collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Travel Shrines  (Read 36371 times)

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
Travel Shrines
« on: December 22, 2010, 02:28:51 pm »
Em hotep!

Inspired by the "WANT TO SEE YOUR SHRINE PICTURES" thread, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share pictures of your travel shrines? I am currently on a journey to put together my own travel shrine and am looking for some ideas. I can't wait to see all of your amazing mini shrines!

Senebty and lots of love,
Satsenu
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Devo

• Remetj
Re: Travel Shrines
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 02:32:43 pm »
http://pics.livejournal.com/seshemherkekew/pic/0000tx9f/g8

This is my travel shrine. Well, my travel shrine for Aset. Stays on my wallet, so she goes with me everywhere.

I have a portable altar that I take with me on occaision, though I don't have any pictures of it. It's nothing special. I quit performing fancy rituals, so I don't really use it anymore.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 05:42:55 pm »
I don't have enough money for a wooden shrine cabinet or Butsudan so I have to stick to travel size altars. I usually buy a unfinished wood box from Michaels but this time I'm thinking of buying jewelry box with Wesir. :)

Osiris, Egyptian God of the Underworld Relic Box  
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:18:08 pm »
I'm planning on making a new tiny shrine.  I just need to make a Wepwawet for it and find a box :)

This one... I don't know where it is, but I wish I knew.  This was my pre-Kemetic Orthodox travel shrine to Set.

Closed:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30788931&l=210d2f7277&id=71206783

Set up:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30788929&l=301aa91dcb&id=71206783

Set up and lit:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30788930&l=f9529afeb1&id=71206783

It's hard to see, but that's a bottlecap with a pop top tab in it holding the incense.  The water container is a bottlecap, too.  The statue was Sculpey.
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 08:28:20 pm »
Thank you for sharing!
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 11:05:24 am »
Honestly, I consider my necklaces sort of like travel shrines. I place them on Their (Aset & Wepwawet) shrines when not worn, and they are a walking reminder to act with honor to my 'rents  (and myself-before Aset totally slaps me..lol), within Ma'at, and as a reminder to me that I am a child of Netjer. Not very elaborate, but it works for me.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 01:49:50 pm »
Quote from: Ta_Imu_Aset
Honestly, I consider my necklaces sort of like travel shrines. I place them on Their (Aset & Wepwawet) shrines when not worn, and they are a walking reminder to act with honor to my 'rents  (and myself-before Aset totally slaps me..lol), within Ma'at, and as a reminder to me that I am a child of Netjer. Not very elaborate, but it works for me.

I do the same thing with my Aset necklace.  
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut,  Bast-Mut, Shu, Tefnut

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 02:09:40 pm »
Quote from: TahekerutAset

I do the same thing with my Aset necklace.  

:D Great minds eh..? Lol.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Seshagemseger

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 09:09:11 am »
Em hotep!

For Seshat, my travel shrine is a zippered notebook/planner, with a card in the pocket that has Her image.  It just seems appropriate. :)
Child of Seshat
Beloved of Hethert, Serqet, and Shu
seshat.org / Facebook / LiveJournal

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 10:17:56 am »

:D Great minds eh..? Lol.

Yep!  :-)
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut,  Bast-Mut, Shu, Tefnut

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 01:57:56 pm »
I used to have a travel shrine for Mom.  It was in a metal tea tin (2" diameter round; 4-5" tall).  It contained a small rectangle of cloth, a bronze (ie unbreakable) statue of Mom, a box of mini incense sticks (they're cheap and I've seen them all over the place, but I don't recall the brand), two tea light containers (one for the candles themselves, the other for water), and as many tea lights as I could stuff in the top.  I'm a smoker, so I already have flamage on me, or I would add a lighter as well.

Right now, I have a portable akhu shrine.  It's an old photo album (not perminantly bound, so I can add or remove pages as necessary).  The pages are a black card stock, that one would normally add the black corner tabs to.  I have quotes of prayers and names done in as neat a caligraphic hand as I can manage.  I didn't have any of the corner tabs, so I have been using rubber cement, and that seems to work well.  This can be opened up to any page, and I can then get whatever offerings and containers I can at the time.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 02:00:14 pm by Ankhetbast »
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 08:35:36 pm »
Very lovely everyone! Keep 'em coming! *grin*
Satsenu, Daughter of Two

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 01:41:06 pm »
Of course I forgot to take a picture of it, but I set up a small shrine in my hotel room this week as I was traveling for work.

Space limitations in my luggage prevented me from bringing my full travel shrine (which fits neatly in a cigar box-sized wooden box), so all I brought with me were my 3" statuettes of my Parents and a 3" ankh, stashed in a pastel pink Hello Kitty pencil holder.

In the hotel, I laid out one of their white washcloths on the desk top.  The washcloth had too much texture and my statuettes wouldn't stand.  So I set down my candy bar offerings and used that as statue stands.  My Parents on either side with the ankh in between them.

I loved having this in my hotel room.  This week was so hectic, fast-paced, and chaotic, I was so thankful having this little make-shift shrine to kneel in front of, center and breathe and say a little prayer.

I can only imagine what the housekeeping staff thought of it.  ;)
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 05:46:10 pm »
Em-Hotep-Rh'ekh.
Em-Hotep-Everyoe.

This whole thread is really neat. I am really considering to make a traveling shrine myself, seeing as I enjoy traveling. It is always a hassle to carry around the larger statues let alone the small naos I built.

To Taqaisenu: I really like your story. I know what you mean my the towel being to textury, and I smiled a bit when you said you used the candy bars to 'support' them: kind of a duel offering no?

On a rather 'strange' side not to you story Taqaisenu, I would not expect that the ladies who do the House-Keeping at the Hotel to find your shrine odd. The sometimes sad truth is most of the woman who do this job are woman who are not from the US originally, and/or have a very 'Latin-American' background Culture. I currently am residing in Mexico, though I have lived in several parts of South America. No matter where you go, you will see shrines: On the side of the highway, on street corners, in storefront windows, in people's gardens or in their homes, in Walmart!... This always struck me as fascinating. While all these shrines are for one or a few of the Christian/Catholic saints, you do not say this really anywhere in the States. You might find a statue of the Virgin Marry or Saint Paul or Jesus in the front yard of an (generally speaking) older-person's home, you do not see massive shrines; with offering! For me seeing these shrines have become part of daily life now, but I still find it intriguing. People take time out of their day to care for these shrine, give offerings of flowers or bread, even when they are not 'theirs'... and on a side not to this, what is even more interesting is that stores (and even Walmart) sell 'gift-packages' of vegetables and bread to offer to the deceased or to place at a shrine of a Saint. It is a very different culture, but I enjoy it; it is nice to see that people are still devoted to their faith (Even if it is not mine) and do so on a national level. They do not hid behind the ettefice of stone of some nice looking church on the corner of Elm & Main st, they are out on every street. This does bring a smile to my face :)

.... So, to answer finally finalize my response ( ;) ) No, I do not think for one moment the House-Keeping staff would have thought you or your shrine odd... just perhaps that the statuettes were not of a Saint.

Senabty.    
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 06:13:58 pm »
Quote from: Taqaisenu
I can only imagine what the housekeeping staff thought of it.  ;)

Em hotep Taqai!

This reminds me of the little shrine that always develops in our room at Wep Ronpet. I miss the Wesir, Sokar, and Bes shrine. It seems like the strangest sorts of offerings end up there, and housekeeping has never bothered it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Raheri »
Sa Wesir-Sokar, mery Nut her Djehuty
Heri-sesheta Wesir

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal