Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 65
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 1

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Info about Min?  (Read 11346 times)

Info about Min?
« on: December 24, 2010, 02:03:09 am »
I am interested in learning more about Netjer Min. Can anyone give me any insight or help?

Thanks in advance!

Ankh Udja Seneb to all.
Son of Amun-Ra, beloved of Sutekh and Heru-sa-aset!

Seper-en-Amunra: This is my Kemetic Name. It means Appeal to Amun-Ra

Please visit my site dedicated to Dad: templeofamun.weebly.com. Thanks!

Offline Devo

• Remetj
Re: Info about Min?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:11:44 am »
What specifically are you wanting to learn about him?

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 11:52:16 am »
I know there are some threads around about Min, hopefully someone (Nai?) has links.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 12:43:05 pm »
The index thread lists this thread as being related to Min:

http://www.netjer.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=67046

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Naisenu

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 04:08:48 pm »
I would suggest bringing this thread to the attention of Khusi; he's (currently) our only Shemsu with Min in his lineup (as a beloved).

Other good reading: Min, God of Fertility, Power, and the Eastern Desert

This is what I do have on Min though: (http://wepwawet.org/wiki/index.php?title=Min)
Name meaning: The Firm One

Min was depicted as wearing a crown with feathers, and holding his penis erect in his left hand (a reference to fertility). He holds a flail in his bent right hand. Min wears a red ribbon around his forehead that trails to the ground. Min also has black skin representing the fertile black mud of the Nile's inundation.

Two of his main cult centres:
Qift Greek: Coptos
Akhmim

Suitable offerings:Pulling the cached entry for Min from our website (it appears to be down for maintenance):
Min (Menu, Amsu) - "The Firm One" Originally probably a fertility-Name worshipped at Qubt (GR Coptos), even in Predynastic times, Min became associated with nearby Amen of Uaset and eventually an alternate depiction of the King of the Netjeru in all manner of temples and monuments. Min's image caused consternation both among the early Coptic Christians (who routinely defaced His monuments in temples they co-opted) and Victorian Egyptologists, who would take waist-up photographs of Min, or otherwise find ways to cover His protruding manhood (Min is always depicted ithyphallic, or with erect and uncovered phallus). Min's cult celebrated the fertility of the land with special festivals. The long-leaf lettuce which was Min's favorite food was also (probably not coincidentally) considered a powerful aphrodisiac. As this same lettuce is in later mythological cycles said to be the favorite food of Set, there may be a connection between the two Names as yet undiscovered.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Naisenu »

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 03:21:04 am »
Em-Hotep-Rh'ekh,

Min is a Netjer that I am rather close to; he is in one way my 'father' so to say, seeing as I was born in the month dedicated in his majesty. There is a lot of information out there on Min, and like information on most of the Netjer, it can become a little confusing. For Example: above Niasenu stated that Min in time became connected with Amun (Amun-Ra) of Karnak; resembling the great Netjer in many forms: the plumed crown to name one off hand. Though, Min is also called the 'Child of Aset and Usir' seeing as his fertile nature falls directly in line with Usir being connected with agriculture.

Above all, Min is a Netjer of Fertility; both physically and metaphorically. Also as Niasenu mentioned, Min was often given lettuce as an offering. Particularly wild lettuce; this is because the wild lettuce in Egypt grew long and somewhat ridged leaves. It also would secret a milk-like substance when rubbed... all these aspects made the ancient Egyptians feel that this plant was closely linked to the phallus of Min. As well, Min was strongly linked to the white bull; a white bull due to its color and the connection between semen; as well as because to the Egyptians white was a pure color (this is why some believe temple walls were painted white: and why Karnak was sometimes referred to as the 'White-Chapel'). He was also connected with the bull because the Egyptian revered the sexual might of the bull for many reasons: one was for its phallic size and its strong urge to reproduce.

In my personal experience with Min, he loves the offerings of lettuce; especial romaine lettuce. He also like fine liquors like Kahlua and Frangelico in small amounts. On occasion he has enjoyed a nice slice of salted bison meat. As well he does seem to enjoy offerings of rush and white lilies.

Hope this information is of help to you :)

Senabty-Rh'ekh  
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 08:56:19 am »
Em hotep Imsetra_Imsety *henu*,

it's new to me that Karnak as a whole was called "the White Chapelle", I am only aware of a chapel built for the Sed festival of Senusret I which is called the White Chapel.
May I ask where you read this?

Thanks

Tanebet
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 09:36:38 am »
I would have to say Min would appreciate a good margarita or tequila in general. It makes a lot of sense to me based on past experience with the two. ;)
Son of Wesir | Heri-sesheta

"O my heart which I had from my mother,
Do not rise up agianst me as a witness in the presence of the Lord of Things;
Do not bring up anything agianst me in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the West."

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 11:17:13 am »
Quote from: Imsetra_Imsety
Though, Min is also called the 'Child of Aset and Usir' seeing as his fertile nature falls directly in line with Usir being connected with agriculture.

I haven't come across Min being the child of Aset and Asar, but I have read that in some stories, he is the husband to Aset. Either way, he seems linked to her in one fashion or another.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Tanebet

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 01:00:07 pm »
The syncretized Name Min-Heru was seen as form if Heru-Sa-Aset and as such Min could be seen as son of Aset and Wesir. But as I said, it was a syncretized form.

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 04:26:56 pm »
All I have found-recently-(and this may just be me) that Min likes lighters, and fire. He wants to be "owner" of my shrine lighters....
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 04:23:00 am »
Em-Hotep-Rh'ekh,

To Devo: In some texts Min is said to be in unison with Heru; a sort of twin essence if you will, through a name of Her-Mn (Heru-Min). In my personal review and feelings when I read through the story of Heru's birth, I can see how Min would be linked to Heru in such a fashion. Heru was born through an oral act. For one, we know this is impossible for us humans; thus I feel Heru being born through such an act needed some sort of 'magical' assistance from which Aset could not conjure alone. This in my opinion is Min. Not only is Min a fertility Netjer, he is called the Lord of Resurrection. The way I see it, during the bestowing of the Breath of Life from Aset to Usir, Min was there. He was the force behind Aset's heka which allowed Usir to live again as well as allow the two to give birth to a son without sex.

As well, he is quoted as a son of both Usir and Aset in a hymn dedicated to him where it says: "...God of the High Plumes, Son of Osiris and Isis, venerated in Ipu..." You can find this small excerpt I believe on the TourEgypt website under Min.

To Tanebet:  I suppose I have been mislead in my thoughts. I did not realize that only the Opet Shrine in Karnak was named the 'White Chapel'. I suppose, whenever it was I first read or heard this fact, I incorrectly assumed it pertained to the whole Temple Complex; seeing as it was plastered white... and I might be mistaken as well here, but I swear I read somewhere that Ipet-Isut was quoted as the 'White-Mansion of Amun-Ra. :confused:

To Ta_Imu_Aset:  You know, it is funny you mentioned the interest with Min an fire. My shrine for him has the most candles out of all my shrines, because he is just enthralled with the 'dancing flames'. Now, I do not know if you are interested with Chinese Zodiac stuff, but my Zodiac animal is the Horse and my element is fire... very strange if you think about it... because horses are often called 'studs' (for, um, the phallic reason :blush: ) and the fact that I was born in the month of Min and he is deeply intrigued with fire and that is my element! It all just seems to 'coincidental' if you ask me. I just find these connections so interesting :)

Senabty-Rh'ekh

Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Tanebet

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 10:01:25 am »
Em Hotep Imsetra_Imsety *henu*,

I would highly appreciate if you could name the texts you are refering to when saying "in some texts Min is said to be in unison with Heru." I am really curious here.
I wouldn't exactly say that the Aset conceived Heru orally or without sex, because in Spell 366 of the Pyramid texts it is said
Your sister Isis comes to you rejoicing for love of you. You have placed her on your phallus and your seed issues into her

Senebty
Tanebet

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 12:52:47 pm »
Quote from: Tanebet
Em Hotep Imsetra_Imsety *henu*,

I would highly appreciate if you could name the texts you are refering to when saying "in some texts Min is said to be in unison with Heru." I am really curious here.
I wouldn't exactly say that the Aset conceived Heru orally or without sex, because in Spell 366 of the Pyramid texts it is said
Your sister Isis comes to you rejoicing for love of you. You have placed her on your phallus and your seed issues into her

Senebty
Tanebet

In the Coffin Texts there is a Spell where Aset does conceive Heru-sa-Aset through getting struck by lightning.  

But I think there are many more like what you've quoted above.  
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het her Wepwawet her Sekhmet-Mut her Ra

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 02:04:03 pm »
Quote from: Tanebet

Though I'm not sure if I'm understanding the question right (I'm not all here today), there is a section in the Prayerbook that references "Min-Heru" on page 61, for what it's worth. I'm not sure what the source of the Litany is, but it is there.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3007
  • stats Total Posts: 288174
  • stats Total Topics: 19541
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217