collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Travel Shrines  (Read 36372 times)

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Travel Shrines
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 06:22:13 pm »
Quote from: Imsetra_Imsety
No matter where you go, you will see shrines: On the side of the highway, on street corners, in storefront windows, in people's gardens or in their homes, in Walmart!... This always struck me as fascinating. While all these shrines are for one or a few of the Christian/Catholic saints, you do not say this really anywhere in the States. You might find a statue of the Virgin Marry or Saint Paul or Jesus in the front yard of an (generally speaking) older-person's home, you do not see massive shrines; with offering! For me seeing these shrines have become part of daily life now, but I still find it intriguing. People take time out of their day to care for these shrine, give offerings of flowers or bread, even when they are not 'theirs'... and on a side not to this, what is even more interesting is that stores (and even Walmart) sell 'gift-packages' of vegetables and bread to offer to the deceased or to place at a shrine of a Saint. It is a very different culture, but I enjoy it; it is nice to see that people are still devoted to their faith (Even if it is not mine) and do so on a national level. They do not hid behind the ettefice of stone of some nice looking church on the corner of Elm & Main st, they are out on every street. This does bring a smile to my face

Em hotep Imsetra!

Those shrines are here in the USA, you just have to know where to find them. I have seen them in here in my town. There is a large tree in a cemetery here in town covered in rosaries and pictures of Jesus and the Saints, that many people have visited. There is even a guest book there you can sign. I have seen shrines in stores, restaurants, and along the highway. Have you ever seen those crosses on the highway where someone was killed. Those are Akhu shrines. Near St Louis there is a Shrine to the Black Madonna, which I hope to visit one day. I admit, the USA doesn't have the magnitude of shrines like Mexico, but Mexico is a dominantly Catholic nation where such things are more common place. But we have ours here in America too. They are just different.

Senebty.

Raheri
Sa Wesir-Sokar, mery Nut her Djehuty
Heri-sesheta Wesir

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 07:17:04 pm »
Quote from: Imsetra_Imsety
So, to answer finally finalize my response ( ;) ) No, I do not think for one moment the House-Keeping staff would have thought you or your shrine odd... just perhaps that the statuettes were not of a Saint.

Hehe I guess perhaps I should throw in that (1) it was a Kemetic / Egyptian mini shrine, (2) during a week of civil unrest in Egypt, (3) in the same hotel used to put up the Secret Service during training.

If I am not on a list somewhere, I certainly should be. ;)
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.

Offline Rev. Ihhyensenu

• Fundraising Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 06:44:40 am »
Em Hotep!

When i work on a cruiseliner and at training, i took my mini statues with me in a carved resin box, a small bit of cloth and a tea light (unlit sadly) served pretty well. My cabin mates saw it one day and asked what is it, i told them and they were okay.

Now i keep my door locked and whatnot but i guess one day i forgot, came back down after my shift to find my statue of Isis broke in half on the floor and a note from the room inspector requesting my time. I had no idea what for but as i cleaned up Isis, i found my box cloth and all was missing. beyond mad i asked my cabin mates. but they didn't know.

The next day i was excused from the first hour of my shift to speak with the inspector, he had my box and all the items on a table along with a small book of prayers. he asked what i was thinking about bringing these items on the ship. I questioned back that is there a rule aganist religion on a US flagged vessel, that stumped him. I collected my items, turned and walked away.

Needless to say i'm much more aware of my alter when traveling. But i do carry my craved box with my mini's whereever i travel.

Rev. Ihhyensenu
"Acclaimed by Two"
Sat Sekhmet-Mut her Amun-Ra, meryt Yinepu-Wepwawet
W'ab Nekhen Senwy Nisut

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 09:34:54 pm »
I just built part of a new travel shrine that I'm psyched about.  There are no offering bowls and there's no incense, but there are candles and statues.  The camera quality leaves a little to be desired, but you can see it:

Outside, it's a painted box:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=37629371&l=92c9899dd3&id=71206783

The statues fit great inside:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=37629372&l=246b01d5c1&id=71206783

And set up:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=37629373&l=cf5a27bcfd&id=71206783

(I love how you can totally see my Wiccan-like altar which this was photographed on.  I'm not a lush, I use glass bottles for candle holders.)
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 07:21:07 am »
Your travel shrine is awesome, Setkheni!  I so love your icons, and the image of Father painted on the box is lovely.  If I could trust myself not to ruin it, I'd love to do the same to mine!
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Iwaat

• Shemsu
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 04:55:40 pm »
while i dont have a travel shrine exactly, it is nice to see the ones others have :3.
~Iwa'at Bast-Mut~
Bast-Mut's Heritage
Sat Bast-mut
Meryt Nebthet-Nit-Seshat her Hethert-Sekhmet
*Sau apprentice*

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 02:52:55 pm »
Very nice!  ^_^  (the Moms are poking me for something like that now....I'll get you for this...and your travel shrine too!)  ^_^

Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Priest of Nebt-het and Serqet
Beloved of Ptah and Tasenetnofret
revdwinterfeldt@kemet.org

Offline Qefathethert

• Shemsu
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 04:47:02 pm »
Hetep, I, personally, would be enraged beyond belief if someone stole and BROKE part of my altar. Your response was likely the best, but I'm not sure what I'd do. Rain down curses and call the ACLU or something. X-D
I once had a vindictive roommate who called the police on me, telling them I was selling drugs out of my room. At the time, I had quite a collection of herbs, because I was learning herbal magic through Stregheria. As soon as those cops starting going through my jars and my altar, I raised holy hell, shrieked that they were disturbing my holy space, this was completely against my constitutional rights, I was going to call my lawyer, sue the department, the school, AND the ex-roommate!
They left quickly. :P
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Bast-Mut her Set.
Devoted to Khonsu

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 09:39:28 am »
Does anyone else have a lovely travel shrine to share?
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Iaityinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 06:45:00 am »
I have just made a  new mini-travel shrine. It fits in my handbag. It's for my mid-day prayers so I can do them whether I am home or not.

This is the box. It technically is my husband's and was just lying around the house. It is a temporary box, but a perfect size. I have a ruler bookmark next to it to give you an indication of it's size. It's about 3 1/2 inches long.

With the lid off. You can see the white, sparkly cloth I use to cover the lid as an alter cloth.

Open. You can see the 3 statues with the candle (there is also incense and stones stuck in there. I have a piece of white sparkly linen which is kept on top. It's on the lid at the bottom of the photo.

With the statues that Setkheni made me out of the box. Yinepu, Candle, Incense stick, Satet and Amun-Ra on the white cloth (on top of the lid of the box). You can see the stones in the box.

The 'guys' - Yinepu, Satet, Amun-Ra, sitting on cloth (on top of the lid). Satet and Amun-Ra are slightly fluffly still.. they are slowly (and delicately) having the fluff from their transit here (cotton balls and sticky gloss don't really go together) removed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Iaityinepu »
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet Meryt Satet her Amun-Ra
Iait (with an i, not an L): Adoring

I offer affordable guidance readings, distant healing and developmental courses.  Please take a look - Readings by Caroline

Offline HehiAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 12:10:31 pm »
Good for you Iait !

I have had one for years, function but not as nice nor as small.

However it is rare that one can use candles or incense in hotels, boats or aircraft, so it tends to lie unused in the Shrine!

I hope you find more use for yours!

Senebty
Hehi

Sa Aset-Serqet,her Hekatawy1(AUS!)
meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Aset makes you bright,and makes  fair ways of vindication against your foes,and those who would have judgment against you in the realm of the dead"

Coffin Texts

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 01:52:35 pm »
Yesterday I was talking with my brother, Awetitu, about the travel shrine kit he made for me several years ago.  Yes, I confirmed, I still use it.  Not only do I still use it, it gets used frequently!  I finally took some pictures for folks to see.  I love it!

This is my travel shrine: pic link

It's not tiny, but it is compact.  The icons are 3" in height.  Under that white cotton washcloth is a wooden box that fits all of the components.

This is my deconstructed travel shrine:   pic link

It fits my small statues, a tea candle and candle holder, box of matches.  That's a small white canister of natron in the front center.  Plus a vial of fragrance oil, in lieu of incense.

Travel is so easy.  Stuff goes in the box.  Box goes in the suitcase.  The cloth helps protect the items from shifting around during travel.  It's wonderful having this travel shrine; it makes a lonely hotel room feel like home.

I have the best siblings in the world!! :D
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Senytmenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 04:34:32 pm »
Em hotep, Taqai,

Those small pewter statuettes make for a perfect compact shrine set-up.  I always take my small statues of Wepwawet and Sekhmet whenever I travel... and I have a few others as well.  :)

In fact, such a "travel shrine" would also be good for those who have space limitations, such as dorm students.

Senebty!
Senut
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Senytmenu »
Senytmenu (The Two Endure)
Sat Sekhmet & Wepwawet
Meryt Bast, Set & Aset
Heri-seshta Sekhmet

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 05:44:19 am »
Senut, may I ask if objects one can wear on one's body (necklaces, for one) and/or in the pockets (small enough, as mini albums with pictures of the netjeru) could be considered a mini-travel shrine?

I have a very limited space even as a dormitory inhabitant, and have a strong preference to not leave my sacred objects in the presence of people that might just move it if thinking these are making disorder in how *they* think the place should be organized.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Tasaiserqet »
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.
Sa Wepwawet-Ra her Bast, KO Sa Serqet.
Friend to Khepera and Sobek-Ra.

Tarot reader for Wepwawet & Serqet.

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2011, 04:36:51 pm »
My travel shrine is really just my iPod, it has a copy of "The Pyramid Texts" on it.
Email! ankh74859@gmail.com

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal