it to be an offering. That is just one example and I am sure there are many more dilemmas that one can encounter by blending spiritual traditions, not to say answers can't be found, but it takes much consideration and mindfulness.

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 03:55:55 pm »
Em hotep!

I really like this question and the discussions I've read so far!

I don't personally practice two religions side by side, but rather, I incorporate a few of my paths into my Kemetic Orthodox religion. I am an active lifelong student and practitioner of   shamanism, although I tend to lean more toward the Native American style of it. I also openly work with crystal and energy healing (as well as protection work) and on occasion dabble in some witch craft (mainly charms rather than spells). For me, everything just flows together nicely. If I were to cut out one thing from all of what I do, my Kemetic way of life would feel very much depleted and empty. For me, each path enhances the experiences of what I go through. My Father, Wepwawet, encourages me (constantly and loudly *grin*) to practice shamanism and both He and my Mother, Bast, really like me working with crystals and energies. Bast is more the one gently encouraging me to work with charms and some herbs.

Senebty and lots of love,
Satsenu
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Qefathethert

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 05:23:12 pm »
Yes, this is the never-ending discussion on eclecticism, to do or not to do. :) I actually, when I first left christianity and came to my first point on my pagan/other spirituality path (Stregheria) I was very anti-eclecticism, viewing it all as "fluff-bunny Wiccan nonsense" (no offense to anyone here, this was my ill-informed, former opinion).
Then I had Shiva smack me upside my head. Whhaaaa? X-D This was even AFTER I decided it was dishonest of me to practice Italian Craft, not being Italian, and trying to fit myself in with Celtic deities (being Brit-Isle Mutt). He kind of burned up all my left-brained notions of my spirit being tied to what I physically was. So I kept Diana and Shiva, and kept on my own little journey, and am now residing with Erzulie Dantor, and Oshun, and I'm pretty sure Oshun lead me back to Hethert. I have been interested in Hethert and other Kemetic deities for ages, but for some reason...I don't know, shy? to start a conversation. But in popping Oshun's card from the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot up on my Goddess shrine, Hethert has barreled back into my life, full force. Maybe they're sisters, in some way!
I totally agree with respecting the context and background of any and all deities/practices you employ in your spiritual journeys, and do what you feel is best. In my experience, anything done from an honest and open heart towards Love and Spirit is going to find the right place and acceptance with any deity.
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Bast-Mut her Set.
Devoted to Khonsu

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal